Jump to content

Is this a new glitch?


Recommended Posts

I'm not too sure how long had this been going on but yesterday, I happen check for ESET to see if it was in my system icon tray and it wasnt. And I couldnt locate the shortcut in the Desktop, so when I located a shortcut and opened it, it looked like it may have resumed I guess, it didnt seem like it was shut down I guess but it was still running in the background of my computer.

Is this a glitch or something, had anyone's ESET disppeared from their system tray icon at some point?

Also, I happen to add my iCloud email and I noticed I see all emails that are being outbound/sent they have the ESET scanned notice (see attachment) that the emails were scanned to the recipient. It does it for all my email accounts in Outlook, how do I remove this? I still want to keep ESET from scanning any incoming emails for threats? and how can I have ESET automatically disable any HTML or block any attachment in an incoming email to avoid any malware or viruses?

ESET Sig.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suspect the Eset desktop toolbar icon became "hidden."

On the Win 10 desktop lower toolbar right-hand side, click on the "/\"; i.e. up arrow. If the Eset icon is there, drag it down to where ever you want it on the toolbar.

If it keeps showing up "hidden" when you boot the PC, do the following:

1. Right click on the "/\"; i.e. up arrow on the toolbar.

2. Click on Taskbar Settings.

3. Scroll down to the Notification Area settings.

4. Click on "Select which icons appear on the desktop."

5. Ensure that "Eset Main GUI" setting is set to "On."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

As for the tag message in emails, it's added only to infected emails by default. It is not good to rely on the information in the message since authenticity cannot be ensured and malware could add a message that the malicious attachment is clean even though it isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, moeetee said:

how can I have ESET automatically disable any HTML or block any attachment in an incoming email to avoid any malware or viruses?

It can't. You have to select those options within the e-mail client options settings.

The setting for not receiving e-mail in HTML format is usually to only receive e-mail in text format.

As far as attachments go, the setting is usually to display all attachments "in-line." This results in an "icon" showing when the e-mail is opened indicating attachments are present. You must then manually open each one. Otherwise, attachments will auto open when the e-mail is opened.

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, moeetee said:

It does it for all my email accounts in Outlook, how do I remove this?

You can disable scanning of outbound e-mail per the below screen shot:

Eset_Email.thumb.png.a5166efc6d68ec4af4f21dd18380daf2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, itman said:

Suspect the Eset desktop toolbar icon became "hidden."

On the Win 10 desktop lower toolbar right-hand side, click on the "/\"; i.e. up arrow. If the Eset icon is there, drag it down to where ever you want it on the toolbar.

If it keeps showing up "hidden" when you boot the PC, do the following:

1. Right click on the "/\"; i.e. up arrow on the toolbar.

2. Click on Taskbar Settings.

3. Scroll down to the Notification Area settings.

4. Click on "Select which icons appear on the desktop."

5. Ensure that "Eset Main GUI" setting is set to "On."

Thanks for the reply. 

When you say Suspect the Eset desktop toolbar icon became hidden? Are you puzzled by it when you say that or am I reading it wrong?

Also, when I tried to look for it, it wasnt in the toolbar icon until I reopened it. But I am curious as oppose to why that happened. And I dragged the icon back in the toolbar so I dont have to click on the " ^ " icon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

As for the tag message in emails, it's added only to infected emails by default. It is not good to rely on the information in the message since authenticity cannot be ensured and malware could add a message that the malicious attachment is clean even though it isn't.

I don't get it, why is it added by default. How would anyone know if an email is actually infected or not if it just keeps using that tag message?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, itman said:

You can disable scanning of outbound e-mail per the below screen shot:

Eset_Email.thumb.png.a5166efc6d68ec4af4f21dd18380daf2.png

Can I still have it to scan and still remove the tag only for Sent mail? If not, what is the purpose to ESET scanning your own sent mail and leaving that tag signatory message?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, moeetee said:

Can I still have it to scan and still remove the tag only for Sent mail? If not, what is the purpose to ESET scanning your own sent mail and leaving that tag signatory message?

Per @Marcos previous reply and as shown in the below screen shot, the tag per default Eset setting is only supposed to be appended if the outgoing email is infected. So either your outgoing e-mail is infected which doesn't make a lot of sense or there is an Eset bug in regards to this. You can change the setting to "Never" in which case nothing will be appended to the e-mail.

I just sent an e-mail to myself using Thunderbird e-mail client and nothing was appended to it. But Eset doesn't 100% support Thunderbird, so that might not be the reason why the message was not appended if indeed the issue is a bug.

Eset_Email.thumb.png.989e37d6d07de1a0106c6f65912bfd39.png

 

 

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, moeetee said:

But I am curious as oppose to why that happened.

I could never figure out why this occurs at times in Windows. Best explanation is the desktop settings can at times get messed up by new Win updates, new app installs, you name it. Also this is not unique to Eset. I have had it occur with other app icons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, itman said:

Per @Marcos previous reply and as shown in the below screen shot, the tag per default Eset setting is only supposed to be appended if the outgoing email is infected. So either your outgoing e-mail is infected which doesn't make a lot of sense or there is an Eset bug in regards to this. You can change the setting to "Never" in which case nothing will be appended to the e-mail.

I just sent an e-mail to myself using Thunderbird e-mail client and nothing was appended to it. But Eset doesn't 100% support Thunderbird, so that might not be the reason why the message was not appended if indeed the issue is a bug.

Eset_Email.thumb.png.989e37d6d07de1a0106c6f65912bfd39.png

 

 

This is my settings:


I guess I set it to scan all emails including infected, just to entertain my paranoia I guess.
So I should change my Append tag messages to send email to... "To infected email only" right?\

Email Alert Notifications ESET.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, itman said:

Yes.

I just did and tested it, tag is removed to sent mail.

Another question, what benefit is there to have "To all scanned email" append tag messages including non-infected emails? If I converted it to Infected only, or never, does ESET disable its scanning procedure or just the tagging of the messages?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, moeetee said:

If I converted it to Infected only, or never, does ESET disable its scanning procedure or just the tagging of the messages?

Tagging of the e-mail only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, moeetee said:

Is this a glitch or something, had anyone's ESET disppeared from their system tray icon at some point?

It happens all the time to me at boot.

The small blue ESET box appears on the screen, the icon is in the tool bar, then in a flash the UI Icon disappears and goes 'inactive'. Windows states "This notification Icon has become inactive" " It will be shown the next time it becomes active".

I just reboot because I want it there, only once did I have to reboot twice to get it to stay active.

The other thing you can do is find egui.exe in the ESET file in Program Files and run it.

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\egui.exe

That path is for Win 7, don't know about Win 8 or 10.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

It happens all the time to me at boot.

The small blue ESET box appears on the screen, the icon is in the tool bar, then in a flash the UI Icon disappears and goes 'inactive'. Windows states "This notification Icon has become inactive" " It will be shown the next time it becomes active".

I just reboot because I want it there, only once did I have to reboot twice to get it to stay active.

The other thing you can do is find egui.exe in the ESET file in Program Files and run it.

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\egui.exe

That path is for Win 7, don't know about Win 8 or 10.

So if the icon disappears the program discontinues?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, moeetee said:

So if the icon disappears the program discontinues?

No, just the UI (User Interface) link in the System Tray

You can also get to it in your Start Menu, which is another shortcut to egui.exe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

No, just the UI (User Interface) link in the System Tray

You can also get to it in your Start Menu, which is another shortcut to egui.exe

I just dragged it in the taskbar instead of clicking the expansion icon. Do you have Malware Bytes? The app just deleted itself smh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Windows states "This notification Icon has become inactive" " It will be shown the next time it becomes active".

This issue in Win 7 appears to be related to a corrupted Win user account profile. You can refer to this TechNet posting:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/notification-area-icons-missing-at-startup-or/54a96d92-35bd-414f-ae34-0f9eb5fe41db

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...