av on portable flash drive

kkay
Go to solution Solved by Arakasi,

I recently installed Portable Apps to my flash drive.  I then downloaded ClamWin.  I am adding portable apps mainly for any future pc problems.  I see ClamWin portable works as a portable app.  I was not going to use ClamWin unless it was an emergency.  I decided to use ClamWin just to scan the files on my flash drive, to see how it worked.  ESET NOD32 AV did not like the ClamWin, and it put 10 files in quarantine.  The files...are all local temp files from ClamWin.

WIN32\RiskWare\.PEMalform.E Application shows as reason.

After I tried looking this up, I saw a way to supposedly use ESET Nod32 as a portable av for my flash drive.  But it did not work, as I cannot find the files mentioned, to copy them to my usb flash drive.  If I can figure that out, I will delete the ClamWin on the flash drive. 

You cannot use nod32 as a portable av on your flash drive.

You can setup ESET SysRescure or you can Place a link to the online scanner on your stick.

ESET does scan external drives when installed.

:)

Clamwin sounds like a non-legitimate program, and eset killed it before it could infect your system locally.

I am taking a look at the page and program. :)

Edited by Arakasi

I tried to make a SysRescue disk, but it did not work for me.  It says selected MSI file does not exist.  I downloaded that long Windows AIK file twice, and I am tired of fooling with it.  (assessment and deployment kit)  I have a 64 bit computer. To install this, it is 5.6 GB, after you click on the installation file.  That is ridiculous.  It still didn't work.

Edited by kkay

Did you follow the instructions from the ESET knowledge base.

If you did not. Thats why you are having troubles.

How to create SysRescue disk

Read about clamwin here:

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClamWin

Under effectiveness

Its kinda bad for protection. Failed AV-TESTS

Keep in mind Sysrescue turns your usb stick into a bootable drive that scans outside of your local windows environment and inside a separate one.

Good luck kkay and let us know if you have any more troubles with SysRescue after following the guide.

I will help :)

If you would like a good portable scanner for your usb stick. I would go with Hitman Pro

Edited by Arakasi

I deleted the ClamWin.  I am reinstalling the long AIK file.  The last time it corrupted after trying it twice.  I might have messed up the 32 bit msi file part.  I will look at it again.  Thank you for trying to help me.  :)

I got the SysRescue dvd done.  It said msi file not found again.   :(   But if you go to another part of it, it will let you browse, and then go to the older ess_nt32_enu.msi file, and select it.  After I did that, it worked! :D

Success !

Glad you got it. Sorry i did not follow the error or stopping point you were at.

I have noticed some problems with updating the definitions; that i will make a new post on. Feel free to check it out.

Thank you.  I would like to see about updating definitions.  :)  I tried to make a SysRescue on a flash drive with stuff on it, but it didn't have room.  It may need a blank flash drive to work.  I am happy to have the dvd rescue though.

• 5 months later...

Thanks rugk,

Also there is a new improved linux based Sysrescue, totally beats having to obtain WinAIK and also the driver issues inside of a winPE.

See sig for link.

Only for users that read this topic later:

Now there is available a portable ESET AV, but it only protects and scans your portable drive.

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/home/products/usb-antivirus/

That seems like a good thing to have.  I would like to have ESET on a usb or hard drive, so in case my computer is really messed up, it will just be one more way to get things back in control.  (like a portable app)  But if it only works on the usb flash, or external hard drive, that would not do all I wanted.  I did not see where you could use this on multiple devices for one price, or if you had to pay that price per each usb device.  Also, I am guessing that price is a yearly payment too?

Thanks rugk,

Also there is a new improved linux based Sysrescue, totally beats having to obtain WinAIK and also the driver issues inside of a winPE.

See sig for link.

Are you talking about ESET SysRescue Live?  It says you need Windows for that.  I use Windows.  It would be nice to put that on a cd/dvd.  I did not see how much room it would require though.  I don't have a blank flash drive at the moment though.  This is something I am going to have to work on soon!  It says it would wipe all your data on a used flash drive, to put that on.  I am guessing it would have to be a dedicated drive to do that, and you can't add data afterwards?

Also there is a new improved linux based Sysrescue

Yes there is, but I wouldn't say that one of these system (Linux-based/WinPE-based) is better than the other. Both have there advantages and disadvantages.

[Portable ESET AV] seems like a good thing to have.

(...) so in case my computer is really messed up, it will just be one more way to get things back in control

Maybe, but don't forget that it only protects your external (USB) drive and can't scan your PC!

For more information about this portable ESET AV (called DriveSecurity) visit the ESET website or have a look at '"DriveSecurity powered by ESET" - Feedback'.

For really "rescuing" your PC you should use ESET SysRescue (Live). The ESET SysRescue Live is the Linux-based system and it's free to download. To use the "normal" SysRescue (without "Live" in the name) you have to install an ESET software (ESS or Nod32) and run the tool "SysRescue" in the part "Tools".

For more information about ESET SysRescue Live see this topic: ESET SysRescue Live 1.0.9.0 released

I did not see where you could use this on multiple devices for one price, or if you had to pay that price per each usb device.  Also, I am guessing that price is a yearly payment too?

1. Here you can buy a multiple device-license for one price: hxxp://www.eset.com/int/home/products/multi-device-security/
  2. This multi-device-license can be used for almost all ESET products, but unfortunately you can't use it for DriveSecurity. Maybe because DriveSecurity is quite cheap (actually $8.50) compared to other ESET software - and that's good because of the limited protection/scan functionality compared to other ESET products it don't provides so much protection.
  3. So you had to pay for each USB drive, but I also criticizes that.
  4. And yes, it's also a yearly payment! (but in the topic linked above there are also some other suggestions for a better buying)

(...)

Are you talking about ESET SysRescue Live?  It says you need Windows for that.  I use Windows.  It would be nice to put that on a cd/dvd. (...) I did not see how much room it would require though.

Yes for the live installer you need windows, but you can also download the iso file. So maybe you can burn it on CD manually.

And about the size: The ISO-Image is 324.9 MB large, so the installation on the CD/DVD/USB should also take about 324.9 MB.

Edited by rugk

OK, now some advantages of WinPE-based SysRescue:

• Many users are accustomed to use windows
  • you can add windows-software
  • maybe there are more drivers available
  • you can create a new CD with all signature updates included every time (in the Linux-based version you had to use the ISO and then you had to update the signature database every time you put in the CD)
  • you can select your MSI-file (of the ESET software) during the process of creating a SysRescue CD/DVD/USB, so you maybe are able to use an old version of ESET
  • you can manually add drivers
  • [Edit - Added later:] The WinPE-based SysRescue is (for all I know) available in the native language of the user. The Linux-based SysRescue is only available in English.
Edited by rugk

OK, now some advantages of WinPE-based SysRescue:

• Many users are accustomed to use windows
  • you can add windows-software
  • maybe there are more drivers available
  • you can create a new CD with all signature updates included every time (in the Linux-based version you had to use the ISO and then you had to update the signature database every time you put in the CD)
  • you can select your MSI-file (of the ESET software) during the process of creating a SysRescue CD/DVD/USB, so you maybe are able to use an old version of ESET
  • you can manually add drivers

Many users are accustomed to use windows

-There is no big difference in the UI of win or linux based, it uses the same backbone UI. (The eset environment "scan/update/settings")

Maybe there are more drivers available

- The driver issue was what prompted the creation of a linux based so drivers don't come into play

you can create a new CD with all signature updates included every time

- I use a usb stick, we are at the age of creating computers without cd drives

- I have no issues with database updates at all using the linux version

you can select your MSI-file (of the ESET software) during the process of creating a SysRescue CD/DVD/USB, so you maybe are able to use an old version of ESET

- why would you use an older version which has less features and the protection isn't as strong ?

- All latest versions should be compatible everywhere, if not contact ESET and let them know of the compat. error.

Again, no thanks on drivers, besides when cleaning a computer the only drivers you need are the HD and the keyboard/mouse/screen. ( Just get your scan done. )

Drivers missing and being unable to add new ones is what started the linux based.

Can you manually add a laptops wifi adapter driver inside the windows based sysrescue ? I could not or i didn't try very hard either and moved on.

Thanks for your list and taking the time to reply, as i can agree to disagree with your answers. :)

Thanks for reading too !!

Edited by Arakasi

OK, many things that you said are right, but I don't want to start a discuss here about "What is better: ESET SysRescue or ESET SysRescue Live????" so:

Back to topic.