Smart Security Premium & Webcam Access Notifications

On 9/26/2018 at 12:37 AM, Marcos said:

The "issue" is being investigated. The reason why this started after upgrade to v11.2.63 is that in previous versions Webcam protection didn't work with Windows 10 RS4/RS5 due to internal changes in Windows.

Happy to hear this.

Long time ESET user here,  just joined the forum to chime in that you have another user who would like this problem to go away.

I'm a bit of an internet paranoid. It is ESET's job to help with that. The constant warnings make me nervous. I don't want to be nervous. I pay for ESET so I don't have to be nervous.

Thanks for any and all efforts,

Greg

• Administrators
8 hours ago, thisisme said:

I'm a bit of an internet paranoid. It is ESET's job to help with that. The constant warnings make me nervous. I don't want to be nervous. I pay for ESET so I don't have to be nervous.

Not everything is feasible since we are limited by how the operating system works and what it enables installed applications to do. If it is that the web camera is accessed prior to device control gets fully initialized, there's probably hardly anything we could do.

Hi guys.

So I get this annoying popup every time I start my laptop:

WritpoK.png

I click "Block access" and "Remember for this application", but it doesn't work! It still asks me the same question even though I click on "Remember" button.

Help?

• ESET Insiders

hello @Marcos did any updates released for this bug, & is this resolved yet, also, any ETA about the final build of ESET 12 coming, if you can share with us

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, SM03 said:

hello @Marcos did any updates released for this bug, & is this resolved yet, also, any ETA about the final build of ESET 12 coming, if you can share with us

So far it was not confirmed to be a bug but rather an annoyance causes by early access to the webcam before Device control is fully initialized. It is still being investigated as we understand it's annoying for users.

As for v12, it should be available later this year.

• ESET Insiders

Das ist ein Bug in der Internet Security letztes Build, es werden einfach nicht die gesetzten Regeln für die Camera Beachtet von Eset!

6 hours ago, SlashRose said:

Das ist ein Bug in der Internet Security letztes Build, es werden einfach nicht die gesetzten Regeln für die Camera Beachtet von Eset!

This is an English language Forum...please post in English so we can understand your message.

• ESET Insiders

This is a bug in cybersecurity tidying up, it's just not starve fist form for starve camera Attention by Eset!

German: Das ist ein Bug in der Internet Security letztes Build, es werden einfach nicht die gesetzten Regeln für die Camera Beachtet von Eset!

This is annoying in Chrome too. A bunch of banking sites use libraries that make use of navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices() and this causes the popup to trigger. Even if you block the request, the enumerateDevices() call still functions properly and metadata is still retrieved.

• ESET Insiders

With the taskhostw.exe everything is fine, it is in the system 32 Folder! This is a file what every Windows0 OS has, so why this Question?

Edited by SlashRose

19 hours ago, SlashRose said:

With the taskhostw.exe everything is fine, it is in the system 32 Folder! This is a file what every Windows0 OS has, so why this Question?

I was under the impression it was related to this file. I might be wrong. Sorry.

On 9/29/2018 at 6:03 AM, Marcos said:

Not everything is feasible since we are limited by how the operating system works and what it enables installed applications to do. If it is that the web camera is accessed prior to device control gets fully initialized, there's probably hardly anything we could do.

Fair enough, Marcos, and thank you for your reply.

However, when I press the button in the warning GUI to remember my answer (which would avoid the same process opening the same ESET GUI), it doesn't remember. That, to me, is what isn't working.

Thank you for providing an active forum to voice my concerns.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, thisisme said:

However, when I press the button in the warning GUI to remember my answer (which would avoid the same process opening the same ESET GUI), it doesn't remember. That, to me, is what isn't working.

That would happen if a process accessed the web cam while the system is starting and the device control has not been fully initialized yet. The issue is being investigated and hope there could me more information available on this within the next few days. It also appears it has something to do with processes running in the local system account.

Ok, there is a bug. I am aware of it. But I think that if I click everytime on "Block access" and select "Remember for this application", it should remember it. But it doesn't! Is there a specific way to fix it, any workaround? Or do I just wait for the next update that might fix it?

Cheers

image.png.f7fac4b3d79eb8ea55a7108d3f301d59.png

• Administrators
14 hours ago, hachondeoro said:

Ok, there is a bug. I am aware of it. But I think that if I click everytime on "Block access" and select "Remember for this application", it should remember it. But it doesn't! Is there a specific way to fix it, any workaround? Or do I just wait for the next update that might fix it?

Cheers

Everything has already been said and explained. It appears we will be able to fix this in v12 later this year.

On 10/2/2018 at 2:06 AM, userlain said:

This is annoying in Chrome too. A bunch of banking sites use libraries that make use of navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices() and this causes the popup to trigger. Even if you block the request, the enumerateDevices() call still functions properly and metadata is still retrieved.

This may explain the issue I am having: https://forum.eset.com/topic/17180-chrome-is-attempting-to-access-my-webcam-when-visiting-a-banking-url/

Can you explain what navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices() is doing? Why does this only happen (in my case) for banking websites and why now all of a sudden?

Edited by lvl1k0n

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to get a configuration option which would disable web camera access by default, unless specifically allowed?

For example, if a new application is trying to gain access to a web camera simply disallow it without any notification but log the requesting app on some kind of list which could be later used for granting the access.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info covered here already. I too am finding this very annoying. I'm a developer, so I appreciate that certain issues are hard to resolve. For what it's worth I'm getting these messages each time I open Google Chrome. It's not just when I boot up. If I close Chrome and then reopen it, I get the message. So it's not just at startup that this is occurring. I've turned off Feedback Hub, but it made no difference. In the privacy settings under Camera I see Microsoft Edge app listed but not Google Chrome. I would have thought it should have been there, but knowing Microsoft's predilection to eradicate anything from Google, I'm not that surprised. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck. The fix can't come soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
11 hours ago, sandyeggo said:

This bug is bugging me to death

Make sure that you have ESET v12.0.27 installed which addressed the issues with webcam notifications.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Make sure that you have ESET v12.0.27 installed which addressed the issues with webcam notifications.

Marcos.  ESET v12.0.27 very definitely DOES NOT address the annoyance of these webcam related messages.  It's only slightly different to previously posted i.e. I now receive a message every time Windows boots, the first time the webcam software opens and the first time I use Skype after every reboot.  You always receive a message that webcam access for (insert software name) was allowed.  This despite having previously selected to remember the rule for that particular software.  I don't receive the messages on subsequent uses of the various applications within the same boot of Windows. 

Edited by Skier

On 11/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, Marcos said:

I've had this webcam permissions problem on my laptop for a while now, assuming it was my older machine which I was about to replace.

I've now replaced it with a brand new Dell XPS laptop, a clean install of everything and ESET 12.0.27.0 - on the first reboot after installation, I'm still getting this REALLY REALLY frustrating webcam popup - I even uninstalled the 12 months of McAfee that came included with the laptop to use my subscription of ESET and am now wondering if it's worth sticking with ESET or going to McAfee.

Many reboots in and it's still happening. Please @Marcos please get this fixed ASAP.

Edited by damianc

Hi all, here is another user with this problem, device census & camera issues on Internet Security 12.0.27, screenshot attached.

Eset_screenshot.JPG