Minor question: disable NOD32 during Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade?

Ismail

According to: hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

6. Temporarily turn off your antivirus program. Some antivirus software might interfere with the installation. After you install Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1, remember to turn your antivirus program back on.

Does this hold true for NOD32? I assume regardless that NOD32 will have no problems during the upgrade process.

Edit: My version number is 7.0.302.26, if it's relevant.

Edited by Ismail

Hello Ismail and wellcome to the forum...

The article you refer to from Microsoft, is a good practice, when a major update of the Operating systems is necessary or wanted. Is this case from 8 to 8.1. They suggest to disable the Antivirus temporarily, because there is or will be a risk, that the Av can see some of the new systemfiles as a false positive and block the file. And as a result of that, you may run into installations issues. Okay, when that is said, then I have updated from windows 8 to 8.1 on a couple of machines, with eset 7 with no issues at all. One of Eset strengths is that, they have a very solid and well coded heuristics detection and a very low sum of false positives, which is supported, by the way live grid works. If you will deactivate Eset anyway under the update from 8 to 8.1, then may this article be to any use , How do I temporarily disable ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

Regards Janus

Edited by Janus

Some of the lesser anti virus software companies have bad and poor programming etiquette, tactics, and functions.

SO they have higher false positives as Janus stated. Microsoft has to write a generalized article , therefore as a whole, they state disable temporarily your AV products.

As Janus stated, ESET is good enough for the most part to know whats going on during the upgrade.

I decided to trust ESET's product before reading the replies here, and the result was a success. NOD32 was kept on and nothing happened during the upgrade, with NOD32 having no problems afterwards.

So yeah, question answered.