Identical IP Address Detected In Network

CptSternn

Hi.  I have a question I was hoping someone here could help me with.  We run ESET Endpoint Security 5.0.21.26.0 here in our office.  Recently a user plugged in an old workstation which had a static IP address assigned to it from years ago.  No one knew this happened as the user saw the Ethernet cable was unplugged and plugged it in thinking it was an issue.  He was unaware this machine was decommissioned and was off the network (at the time another user had brought it out of storage to copy off some old files).  This IP has now been recycled and of course the first thing that happened was ESET threw up an error saying 'identical ip address detected in network' (*See attached pic of error).

The issue we had though was every single workstation in our office running ESET, almost 200 of them, then threw the same error.  They not only all had this warning pop up, but it was accompanied by beeps and after closing the alert it would reappear minutes later.  Our entire office was brought to a screeching halt as we went around the office trying to find where this conflict was coming from.  We found the machine which was supposed to have the address and had to shut it down as every single workstation was un-useable as every single one kept throwing up the warning and beeping constantly.

My question is, why does every single ESET client on our network report a single IP address conflict?  Is there a way to disable this? 

Thanks in advance.

post-2697-0-55176600-1389114495_thumb.jpg

• ESET Insiders

Interesting... it looks to me like the appearance of fixed IP caused DHCP server mess :-)

I have some questions:

All other computers showed same IP address (*.180) in message?
All other computers are on DHCP?
Did it stop after you unplugged the "problematic" one from the network?

Tomo

Interesting... it looks to me like the appearance of fixed IP caused DHCP server mess :-)

I have some questions:

All other computers showed same IP address (*.180) in message?

All other computers are on DHCP?

Did it stop after you unplugged the "problematic" one from the network?

Tomo

All of the workstations running ESET reported the same IP conflict, even though they all had different IPs.

All of the other workstations were on DHCP.

First we went into DHCP and found which PC had the IP and unplugged it.  When we later found the issue we unplugged the one with the static IP and turned the other back on without issue.

But the problem is if ANY user on the entire network goes into settings and switches from DHCP to STATIC IP, it will quite literally bring down the entire office.

But the problem is if ANY user on the entire network goes into settings and switches from DHCP to STATIC IP, it will quite literally bring down the entire office.

Did you verify this, or are you saying that from the 1 static IP being introduced.

The computer that was introduced, was it an old server ?

From my experience, it almost sounds like you plugged in a second router to your network.

Are you sure that old computer wasnt a dhcp server with services running ?

Sorry for your troubles, and it would be interesting to know the end result and root cause of all stations having ip conflict.

Did you verify this, or are you saying that from the 1 static IP being introduced.

The computer that was introduced, was it an old server ?

From my experience, it almost sounds like you plugged in a second router to your network.

Are you sure that old computer wasnt a dhcp server with services running ?

Sorry for your troubles, and it would be interesting to know the end result and root cause of all stations having ip conflict.

I know what it might sound like, but it was a standard desktop PC.  It had a static IP set that another standard desktop PC had via DHCP.  It brought down the entire office.

I know.  As a professional with over 20+ years experience, CCNP/MCSE I have never seen this, but then again, I have never used ESET before.  I am just wondering if there is a way to disable this behaviour so it won't happen again.

• Administrators

We have an idea how to improve this detection in future firewall module builds so that everybody could configure it to their liking.