Future changes to ESET PROTECT (cloud)

TomasP

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The goal of this message thread is to provide ESET with specific feedback on changes and new features you would like to see in future versions of ESET PROTECT Cloud. Please use the following format when providing feedback:

Description: A very-specific one-line description of your feedback.
Detail: A more detailed explanation of your feedback. Please feel free to make this any length, but be sure to use terms everyone can understand. If your suggestion is an extension or update to an existing discussion, please include a link to it in your message.

You are welcome to discuss the merits of each and every suggestion, but keep your comments on topic, concise and thoughtful.  There are other parts of the forum to discuss issues.

NOTE:  When making your requests do not offer general suggestions such as "better detection, HIPS, firewall, cleaning, and so forth."  ESET's threat researchers constantly examine new threats and release updates to the virus signature database and to the modules in order to improve these functions.  Requests must be actionable:  If you have a specific feature or functionality you would like to see added (or improved) please post it here, but general requests to "make things better" or "improve detection" are not helpful because they do not give ESET detailed enough information.  Thank you for your understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I've JUST started going through the documentation, after my test client/agent installs were completed, and haven't seen any of this in the documentation:

1. two factor authentication.
2. ability to use other servers (vs being assigned to 1, and not changeable), for redundancy if one... drops.

• ESET Staff

@segFault

1. As ESET Business Account is used as "identity provider" and "authentication service" you can enable 2FA within business account settings.
  2. Back-end architecture of ESET Cloud Administrator is designed in a way, that it´s fully backed-up and redundant. Meaning that despite you set a location you belong to, unless the entire data-center goes down, service will be available). I will check, whether a cross-data-center backup is planned.

• 1 year later...

Description: Log all web control events with ESET Cloud

Detail: I am looking for a way to log all web control events / Websites visited with ESET Cloud / ESET Endpoint Security.

I would like to be able to specify a time frame on when these logs would refresh.

I found a KB that shows how to do this with ESMC, but I can not seem to get this working on ESET Cloud.

In addition, it would be great if we could get these logs sent to the server for auditing.

Thank you

Edited by vs2018sv

• Marcos pinned, locked and unlocked this topic
  • ESET Staff

Hello @damtechmatt I have good news for you. Towards the end of the year, we will be releasing an update to ESET Cloud Administrator (It will come with adjusted naming) that will remove the "size limitation" of 250 seats, and will also be available for our MSP partners to order / provision cloud instance from the ESET MSP Administrator (msp.eset.com).  So stay tuned for upcoming news in the following months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michalj,

• Custom Dynamic Groups are not available on ESET Cloud Administrator.
  • Mobile support

Maybe this other one is not Cloud Administrator but, what about Patch Management module? Will love to see that implemented on ESMC.....

Love to see that 250 users limit will be breaked. Have a client with 600 devices and that will be a good point.

Edited by rubencastello90

On 10/7/2020 at 11:51 AM, MichalJ said:

Hello @damtechmatt I have good news for you. Towards the end of the year, we will be releasing an update to ESET Cloud Administrator (It will come with adjusted naming) that will remove the "size limitation" of 250 seats, and will also be available for our MSP partners to order / provision cloud instance from the ESET MSP Administrator (msp.eset.com).  So stay tuned for upcoming news in the following months. 

Thats fantastic news! Thank you!

• Administrators
On 10/19/2020 at 8:01 PM, rubencastello90 said:
  • Custom Dynamic Groups are not available on ESET Cloud Administrator.
  • Mobile support

ESMC and ECA will be merged into one cloud solution soon. It should bring also support for configuration of dynamic groups.

A cloud MDM solution will be available too, I recall within the next year.

• ESET Staff

@rubencastello90 As stated by Marcos, we in the upcoming release, we will have both configurable dynamic groups and support for mobile devices (in the first iteration the Android ones). With regards to the patch management, we are tracking such request in the backlog, but nothing is yet confirmed. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, rubencastello90 said:

Nice to know. Will be existing clients wirh ECA migrated automatically to new solution when released? Any ETA?

Yes, ECA will be migrated automatically to the new version. It should be released in Q4/20.

Updating these days some endpoints,  noticed that a lot of computers have a WARNING/ALERT active saying that they need a restart. This alert is called: "Computers needs restart".

Checked some random computers and users where shutting down every day computer but the alert/warning was still there.

Checking it, uptime was 1-2 weeks too...Why? Fast Boot from Windows 10..... That's a pain in the , you can't disable it through GPO(only via Registry) and users NEVER reboot computer, they only shutdown.

How I tried to workaround it? I configured a task to reboot computers Daily at 14h but then complains start because users are NOT notified.... (same when pushing Windows Updates)

Description: A new task/setting to reboot computers with a popup message warning,
Detail: Add the possibility to notify user that computer will be restarted when reboot computer task is triggered and let them for example 5minutes to save/close programs/data.

• Marcos changed the title to Future changes to ESET Cloud Administrator2
  • 3 months later...

Description: Set default setting in policy, but let user change it
Detail: currently every setting in a policy can be applied in 3 ways:

• Not set (editable on client)
  • Set (not editable on client)
  • Enforced (not editable on client)

I personally miss the “Set (editable on client)” option, i.e. I’d like to set the default value, but let the user change it permanently on his/her client.

This is somehow similar to the override behavior, but without the temporal limitation and without the client being considered non-compliant.

Gabriele

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, OP System said:

Description: Set default setting in policy, but let user change it

If a particular setting can be controlled by the user, then it doesn't make sense to set it via a policy. What's your use case? What particular setting you would like to set by a policy and allow the users to change it at the same time?

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

If a particular setting can be controlled by the user, then it doesn't make sense to set it via a policy. What's your use case? What particular setting you would like to set by a policy and allow the users to change it at the same time?

Hello Marcos,
In fact, the purpose is to set specific defaults values, but let users adjust them if they need.
For example:

• set the reporting levels to “balanced”, but let users change it to “aggressive” or “off” if  they want to be more / less notified about events.
  • set specific HTTP scanner ports, but let user add/remove them when they use specific internal portals.
  • enable notification for critical Windows Updates, but let user disable them
  • … and so on

This is nothing but a “hey, we configured all settings for you, but you can change them now” mood.
Gabriele

• 6 months later...

Hey, updating these days endpoints from version 8.0 to 8.1, I remember that we need a check that enables to notify users that computer will be rebooted to let them save all the work when triggering the task.

If we don't mark the option "reboot computer" on updating eset products, we have a lot of warnings asking to reboot computers. It's nice to me to reboot immediately, but users must be warned.

Description: Add check to warn users about reboot on updating eset products.
Detail: Add the possibility to notify user that computer will be restarted when reboot computer task or update eset products is triggered and let them for example 3-5minutes to save/close programs/data.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, rubencastello90 said:

Hey, updating these days endpoints from version 8.0 to 8.1, I remember that we need a check that enables to notify users that computer will be rebooted to let them save all the work when triggering the task.

If we don't mark the option "reboot computer" on updating eset products, we have a lot of warnings asking to reboot computers. It's nice to me to reboot immediately, but users must be warned.

You can enable program auto-update as per https://help.eset.com/ees/8/en-US/idh_config_update_mode.html. Endpoint will then update to the latest version about 1-2 months after the release. The update will be performed after a computer restart so users will not have to reboot during their work day in order for Endpoint to work.

• 5 months later...

Implementing ESET PROTECT Cloud with Full Disc Encryption. Will post updates in the coming months but the most common request/complaint immediately following deployment was not having SSO or some kind of alternative to signing into FDE and then to the company domain. Would be a nice addition. 

• Marcos changed the title to Future changes to ESET PROTECT Cloud
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello

probably after a failed upgrade of Eset Endpoint Security, one of my client was unprotected: it had not Eset Enpoint Security, but it had Management Agent.

In the dashboard I saw only Management icon (next to the computer name) but not the "Desktop" Eset Protect icon.

I would expect to see this warning in scheduled "Computer with problems" report, but this issue was not reported.

I would like to strongly suggest developers team to implement this feature.

Thanks

Hello

I currently set "Admin Settings" - "Session protection for Web Console" - "Block requests from different IP addresses" option.

I frequently access to Web Console from a remote location, that has its own static ip address. I think it would be useful to enable a whitelist of ip addresses that can bypass this setting. In my case, I often open/close VPN tunnel, so... my ip changes and Web Console automatically logs me out.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Currently, if you enabled web protection for Windows, MacOS and Android, you need to manage 3 different list of allowed/blocked categories, url, url group, for each policy. 

I think it would be very useful to centralize these lists and use them in the policy you want. Now, if I need to add a website to whitelist, I have to update 3 different policies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

There are places in the Protect console where sorting is missing and would be a big time saver. For instance, in the Dashboard, go to ESET Applications. Click on one of the out of date applications then click "detailed information". This produces a list of computers that are out of date, but no ability to sort. 

In that same list of out of date applications, if I click "update installed eset products" I get an easy way to update these out of date computers. Sometimes I don't want to update all of them, only specific ones. This would be easy to do if the selection list was sortable. 

Thanks for Cloud Protect, it has been a game changer for us!

• ESET Staff
12 hours ago, bbdokken said:

There are places in the Protect console where sorting is missing and would be a big time saver. For instance, in the Dashboard, go to ESET Applications. Click on one of the out of date applications then click "detailed information". This produces a list of computers that are out of date, but no ability to sort. 

In that same list of out of date applications, if I click "update installed eset products" I get an easy way to update these out of date computers. Sometimes I don't want to update all of them, only specific ones. This would be easy to do if the selection list was sortable. 

Thanks for Cloud Protect, it has been a game changer for us!

Hello, thank you very much for this feedback, we plan to improve it, and every table should be sortable in the future.