Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skier

Smart Security Premium & Webcam Access Notifications

Recommended Posts

Version 12.0.27.0 and the problem still persists on both desktop and laptop computers.

The only way I've found to remove the annoying popups was to go into Advanced settings User interface → Alerts and notifications → Minimum verbosity of events to display (set to Warnings).

It's certainly not optimal to lower the notifications verbosity level but sure beats having to deal with annoying popups every time an application which requests access to a camera is launched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TomX said:

Hi all, here is another user with this problem, device census & camera issues on Internet Security 12.0.27, screenshot attached.

Eset_screenshot.JPG

You could just deny and remember the action for Chrome , if you do use the camera for Chrome then allow it , if not block it and remember the action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rami said:

You could just deny and remember the action for Chrome , if you do use the camera for Chrome then allow it , if not block it and remember the action.

Unfortunately, as already reported by some users here, remembering the option does not work consistently across platforms. My desktop remembers the settings however on my laptop the webcam access dialog still pops up every time Chrome is launched. It might have something to do with the fact that desktop is running the dreaded Windows 10 build 1809 but my laptop is still on build 1803.

Also remembering the option doesn't remove the annoying notification unless, as stated, the verbosity of notifications is raised to showing warnings and above. Notifications themselves are not a biggie, at least since they can be easily disabled, but the pop up on the laptop is. Unfortunately I don't have means to upgrade my laptop to 1809 and check if that solves the issue since Microsoft has a really inconsistent way of making their updates available across platforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, brezanac said:

Unfortunately, as already reported by some users here, remembering the option does not work consistently across platforms. My desktop remembers the settings however on my laptop the webcam access dialog still pops up every time Chrome is launched. It might have something to do with the fact that desktop is running the dreaded Windows 10 build 1809 but my laptop is still on build 1803.

Also remembering the option doesn't remove the annoying notification unless, as stated, the verbosity of notifications is raised to showing warnings and above. Notifications themselves are not a biggie, at least since they can be easily disabled, but the pop up on the laptop is. Unfortunately I don't have means to upgrade my laptop to 1809 and check if that solves the issue since Microsoft has a really inconsistent way of making their updates available across platforms.

Does the same thing happen with Firefox? , It could be something is making conflicts with ESET and the Camera , Or the Camera service in Windows 10 , so it's prompting ESET for every notification because ESET is thinking that Chrome/Windows is requesting Access to the Camera while when it's coming from the Windows it might be the service is just doing it's job , so it's not someone who is trying to access the Camera

Recently Chrome did do some changes in terms of their Browser Security , so ESET and Chrome started making conflicts like Chrome showing a message to remove all incompatible apps which one of the apps is ESET

So the message could be the related to Chrome's Security

For testing , Can you try Firefox and see if the problems keep happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rami said:

Does the same thing happen with Firefox?

Interestingly enough, no. Firefox 63.0.3 (x64) stays quiet, on both desktop and laptop. If a website requests access to the webcam, ESET pops up asking for permission but the choice to never ask again is actually honored so the pop up is never seen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brezanac said:

Interestingly enough, no. Firefox 63.0.3 (x64) stays quiet, on both desktop and laptop. If a website requests access to the webcam, ESET pops up asking for permission but the choice to never ask again is actually honored so the pop up is never seen again.

I believe there is something in Google Chrome that is making conflicts with ESET , so ESET and Chrome is constantly conflicting.

I am sorry I have no solution to this problem other than switching to Firefox till ESET/Chrome fixes this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rami said:

I believe there is something in Google Chrome that is making conflicts with ESET , so ESET and Chrome is constantly conflicting.

I am sorry I have no solution to this problem other than switching to Firefox till ESET/Chrome fixes this.

Yeah, I already figured a long time ago that it's something related to Chrome itself since it's the only application that acts in this way.

However, as I already said it's no biggie because there is a workaround in terms of adjusting the notifications verbosity. I just wanted to chime in and confirm other people's reports that the issue does exist.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you prompted for an action even if you delete all existing webcam protection rules and choose to remember the action again? Does the problem persist even after uninstalling v12.0.27 and installing it from scratch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Are you prompted for an action even if you delete all existing webcam protection rules and choose to remember the action again? Does the problem persist even after uninstalling v12.0.27 and installing it from scratch?

Hm, cleaning up the rules (again) does seems to have resolved the pop up issue. For now, that is. To be absolutely sure I still need to wait and see if it will start popping up again later. The notification is still there though, every time Chrome is started. Even without using any website or service that makes use of the web camera, but then again that's Google's logic I guess :D

BTW, attached image, what my webcam rule list used to look like before I cleaned it up. Fingers crossed that it doesn't repeat like that again.

Thanks!

dell xps 15.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...