Linux File security and how to manage in ERA

Hi,

I want to install file security on Linux server (Oracle), and manage the servers on ERA 6.5. There is no all in one installer support for linux as it is for windows. Can you please provide steps for the installation of file security on oracle Linux and how to manage in ERA.

ERA: 6.5 (installed on windows)

Thanks

• ESET Staff

You have to install AGENT on that machine, manually or using so called AGENT live-installers. Once done, you can use Software installation task do deploy product.

1 hour ago, MartinK said:

You have to install AGENT on that machine, manually or using so called AGENT live-installers. Once done, you can use Software installation task do deploy product.

Basically it generates bash script inside tar.gz archive?

33 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

Yes. 

Agent did install correctly, but I'm unable to install binary.

This is clean virtual machine guest Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS. I tried pushing ESET Antivirus for Linux 4.0.90.0

image.thumb.png.65b817bd40e7c95a7513c1bf182b1e4b.png

• ESET Staff

Please double check all UEAVBE4 dependencies are already installed on the machine. If I recall correctly, i386 version of libc is required (even on x64 system), and also few other libraries, including gtk. Details should be available in product documentation.

In case you are preparing deployment on larger amount of similar systems I would recommend to installs manually first to verify everything works.

3 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Please double check all UEAVBE4 dependencies are already installed on the machine. If I recall correctly, i386 version of libc is required (even on x64 system), and also few other libraries, including gtk. Details should be available in product documentation. 

In case you are preparing deployment on larger amount of similar systems I would recommend to installs manually first to verify everything works.

This is test environment. I tried to install it manually, but got error:

image.png.d6e5f5f2ab12208ff3b71e1330d3d81d.png

3 hours ago, MichalJ said:

What other product is installed on the system? 

Only agent. However, there was attempt made to install ESET File Security for Linux/FreeBSD which failed. After that I manually tried to install ESET Antivirus for Linux.

Thanks for the help.

I was able to install ESETAgent and it is communicating with ERA server and I was able to install Linux file security using “software installer” from ERA (Admin->Software install->new task)

Task completed successfully but I’m not able to start the eset service.

administrator@test-pc-test ~]$ systemctl status esets.service

● esets.service - ESET Scanner Daemon

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/esets.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-10-09 12:06:09 +03; 7min ago

Process: 1151 ExecStart=/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Oct 09 12:06:09 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Starting ESET Scanner Daemon...

Oct 09 12:06:09 test-pc-test systemd[1]: esets.service: control process exit...3

Oct 09 12:06:09 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Failed to start ESET Scanner Daemon.

Oct 09 12:06:09 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Unit esets.service entered failed s....

Oct 09 12:06:09 test-pc-test systemd[1]: esets.service failed.

Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

• ESET Staff

I would recommend to double check system requirements for security product you installed. I am not familiar with Oracle  Linux, but maybe enabled SELinux is causing problems? Or there are missing dependencies result in product's inability to start...

40 minutes ago, MartinK said:

I would recommend to double check system requirements for security product you installed. I am not familiar with Oracle  Linux, but maybe enabled SELinux is causing problems? Or there are missing dependencies result in product's inability to start...

You are right, SELinux might be main "problem".

I have disabled SELinux  but issue do not resolve

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#     enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#     permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#     disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= can take one of three two values:
#     targeted - Targeted processes are protected,
#     minimum - Modification of targeted policy. Only selected processes are protected.
#     mls - Multi Level Security protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

administrator@test-pc-test ~]$ systemctl status esets.service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/esets.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-10-11 10:22:34 +03; 9min ago
  Process: 2976 ExecStart=/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Oct 11 10:22:34 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Starting ESET Scanner Daemon...
Oct 11 10:22:34 test-pc-test systemd[1]: esets.service: control process exit...3
Oct 11 10:22:34 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Failed to start ESET Scanner Daemon.
Oct 11 10:22:34 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Unit esets.service entered failed s....
Oct 11 10:22:34 test-pc-test systemd[1]: esets.service failed.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

glibc version is: ldd (GNU libc) 2.17

4.1.12-124.20.1.el7uek.x86_64 kernal version

Not sure where is the problem

I have installed glibc.i686 which was one the dependencies and now when i try to start the esets service i get license not found error. I tried license activation using ERA but i get same error. Please help me how to resolve this issue.

administrator@test-pc-test ~]$ sudo systemctl status esets.service -l
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-10-11 13:03:05 +03; 1 day 2h ago
  Process: 5072 ExecStart=/opt/eset/esets/sbin/esets_daemon (code=exited, status=69)

Oct 11 13:03:05 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Starting ESET Scanner Daemon...
Oct 11 13:03:05 test-pc-test esets_daemon[5072]: error[13d00000]: Cannot initialize scanner: License not found
Oct 11 13:03:05 test-pc-test systemd[1]: esets.service: control process exited, code=exited status=69
Oct 11 13:03:05 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Failed to start ESET Scanner Daemon.
Oct 11 13:03:05 test-pc-test systemd[1]: Unit esets.service entered failed state.
Oct 11 13:03:05 test-pc-test systemd[1]: esets.service failed.

Thanks

• ESET Staff

Seems that activation from ERA/ESMC does not work (not sure whether it actually should work - it is possible it is present in ERA task to support upgrades). Please check product documentation, especially steps how to import license. In order to activate, you will need offline/legacy license file - see steps of how to get one from ELA portal.

Thanks for the help

1. I download the license legacy file and able to import the license but when I checked the license information using ESET web interface it is giving me information of license details (total license of computers)  

2. I created the offline license for Linux file server in ESET license Administrator, but when I download it is downloading in .lf format (no legacy download option available (.lic)).

3. I’m not able to update virus signature. I’m getting error Invalid Username and/or Password. (Linux file security license activated using option 1 mentioned above)

Note: Legacy option is enabled on ESET license administrator in Setting

Edited by Shafiq

• ESET Staff

Hello,

Activation via ESMC/ERA should work. More information on why it failed should be present in Agent logs. That is please create a support ticket (or PM me Agent logs in trace severity from the time of attempted activation)

Thank you very much. I have activated from ERA and run the update. Update has been completed successfully.

I will monitor for next few days.

Again thank you so much ESET