Smart Security 2014? What's new? And why renew?

hi all..

I'm soon up for renewal from Smart Security 7 (2013) to the 2014 model but:

-- can't find any news of what's new on their site

-- a bit disturbed because ESET doesn't even rank in the top 10 of most major reviewers (which would certainly make me switch)

-- can only find a support phone number but no CHAT and no email option for contact...just website...don't like lack of support options.

Does anyone here love this software so much that they can answer to my three issues above and talk me into renewing. We all know who those others are and they're always scoring higher in almost every category.

Input appreciated as I can't be loyal if I'm risking computer security.

thanks in advance all.

Richard

Smart Security 7 is the 2014 platform. This should answer your first question.

Your third question can be answered by these two web sites :
hxxp://www.eset.com/us/about/contact/ - Main Contact page with phone numbers to each region and links to further contact info.

https://www.eset.com/us/support/contact/#  - This is the US version of support contacting. If you follow the page it will help you create a support request for issues.

This is essentially sending an email to staff to get back with you.

I am not sure if their is a Chat option available.

Richard, i highly recommend renewing your subscription.

If i need to sell it to you.

Please skim through the following pages :

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/compare/

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/awards/

hxxp://www.eset.com/me/about/press/articles/article/eset-scores-high-in-vb100-comparative-review-on-windows-7-pro/

ESET NOD32 technology has received more VB100 awards than any other AV software vendor on the market.

My small list of words to you for recommending renewal is this ;

ESET is consistent !

It will never drop so that its so bad people will no longer use it.

It has been at the very top #1 first place multiple times. No AV is perfect and flawless.

There may be a few hiccups along the road to fortune and fame, but ESET does it gracefully and consistently.

The company is respectable, and so is the staff. The software always blocks malware and keeps unwanted software off a machine. Its always light weight and uses up little amount of space.

The increasing number of users reporting to Live-Grid will continue to make ESET one of the best.

In closing i would also state, feel free to download a few trials from the other vendors. I think you might have a discouraged time trying to switch from a nice product like ESET that you may already be familiar with.

I assure you ESET's security and protection is not dropping, regardless of the tests you are seeing.

It is actually increasing exponentially.

;)

Edited by Arakasi

Mhm...I've said before that this "2014" campaign or what to call it could be more confusing for users than helpful, the OP got V7 already and he wonders what's new in 2014.....

The answer is V7 from 2013, and V7 from 2014 or I should say 2014 = V7 too since no product has been released in 2014 and they are exactly the same even if it doesn't sound like it.

When it comes to ESET New year is not always = new product release unlike some of the competition.

One vendor released their 2015 BETA early Dec 2013 how about that  ;)

I assure you ESET's security and protection is not dropping, regardless of the tests you are seeing.

I agree with Arakasi on this and the rest in his post   :)

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

-- a bit disturbed because ESET doesn't even rank in the top 10 of most major reviewers (which would certainly make me switch)

There have been several tests where ESET ranked towards the top. Although probably each testing methodology has some weak points and cons, here are results of a test I've come across recently: hxxp://www.dennistechnologylabs.com/reports/s/a-m/2013/DTL_2013_Q4_Home.1.pdf

Not sure who you meant by major reviewers, it'd be good to name some so that we can react to their review.

-- can only find a support phone number but no CHAT and no email option for contact...just website...don't like lack of support options.

Besides phone, you can also contact customer care using the built-in form or web form. Some distributors also provide chat as means for communication.

Richard, not sure where you are located, but here in the States I think tech support is GOOD - GREAT. In addition, there is this forum which is also GOOD - GREAT. I see my friend Arakasi has listed some links for you to look at. Examine them. I agree test results can make one think the grass is greener over there. Keep in mind they are just test results :huh:-not real life.  But I guess the question you have to ask yourself is are you satisfied with ESET SS7? I am comfortable with SS7-just upped my license for another 2 years. Looks like you are new to this forum, spend some time here. Then make your decision. B) 

(and I agree with SweX-the 2014 thing is confusing :blink:-I'll always say the version #-as in SS7 :P).

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members

You say you are using v7 and you seem to have been using it for at least a year.

Have you ever been infected by anything using Eset?

If the answer is the same NO I answer with then you should have the information you need to determine to renew or not. Nothing is perfect and Eset like any other product will hiccup every once in a while with new versions but I have never been infected by anything hiccup or not.

As far as support goes, as mentioned Arkaski, there are ways to get your questions answered, one is right here on these forums which I use. I have also used the support ticket method as well. Come to think of it I did call once when changing my renewal to ESS and adding a second computer. I have no complaints regarding the three methods I have used to get help.

I've used chat help with other products and usually it ends with "you will have to call Tech Support" so I don't even bother with them any more.

The way I feel is as long as it works and protects me they can call it ESET1949. The proof is in the protection not the year behind the name. 

In the end the choice is yours, go with an unknown or stick with the tried and true.

HI, SCR, Tomface, Marcos, swex, arakasi --

I truly appreciate all the work you put into your replies. This forum has nice vibes and I appreciate your thoughts. To answer one question, yes, I'm her in the U.S.

I have some comments and questions and NONE of them are meant to be cute or disrespectful, just the spirit of learning more on my part, so here goes:

1) I'm currently using Smart Security 7, but per SweX's comment it is a bit confusing. So, it seems that if/when I renew next week, it will STILL have the same "7" I have now...but just keep getting updated throughout 2014? Or will the renewal download and install  a full new program and uninstall the old. It will still be called "7" just the same.

2) No, I've never been infected in the past 12 months using ESET. But the same was true for a few years of Kaspersky as well as BitDefender and Norton before them. So, at the least, ESET hasn't been worse. :-)

3) Marcos, thanks for your input. My situation is that I'm a "civilian" in this area so most of us out in the real world Google for things. If one Googles, for example, REVIEWS ESET SMART SECURITY 7, we civilians will get PCWorld, CNET, Techrepublic, softpedia, expertreviews, and pages more...with no idea which to trust more (although I assume that the PC magazines are seen as valid). One of my favorite sites for educating myself about a product pre-purchase is www.consumersearch.com. What they do is all the research that they can possibly find on the internet about a specific product genre and tell the reader what the "experts" are saying vs. doing another review themselves. In the old days, one might go to Consumer Reports, but this site now includes CR with all the other reviewers so it's pretty comprehensive. If you go to that site and search for security software you'll see BitDefender Suite #1 (per all the "experts" combined tests, not Consumer Search's opinion or test results) and ESET not even mentioned. So, my point is that all potential customers can do is search the internet thru the wee hrs of the night and finally make a decision based on a respected site. With Consumer Search, it's even much easier because they save you the shoe leather and sleepless nights. Try the site for others stuff like HDTV, baby buggies, toasters...great site. But I digress...

I also went to your link to Dennis Technology, which I appreciate. But, honestly, I never would have know about that site, and for a civilian, he seems to be an outlier, and how do I know that DT is as credible or even more than the ones that pop up in the first 4 pages of a Google search? Even DT says ESET is #2 behind Kaspersky. And, in fact, DT wasn't too happy about ESET's "protection rates" that came in #4 and #5 in various tests. So, how is a little guy like me to really now? Perhaps the top three ranked over and over again on several test sites are all about the same and we should just pick the one with the least load on the computer, best potential customer service and lowest price?

Arkasi: thanks for all your concern and work. I did try the first link which took me to a form and ultimately took me to FAQ pages to see if I don't need to call. I had to change the filters and lie a bit to get directly to email option. I like companies that allow me to just shoot an email w/fewer hoops. Phone is a good, direct option, but sometimes I just don't have the time to sit and talk. But ESET had a phone number; didn't test it for wait times. Also, thanks much for reference to "VB100" awards. I enjoyed the site and it makes my point that as a lightweight in this arena, I'd have no idea that this site even existed; so most of us would just be going with test results #1, #2, + cheaper as criteria. It's just that the virus protection industry seems to be lacking in creating an awareness of their presence to the general public.

Anyhoo...I'm considering renew my license on both my desktop (W7 Pro, 64bit) as well as my wife's old laptop with Vista (!)....hope it's work w/Vista, yes?

Finally, is my renewal directly from ESET the least expensive route, or should I be looking for a vender who could give me a better price?

Thanks again all....you've been very considerate and informative. Any more comment would be appreciated.

Richard

• Most Valued Members

I have watched various tests of computer security software and found that the lead changes quite frequently. It reminds me of a long long horse race. At times different products are number 1 and the next Eset, Kaspersky, Bitdefender or Norton will be number 1 and perhaps even some new start up. My point is that it changes from one set of tests to the next. At the time I purchased Eset it was number 1. That said I am satisfied with Eset and don't see a change in my future.

After reading reviews of a product I generally go to the available forums for the product. Let's face it people posting in a help forum have a problem and I can get an idea of the issues that may arise with the product.

If you have used the other products and like them better for your own reasons then that's the way to go. However, the product you select may or may not be number 1 in the next round of tests.

I wish you the best and safe computing with any product you decide on.

On Edit:

I can't help you on cost, I just renew directly with ESET.

Edited by SCR

Hello Richard. I too am a "civilian". What I mean when I say that is that I am not the smartest IT/PC person on this forum (after all I'm retired and do not get paid to think anymore). I am here to learn as well as I like to "understand" things. Being a bit older these days, one thing I've learned is not to chase "pie in the sky" (who's #1 this week) these days. Find what works (for you) and stick with it (until something really bad happens, then get help and re-evaluate). We know that you are not being disrespectful. I like they way you try figure out what is best for you. For me, I like things to work for me, not against me-with a minimum of effort (unless I want to get involved).   

Folks like Marcos, Arakasi, SweX and others (like Janus) have the vast knowledge base that I lack and they are part of the reason I come here. We may not agree on everything or see eye to eye, but after all that is part of learning. Not sure about the ad campaign ESET is using (the 2014 thing), like I said I'll continue to use the version # and know I have the latest thing.

As far as cost, like SCR, I buy direct from ESET (their best deal was during Black Friday...or was it Cyber Monday? :unsure:). Being in the States, you could call ESET +1 (866) 343-3738 in San Diego, CA and see if they can cut you a deal. Once you do that, keep your eyes open next Black Friday (or Cyber Monday) to add a renewal (that's' what I did). I do not know about buying from a 3rd party vendor (I like to deal with the end of the horse that talks :P).  

Anyway, good luck and I hope you'll be back here-it's a nice place full of good people. B) ;)

Edited by TomFace

HI, SCR, Tomface, Marcos, swex, arakasi --

1) I'm currently using Smart Security 7, but per SweX's comment it is a bit confusing. So, it seems that if/when I renew next week, it will STILL have the same "7" I have now...but just keep getting updated throughout 2014? Or will the renewal download and install  a full new program and uninstall the old. It will still be called "7" just the same.

Yes it will still be V7, no you don't need to uninstall and reinstall or download anything. When you renew you will keep the current user/pass that you have now so you don't need to change anything in the product either.

After you have renewed online then after an hour or so, you should be able to see in the product interface at the Home screen see Basic Overview -> License valid until: ***** that your expire date has been updated.

3) Marcos, thanks for your input. My situation is that I'm a "civilian" in this area so most of us out in the real world Google for things. If one Googles, for example, REVIEWS ESET SMART SECURITY 7, we civilians will get PCWorld, CNET, Techrepublic, softpedia, expertreviews, and pages more...with no idea which to trust more (although I assume that the PC magazines are seen as valid). One of my favorite sites for educating myself about a product pre-purchase is www.consumersearch.com. What they do is all the research that they can possibly find on the internet about a specific product genre and tell the reader what the "experts" are saying vs. doing another review themselves. In the old days, one might go to Consumer Reports, but this site now includes CR with all the other reviewers so it's pretty comprehensive. If you go to that site and search for security software you'll see BitDefender Suite #1 (per all the "experts" combined tests, not Consumer Search's opinion or test results) and ESET not even mentioned. So, my point is that all potential customers can do is search the internet thru the wee hrs of the night and finally make a decision based on a respected site. With Consumer Search, it's even much easier because they save you the shoe leather and sleepless nights. Try the site for others stuff like HDTV, baby buggies, toasters...great site. But I digress...

A quick caution about reviews and "experts". Magazines and their website counterparts are advertising driven. They are hardly "unbiased" or "experts". Articles and reviews are written by journalists reporting on tests done by staffers. You have made the assumption that PC magazine reviews are seen as valid. I don't think that I would make that assumption. A site like consumersearch.com is only as good as the reviews that they choose to include. They tend to only include reviews by large, well known sites. Their small sample size, can by itself, introduce bias.

Reviews that you can trust are a rare commodity. "Consumer reviews" are often written by company employees investigations have found.

Forums like this are a bit more time consuming than review sites, but I find that I can get a much better feeling for a company or product than I can by reading reviews.

Been using ESET for countless years. I remember before Smart Security, I ran NOD32 AV with NO firewall. I always felt full confidence with ESET ever since I first used it. In the meantime I've tried Kaspersky several times. Very good product, but over the years, they completely lost it with their GUI, but more importantly with Kaspersky, it is extremely heavy on the resources. To the point where it's hard to run basic programs while Kaspersky is in a full scan. Not one of those reviews mention that...Not one.. Then there's Norton. They have improved over the years, as they went downhill big time about 15 years ago. Norton, completely turns me off with all those ridiculous pop ups trying to tell you that Symantec is doing the job. Also Loaded with false positives. 

Anyway, why I run Eset Smart Security;

1.ZERO false positives...(I can't stand false positives)

2.Extremely Light on resources. (as since the first days of use, and recently jumping to 7 from 5, still ESET runs very light and very smooth, as it did in my early days)

3. Excellent intuitive GUI. Makes tweaking simple, and fun

4.Customer service has NEVER let me down. My questions have always been answered lightning fast

5. But not Least...I have NOT ONCE had a virus sneak through. NOT once did I need to restore, or BOOT or anything, because of a virus/malware etc. As with day one about 13 years ago, I feel comfortable, doing anything on the internet with ESET