How to Properly Manage an MDM Solution

Hi Guys, 

I have been working very closely with MDM software for a while and I have come up with a list of 10 things that every MDM solution should incorporate to make sure that your mobile devices are as safe as they can be. Of course there is no MDM solution that can protect a mobile device 100% but I believe that having these guidelines will help you keep them as secure as possible.

1. Standards for Password Strength - It is a requirement that mobile devices passwords and pass-codes meet or exceed these standards that have been set, including length and complexity. As part of this, there should also be a strict retry and timeout procedure created if a password is incorrectly input more than a certain amount of times.
  2. Platform Specification Requirements - A carelessly maintained mobile device can cause serious issues which can cause vulnerability within your infrastructure. Setting a minimum and maximum guideline for operating systems and platforms is key to keeping your devices safe and a device not within these guidelines needs to be restricted.
  3. Application Lock-down - You need to incorporate settings so that applications cannot access Contacts, Photos, Messages, Location etc by default, as depending on what country you are operating in, this could be a breach of the data protection and privacy laws. This should also dictate which applications will appear on the devices home-screen and limit access to nonessential applications.
  4. Quick Learning Process - Whatever MDM solution you are using, you need to make sure that the management is quick and easy to learn so that anyone new who needs access to the management can know what they are doing without having to take a lot of time practising etc. 
  5. Single Point of Management - The management of the MDM solution must be accessible in one space like a management console where you can view endpoints, users and policies etc.
  6. Reporting tools - There must be a way in which in-depth information about device inventory, security risks and compliance etc can be seen through reporting tools.
  7. Device Lock-down - The MDM solution should be able to set up specific guidelines for accessing secure data, and rules should be set up to protect the device in a case where it is breached, lost or stolen.
  8. Policies - The MDM solution needs to have a policy that is customizable which can be built upon previous iterations, while also being able to accommodate an unlimited number of policies.
  9. Cellular Data Usage - The MDM solution should be able to integrate with the mobile carrier to ensure conscientious usage so that it is not abused. Services such as video streaming and music services should be disabled.
  10. Integration - The MDM solution should be able to integrate with other services that you have within your infrastructure so that there are no conflicts of interest and other issues. 

I hope this helps you guys and if you have any questions let me know.

Regards,

Kieran Barry