WiFi Connection Throttled by ESET Interney Security

Hi,

I am using ESET Internet Security version 11 with a valid license until Dec 20, 2019 on a Dell Inspiron 5567 Core i7 with Windows 10 Professional installed. My router is Huawei HG630 V2. Recently, I have upgraded my ADSL from 4 Mbps to 16 Mbps but on WiFi connection I get 4 Mbps tops. When I connect directly through cable I get 16 Mbps. I perform the speed tests on speedtest.net, which are pretty consistent most of the time. I uninstalled ESET Internet Security and connected on WiFi and the speed was back to 16 Mbps. I reinstalled ESET and tested on WiFi before doing a restart and speed was still at 16 Mbps. Right after the restart, maximum speed was back to 4 Mbps. Connected through cable and speed was back to 16 Mbps. On other devices connected to my WiFi where non ESET security products are installed I do not have this issue.

Any suggestions on where the problem might be?

Edited by Khaled Abu Bakr

• Administrators

Does disabling the firewall or protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? Have you tried using different speed meters and all showed slower speed with ESET installed?

29 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Does disabling the firewall or protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? Have you tried using different speed meters and all showed slower speed with ESET installed?

2 days ago, I tried disabling all ESET services (firewall, virus protection and all) and got the same results. I tried openspeedtest.com now and it is the same, too.

I must say this is the first forum posting I have seen in regard to Eset impacting a particular network adapter connection. There has been previous postings to this effect but they applied equally to both Ethernet and wireless connections. In all those cases I believe, only a single network adapter was in play.

I am wondering if Eset internally is relying on Win 10's default prioritization of network adapter use and is someone getting "confused" in the process? Here is an article on how to manually override Win 10's default prioritization: https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/02/change-network-adapter-priorities-in-windows-10/ . Wondering if setting the wireless adapter to a higher priority might be a possible solution? 

1 hour ago, itman said:

I must say this is the first forum posting I have seen in regard to Eset impacting a particular network adapter connection. There has been previous postings to this effect but they applied equally to both Ethernet and wireless connections. In all those cases I believe, only a single network adapter was in play.

I am wondering if Eset internally is relying on Win 10's default prioritization of network adapter use and is someone getting "confused" in the process? Here is an article on how to manually override Win 10's default prioritization: https://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/02/change-network-adapter-priorities-in-windows-10/ . Wondering if setting the wireless adapter to a higher priority might be a possible solution? 

Thank you Itman. I tried that as well but it did not work either.