Why incorperate a password in advanced settings by default?

From your product user guide,  puzzled by this????

6.7 How to unlock Advanced setup

When you want to access protected Advanced setup, the window for entering the password is displayed. If you
forget or lose your password, click the Restore password option below and enter the email address you used for
license registration. ESET will send you an email with the verification code. Enter the verification code and then
write and confirm the new password. The verification code is valid for 7 days.
You can also restore password via your my.eset.com account. Use this option, if the license is associated with your
ESET License Manager.
If you cannot remember your email address, click I don't know my email address and you will be redirected to the
ESET website to quickly contact our Customer Care department.
Generate code for Customer Care – This option will generate the code to be provided to Customer Care. Copy the
code provided by Customer Care and click I have a verification code. Enter the verification code and then write and
confirm the new password. The verification code is valid for 7 days.

When you want to access protected Advanced setup  As i read it implied that it was password protected by default, Are you saying that this is user defined, ie you don't have to have it?

31 minutes ago, tommy456 said:

When you want to access protected Advanced setup  As i read it implied that it was password protected by default, Are you saying that this is user defined, ie you don't have to have it?

I've NEVER had a password on my advanced setup. Matter of fact, I didn't know you could have one until I read this and went hunting through the settings. Maybe I just breezed by it during initial setup or something, but I can confirm that there is no password by default. I do see, now that I've gone looking for it, that there is in fact an area in the advanced setup section where you can enable it and set a password of your choosing.

Go to the help and support section of your ESET product and then search "Password".  This will give you an explanation as shown below. It is a user defined setting. The purpose is to prevent unauthorized changes/access to your established settings. It is optional.

I use it, just be aware you will be asked for your password to do "some" things (i.e.... stop a scheduled scan, anything in advanced setup...etc).

password.thumb.jpg.7c69e064fe30d90d8ff3d3d26a860006.jpg

Edited by TomFace

It was just the way it read in the guide, i thought they had changed it, so it was reliant on an online account  which IMO wouldn't be a good move only a hindrance to those who do not use or want this feature

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, tommy456 said:

It was just the way it read in the guide, i thought they had changed it, so it was reliant on an online account  which IMO wouldn't be a good move only a hindrance to those who do not use or want this feature

It doesn't require an account at my.eset.com. You can choose to send an email with a validation link to your registration email address or generate a code for customer care:

image.png