ERA Agent installation issues on Debian 9

Trying to get the ERA agent installed on a minimal Debian 9.

Running 

./EraAgentInstaller.sh

Nets the following output

--2018-11-03 21:43:32--  hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v6/6.5.417.0/agent_linux_i386.sh
Resolving repository.eset.com (repository.eset.com)... 38.90.226.20
Connecting to repository.eset.com (repository.eset.com)|38.90.226.20|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 32470802 (31M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘/tmp/tmp.gDnpwLxWjG’

/tmp/tmp.gDnpwLxWjG          100%[===========================================>]  30.97M  60.9MB/s    in 0.5s

2018-11-03 21:43:32 (60.9 MB/s) - ‘/tmp/tmp.gDnpwLxWjG’ saved [32470802/32470802]

Checking integrity of installer script /tmp/tmp.gDnpwLxWjG: OK

Running installer script /tmp/tmp.gDnpwLxWjG

Initialized log file: /var/log/eset/RemoteAdministrator/EraAgentInstaller.log

ESET Remote Administrator Agent Installer (version: 6.5.417.0), Copyright © 1992-2017 ESET, spol. s r.o. - All rights reserved.

Creating directories...
Creating 'install' directory path: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
Creating 'config' directory path: /etc/opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
Creating 'data' directory path: /var/opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
Creating 'logs' directory path: /var/log/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
Creating 'libs' directory path: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
Directories created
Cleaning database scripts from path: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/setup/Database
The archive will be extracted to: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
Extracting, please wait...
Checking OpenSSL ... failure
: Error occurred while checking OpenSSL

The EraAgentInstaller Log doesn't give more info:

2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: *******************************************
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Initialized log file: /var/log/eset/RemoteAdministrator/EraAgentInstaller.log
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Creating directories...
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Creating 'install' directory path: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Creating 'config' directory path: /etc/opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Creating 'data' directory path: /var/opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Creating 'logs' directory path: /var/log/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Creating 'libs' directory path: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Directories created
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Cleaning database scripts from path: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/setup/Database
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: The archive will be extracted to: /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent
2018-11-03 21:43:34 Information: Installer: Extracting, please wait...
2018-11-03 21:43:35 Information: Installer: Checking OpenSSL ...
2018-11-03 21:43:35 Information: DepCheckOpenSSL: Action invoked with:  --cert-auth-content ********** --cert-auth-path "" --cert-auth-temp-path "" --cert-content ********** --cert-password ********** --cert-password-is-base64 ********** --cert-path "" --cert-temp-path "" --cert-to-check-password ********** --cert-to-check-path "" --computer-added-uuid "" --computer-group-choice DEFAULT --connection-chosen host --current-version 6.5.417.0 --db-connectors-dir "" --db-path /var/opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/data.db --db-scripts-dir /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/setup/Database --db-type SQLite --db-upgrade "" --era-lib-dir /opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/ --hostname "" --initial-static-group ZTRhNzIxZTAtZTUxYi00OGJmLTg4ZGQtODc0MTMyYTczYTJlMXD76uAIRvGaG3u7rFDqNc9J98qN6UCbrVBVGDVzPLPofrWC45eeTi2hyapQzEKuwpuBbg== --installed "" --installed-version "" --log-sequence-id "" --modules-dir /var/opt/eset/RemoteAdministrator/Agent/Modules/ --port 2222 --product-guid "" --product-name Agent --replication-interval "" --server-cert-temp-path "" --upgrade "" --webconsole-hostname "" --webconsole-password ********** --webconsole-port 2223 --webconsole-use-domain "" --webconsole-user Administrator
2018-11-03 21:43:35 Error: DepCheckOpenSSL: Error getting OpenSSL version
2018-11-03 21:43:35 Information: Installer: Failed dependency check for OpenSSL.
2018-11-03 21:43:35 Information: Installer: : Error occurred while checking OpenSSL

I have verified that OpenSSL is installed, currently version 1.1.0f.

I found a 3 year old post here referencing the same error message, but nothing else, but I really hope this is a config issue on my machine, and not the fact that the installer still doesn't support OpenSSL 1.1.*.

Before I go crazy and start screwing with older versions of OpenSSL, anything obvious (or not so obvious) that I am missing? 

2 hours ago, Peter_J said:

Hi Joe,

indeed, OpenSSL 1.1.* is not supported, as stated in the Online Help:

https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/70/en-US/agent_prerequisites.html

You need to downgrade it to a supported version.

Thank you.  It seems that the online help has been updated since I viewed it on Friday. At that time, it just stated a minimum version, not that 1.1.* is not supported.

Regarding versions, given that 1.0.1 has not been updated officially for 2 years, and it is not explicitly stated in the prereqs at this time, is 1.0.2 supported?  If I am going to downgrade my OpenSSL version, I need to be reasonably sure that I do not leave significant OpenSSL vunerabilities open, and I can only do this by downgrading to 1.0.2

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, Joe Alcorn said:

Thank you.  It seems that the online help has been updated since I viewed it on Friday. At that time, it just stated a minimum version, not that 1.1.* is not supported.

Regarding versions, given that 1.0.1 has not been updated officially for 2 years, and it is not explicitly stated in the prereqs at this time, is 1.0.2 supported?  If I am going to downgrade my OpenSSL version, I need to be reasonably sure that I do not leave significant OpenSSL vunerabilities open, and I can only do this by downgrading to 1.0.2

Yes, version 1.0.2 should work correctly. Also I would recommend to leave openssl 1.1.0 installed, side-by-side with openssl 1.0.2 -> this should be possible as that is how those versions are packaged. In my environment, this was working properly, and system itself (other packages) was using newer openssl as expected.

For anyone else looking at this, this is what finally worked for me:

as a refresher, i am running Debian 9 (stretch), amd64.

I ran the following before doing anything with the ESET installer:

apt remove libssl-dev:amd64
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt update
apt install libc6:i386 -y

The first line was a suggestion by ESET support, and it does indeed allow the installer to run.  If you do that all by itself, if you are running the amd64 arch, the eraagent service will work, but the actual server security agent (esets) will not start, as it is i386...

In order to get esets working, you need to setup multiarch support, which the other three lines do.

Once everything is successful, run the ESET installer, and everything should work.