EMSX V7: Database scan could not be started

I have created a scheduled task for the Mailbox Scan to start every Sunday at 06:00, but for whatever reason it always says it cannot start. I can run it manually and it always completes, but only since V7 was installed it won't run as a scheduled task.

The mailbox database scan log is very unhelpful! All it says is "database scan could not be started" but nothing else!!!

How can I resolve this issue with the very little information EMSX has provided me with?

• ESET Staff

Hi davidenco,

you can try enabling Diagnostic logging (Menu->Setup->Tools) for a minute and run the Database scan. Then check "Events" log to get more information.

Interestingly, that option has a padlock symbol and it says disabled. When I click the cog icon next to it, it takes me to Tools > Log Files > Logging Filter, where all 4 options are enabled and editable (not enforced).

I have checked the policy in ESMC and unenforced every option with the word "diagnostic" in the description, but the Diagnostic Logging option is still showing the padlock symbol and won't allow me to enable it.

Is this a bug? The fact the cog takes me to a place where everything is enabled is surely a bug in itself?

How else can I enable Diagnostic Logging?

Edited by davidenco

With Diagnostic Logging enabled, I can now see a lot of stuff in the Events log. I can see the schedule task starting:

Time;Module;Event;User
28/09/2018 11:20:45;Microsoft Exchange Server protection;OD: Executing scheduled task;SYSTEM

However there is still nothing relating to the failed task. Should there be? If so, what will it look like?

It looks like the issue is occurring because of where the scheduled task is created. In this case, I am using ESMC to create the scheduled task. Compared to creating the task in ESMX, when done through ESMC I am not getting the dialog where I can select public folders, mailboxes etc. I only get this when creating the scheduled task from ESMX.

On that note, if the scheduled task is created in ESMX, it executes and completes successfully without error. However if created using ESMC, it fails every time.

Also, using either ESMX or ESMC to create the scheduled task, even though I am telling it to start at 00 seconds, it's actually starting at 45 seconds. Why is that?

So for now my workaround is to not use ESMC to create the scheduled tasks and to do it from within ESMX instead.

• ESET Staff

There seems to be a problem when the database scan is scheduled in ESMC policy - we will investigate it

I didn't know you were using ESMC - to schedule a scan from ESMC, you can use Client tasks/Server scan (https://help.eset.com/esmc_admin/70/en-US/dashboard.html?client_task_server_scan.html). But you have to enable sending of scan targets to ESMC first: https://help.eset.com/emsx/7.0/en-US/idh_config_era_targets.html

This is the most up to date option and it gives you the ability to select mailboxes/public folders just like in EMSX.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

We managed to reproduce the issue - the problem is that Database scan task scheduled in policy is not created correctly.

A workaround exists:
When you create a scheduled Database scan task in ESMC, click edit and go through the wizard again. When you click finish the task should be saved correctly.

The issue will be fixed in configuration module for ESMC