Modules Update failures

ESET Security Management Center Server v7.0.553.0

Endpoints on Windows 10, macOS 10.12 and 10.13

I noticed our module updates have a huge amount of failures on our Mac and Windows machines.

There's no error other than "failed" in the status. How would I begin troubleshooting this?

Capture.PNG

Edited by brandobot

• Administrators

On one of the troublesome Windows machine, enable advanced network protection and update engine logging in the setup -> tools -> diagnostics and run update. Then disable logging, gather logs with ESET Log Collector and provide me with the generated archive.

• ESET Staff
18 hours ago, brandobot said:

There's no error other than "failed" in the status. How would I begin troubleshooting this?

I would recommend to start by checking endpoints configuration, especially whether HTTP proxy or local updates mirror is used. IF so, please check whether HTTP proxy or local mirror are accessible to clients, i.e. whether it is actually running and accessible on IP/hostname as is in configuration.

Also I would recommend to check firewall configuration. We have been recently improving access to updates and installers for specific Asian countries, which has resulted in new IP addresses that might be blocked now.

I spot checked a dozen machines on the Client Task Execution list that failed, ironically, it is showing module updated. Even on the ones that show Task Failed in the last 30 minutes.

Looking at my dynamic group for Computers with outdated module, it only shows 16 out of 1900 machines. Perhaps the client task execution is reporting incorrectly?

• ESET Staff
4 minutes ago, brandobot said:

I spot checked a dozen machines on the Client Task Execution list that failed, ironically, it is showing module updated. Even on the ones that show Task Failed in the last 30 minutes.

When you execute mentioned task, modules update is performed in all managed products present on client. This most probably includes Security product (EES/EEA) and AGENT itselt. Task will be reported as failed in case at least one of updates fails. A cannot currently verify, but there should be column "Product" identifying source of the failure, in this case managed product that fails to update its modules.

In case AGENT modules will be source of the problem, please verify also configuration of AGENT, especially HTTP proxy and updates configuration.