Jump to content

Internet Security 11 certificate madness [SOLVED]


Recommended Posts

Hello,

I've been using Eset for quite a few years and today I'm running into quite a strange scenario.

I had to install a new hard drive to my laptop, which means a fresh installation of my OS, Eset included. While I'm used to some warnings popping up here and there what I'm seeing today is quite out of hand. The certificates for almost every site are being considered untrusted, even the one from help.eset.com, others like greensock.com (greensock is an animation platform that I use every day and their site is one that can be trusted), nhl.com and the list goes on.

So basically, what's going on here?. A couple of weeks I installed Windows 7 in another computer and after that Internet Security (IS) and I don't remember all these warnings (I haven't talked to the owner of that PC, but still).

Finally I installed win 7 64 in my laptop and I haven't completed all the updates , but as I mentioned I installed IS in another PC and I don't remember seeing all the notifications.

While some of the notifications come from add services of those sites, the fact that your own domain (eset.com) comes up as an untrusted certificate looks bad and tells me that something could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

It sounds like the ESET root certificate was not imported to the trusted root CA certificate store. Does the issue occur with any browser? Ie. with Firefox as well as with IE/Edge and Chrome?

Try the following:
- disable SSL/TLS filtering
- reboot the machine
- without launching any other application, re-enable SSL/TLS filtering
- launch a browser and open an https website.

Does the problem still persist?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
8 hours ago, rhernando said:

Hello,

I've been using Eset for quite a few years and today I'm running into quite a strange scenario.

I had to install a new hard drive to my laptop, which means a fresh installation of my OS, Eset included. While I'm used to some warnings popping up here and there what I'm seeing today is quite out of hand. The certificates for almost every site are being considered untrusted, even the one from help.eset.com, others like greensock.com (greensock is an animation platform that I use every day and their site is one that can be trusted), nhl.com and the list goes on.

So basically, what's going on here?. A couple of weeks I installed Windows 7 in another computer and after that Internet Security (IS) and I don't remember all these warnings (I haven't talked to the owner of that PC, but still).

Finally I installed win 7 64 in my laptop and I haven't completed all the updates , but as I mentioned I installed IS in another PC and I don't remember seeing all the notifications.

While some of the notifications come from add services of those sites, the fact that your own domain (eset.com) comes up as an untrusted certificate looks bad and tells me that something could be wrong.

If it's newly installed Windows , can you double check the time and date in the Windows if they are set correct? , if not then that would be the reason for every untrusted certificate because there is no sync between the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Guys and thanks for the answers.

@Rami The time is correct, I saw another question here in the forums, somehow related to this and already checked the time and date.

@Marcos I'll try disabling SSL/TLS Filtering and get back to you with the results.

Thanks again!!
Best,
Rodrigo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
36 minutes ago, rhernando said:

I'll try disabling SSL/TLS Filtering and get back to you with the results.

Disabling it will definitely help but it will also cause https communication not to be scanned. Please don't forget to re-enable it as per the instructions in my previous post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Insiders
19 hours ago, rhernando said:

Hello,

I've been using Eset for quite a few years and today I'm running into quite a strange scenario.

I had to install a new hard drive to my laptop, which means a fresh installation of my OS, Eset included. While I'm used to some warnings popping up here and there what I'm seeing today is quite out of hand. The certificates for almost every site are being considered untrusted, even the one from help.eset.com, others like greensock.com (greensock is an animation platform that I use every day and their site is one that can be trusted), nhl.com and the list goes on.

So basically, what's going on here?. A couple of weeks I installed Windows 7 in another computer and after that Internet Security (IS) and I don't remember all these warnings (I haven't talked to the owner of that PC, but still).

Finally I installed win 7 64 in my laptop and I haven't completed all the updates , but as I mentioned I installed IS in another PC and I don't remember seeing all the notifications.

While some of the notifications come from add services of those sites, the fact that your own domain (eset.com) comes up as an untrusted certificate looks bad and tells me that something could be wrong.

Hello,

do you use test-updates?

I had this issue yesterday with the installation of 1347b of internet protection module, too. But after a new initialisation of this module by disabling and reenabling tls protection or an restart everything went fine since then.

It's just an update related issue - my first since years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • rhernando changed the title to Internet Security 11 certificate madness [SOLVED]
  • ESET Insiders
35 minutes ago, Marcos said:

1347b  is a beta module which is not released to regular users.

Hello Marco,

I can use this module with 11.2.63.0 and test updates enabled. So it is not only in dev channel.

Edited by timse201
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
11 minutes ago, timse201 said:

I can use this module with 11.2.63.0 and test updates enabled. So it is not dev channel related.

I've just checked what versions of the protoscan module are released and 1347b is currently not released on any of the update servers. Maybe you received it from tech support for testing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...