Jump to content

Smart Security Upgrade Question


Recommended Posts

Can Internet Security be upgraded to Smart Security by simply entering a Smart Security license key? I believe both products internally are identical with Smart Security features disabled in Internet Security.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An (old) ESS license will only allow a person to use an (old) version of ESS or (newer) EIS or NOD32. It would not allow an upgrade to (newer) ESSP.

It's all a matter of cost.

See item II. in https://support.eset.com/kb6269/

also see https://support.eset.com/kb6584/

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
52 minutes ago, itman said:

Can Internet Security be upgraded to Smart Security by simply entering a Smart Security license key? I believe both products internally are identical with Smart Security features disabled in Internet Security.

They are almost identical to eachother , ESS just have Password Manager and Secure Data over Internet Security.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, TomFace said:

An (old) ESS license will only allow a person to use an (old) version of ESS or (newer) EIS or NOD32. It would not allow an upgrade to (newer) ESSP.

It's all a matter of cost.

See item II. in https://support.eset.com/kb6269/

also see https://support.eset.com/kb6584/

Regards,

Tom

No, this is a new SS license. I believe what is stated here: https://support.eset.com/kb6584/ should to the trick. When you enter the new SS license key, you will be then given an option to upgrade to SS from IS.

My main concern is I don't want to lose my existing IS settings. I am not 100% sure that an import of existing IS settings will work in SS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well if it's a ESSP license, I wouldn't think you would have any issues loosing settings as it should be the same as a version overlay (in my opinion). I'd just follow the change your product/post install directions  https://support.eset.com/kb6584/

What threw me off was the term "Smart Security" as it only exists today in the form of ESSP.  

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TomFace said:

What threw me off was the term "Smart Security" as it only exists today in the form of ESSP.  

Yeah, Eset licensing terminology gets more confusing by the day. Perhaps when they introduce ESSP, they should have named it Eset Internet Security Premium to differentiate it from the old Smart Security version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
15 minutes ago, itman said:

Yeah, Eset licensing terminology gets more confusing by the day. Perhaps when they introduce ESSP, they should have named it Eset Internet Security Premium to differentiate it from the old Smart Security version.

When installing V12 , ESET gets renamed to ESET Security , I think in the future we will have ESET Security and then ESET Security Premium which should replace the ESET Smart Security.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rami said:

When installing V12 , ESET gets renamed to ESET Security , I think in the future we will have ESET Security and then ESET Security Premium which should replace the ESET Smart Security.

It's up to ESET to decide what to call their product. To avoid confusion for newcomers, the fact is (for Windows) older ESS licenses for sale, issued prior to ESSP's introduction (like on Amazon) will equate to ESET Internet Security (EIS), not the Premium version.

The future is now. ESET Smart Security (ESSdid evolve into ESET Internet Security (EIS) with the advent of ESET Smart Security Premium (ESSP).

We should do our best (as Forum members) to not confuse new/future ESET users/customers. We are here to help...not hinder.

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace
grammar correction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members

I understand this @TomFace, I know that it's up to them what to name their product , as I also was using ESET Smart Security and then switched to Internet Security due to their naming , but them renaming to Security made me think that they might rename ESET Smart Security Premium also , it's only my opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...