Error: Torrent is not a valid Win32 application

ESET NOD32 32-bit v12.0.27.0 blocks downloaded torrent-file as not a valid W32 application:

When I download a torrent-file from a torrent website, ESET NOD32 blocks this torrent-file with the error message: ????.torrent is not a valid Win32 application.

I have unchecked "detection of potential unsafe applications" and added torrent.exe as an exclusion from scanning.

Nothing worked except disabling NOD32.

Please advice.

• Administrators

If you have excluded the PUA by its detection name, it should not be detected the next time you download it.

You can post a screen shot of the PUA exclusion so that we can check it out and make sure it's set up correctly.

• Most Valued Members

@dumbenis, Don't exclude uTorrent as it's not recommended because sometimes you might get malicious files through a torrent

I don't know what is causing the problems you had , never had any problem with Torrents and ESET , but I do use a different torrent software , I do use Deluge(open-source, without ads and stuff that uTorrents add unless you bought it) and use magnet-urls for downloading the torrent or just download the torrent and run it in Deluge without any trouble

Can you post a screenshot of the detection from ESET?

EDIT : If you download Ubuntu torrent for a test, will it still get detected? - hxxp://releases.ubuntu.com/18.10/ubuntu-18.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

Edited by Rami

• Most Valued Members

Argh I didn't pay attention , Why are you still using Windows XP? :blink:

Microsoft has dropped Windows XP support and doesn't release any updates for it.

Yes, XP SP4 POSReady. Supported up to April 9, 2019 by Microsoft, with regular updates and patches.

So, what should I do?

• back to NOD32 v11?
  • excluding uTorrent?

Please advice.

• Administrators

In v9 it's also possible to exclude a specific detection by name by expanding advanced options in the yellow alert and selecting "Exclude signature from detection".