ESET and Malwarebytes – together?

Hi,

I’ve been an eset user for about 10 years and have referred lots of friends to the program

While I’m overall happy with it, from time to time a virus slips through and the fix has been to get Malwarebytes.

So – the questions are,

a) if I have have Malwarebytes, do I still need ESET Smart Security?

b.) Isn’t ESET Smart Security supposed to catch the things Malwarebytes catches? Why would I need both?

c) Do both of these programs work together? Perhaps they compliment each other??? In past years it was taboo to have 2 anti virus programs on the same computer.

I didn’t run malwarebytes for about a year… then

a few days ago got the conduit toolbar Trojan. ESET detected it after it was well infiltrated. I had to boot to a linux utility disc to access the hard drive and remove some of the locked bad files, then ran a full scan with ESET which found 1 more instance. After that full scan, the next day ESET found another (why did it miss it the first time?)…

So, I installed a fresh copy of Malwarebytes and it found 22 infections still on the computer whereas the scan that ESET just completed showed zero.   I’m paid up for another 18 mo with ESET but wondering whether it's worth continuing to use - or as previously asked - perhaps they work well together and one catches a class of problems the other doesn't?

Thank you for your guidance on this. Much appreciated!

Peace

Edited by peace

Good day Peace,

I would like to help you with your questions; but first i would recommend watching the video on Malwarebytes Main home page. Malwarebytes

A few things i would like to mention and also answer your questions myself.

I am not saying you are wrong, but i am in disbelief that virus's are slipping through past ESET.

In the past this may have been possible, 5-10 years ago span. Today's technologies by ESET would probably not allow slipping through if any. ESET Technologies

No Antivirus system is perfect, but ESET is the closest i have utilized.

A. If you have Malwarebytes , yes you will still need ESET. Malwarebytes may have a larger database of Potentially Unwanted Applications ,

however ESET has a larger database of more virulent and dangerous/harmful threats. Yet still has a rather large db of PUA's.

B. These programs work in tandem. One may not catch what the other does, because the two companies have different databases.

C. Yes they compliment each other. Malwarebytes is not an Anti-virus program and does not have the threat catching abilities that ESET has.

Malwarebytes is very good at spotting other secretive PUA and also remnants that are no longer harmful or remain dorment; but MBAM will clean them up anyway.

ESET detects the PUA known as Conduit

So, I installed a fresh copy of Malwarebytes and it found 22 infections still on the computer whereas the scan that ESET just completed showed zero.   I’m paid up for another 18 mo with ESET but wondering whether it's worth continuing to use - or as previously asked - perhaps they work well together and one catches a class of problems the other doesn't?

As i stated earlier MBAM may have just been cleaning up remnants, when ESET actually Quaratined or removed the payload file. or " EXE ".

There have been an abundant of threads regarding these two apps and i know if you search around you will find thousands that use these two together.

This actually prompts me to build a diagram regarding the two side-by-side , and maybe we can help future users who come with questions. :)

Stick around, you may get more help. ;)

Thank you Peace

Edited by Arakasi

Hi peace,

Just to say I've found that Malwarebytes works well together with Eset. Previously had it running alongside Kaspersky for 3 years with no problems at all before switching to Eset.

Followed  hxxp://forums.tweakarena.com/showthread.php?t=53 to set up exclusions in each program to make sure there is no conflict.

Hope this helps.

I use ESET in real-time and Malwarebytes on-demand. As long as you use MBAM in one way or the other it's fine  :)

Also check that you have detection of "Potentially Unwanted Applications" enabled in ESET.

Thanks for all of the great feedback and guidance!

Arakasi - I look forward to seeing your diagram of using the two together. What you say makes sense and I'll simply start running MB more often.

FYI the items ESET did not get were .exe and .dlls in C:\System Volume Information\_restore

LezSee - thanks for the tip on setting up exclusions

SweX - I had previously run MB manually whenever I thought about it...  now wondering if i might need to run more frequently... maybe once a night or at least once a week.

Thanks again!

Peace