Jump to content

Microsoft Apps (WindowsApps) and Interactive Firewall Setting = Never Ending Headache


Recommended Posts

I hate to rehash an old subject that I've complained about already, but the firewall issue in relation to Microsoft Apps (Store apps, etc.) located in the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ is becoming a bigger and bigger headache for those up us that prefer to use the Interactive firewall setting instead of the Automatic one. I'm having to recreate firewall rules and delete the old, obsolete ones almost daily now.

The issue lies with the fact that the folder path of the app(s) changes every time the app is updated. The folder name contains the current version number of the app, so every time the apps are updated, the current firewall rule is no longer valid, and the the app now looks like a NEW app with no firewall rule, instead of an updated app that just needs approval from the firewall to transfer the current rule to the updated file. Because of this craziness I have create a NEW firewall rule for the updated app, and subsequently hunt down and delete the old rule that is no longer valid.

It is a MAJOR HEADACHE, and I don't understand why something can't be, or hasn't been, done to resolve this problem.

For further information, here is the original thread I posted about this problem:
https://forum.eset.com/topic/13012-microsoft-outlook-communications-hxtsrexe-firewall-rules/?_fromLogin=1

Edited by FeMaster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Currently you can't avoid creating new rules or editing paths in existing rules but from a long-term perspective there should be a solution to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am new to the forums and came here to report that eset missed some type of pop-up malware this morning. I came across this thread on top of the heap when entering this room. From what I read and this has now been months ago, is it safe to say that FeMaster has succumbed to 'Automatic' mode? It would seem to be a wise choice after all. I have never been one to entice doing it myself but I am sure this option was created for some specific situation in computing. Now, who to ask about that?  I just got up so coffee must be had next! Cheers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
16 minutes ago, PStreicher said:

I am new to the forums and came here to report that eset missed some type of pop-up malware this morning. I came across this thread on top of the heap when entering this room. From what I read and this has now been months ago, is it safe to say that FeMaster has succumbed to 'Automatic' mode? It would seem to be a wise choice after all. I have never been one to entice doing it myself but I am sure this option was created for some specific situation in computing. Now, who to ask about that?  I just got up so coffee must be had next! Cheers! 

This is probably not related to the topic. Please create a new topic in the appropriate forum, specifically in Malware Finding and Cleaning if you want to discuss malware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2018 at 6:35 AM, Marcos said:

Currently you can't avoid creating new rules or editing paths in existing rules but from a long-term perspective there should be a solution to this.

Yes, If this is the way of the future, where more and more apps and software are going to be going through the MS Store, there definitely needs to be something figured out with regards to this changing folder path issue.

And to answer your original question, which showed up in my email but was apparently removed by you after the fact: Microsoft Firewall. The most obvious one that can handle when an application updates with a changed folder path. I've not used anything than other than Eset or Microsoft since this whole app thing has come about, so I can't comment on whether or not other vendors' products are capable of doing it or not. Perhaps the MS built-in firewall would be a good place for Eset's software developers to start with, to see how Microsoft does it and go from there with their own software firewall.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't update store Apps or just disable/remove them. there is also an option in Eset firewall to allow universal Apps! just check that options see if it helps?

Edited by persian-boy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, persian-boy said:

there is also an option in Eset firewall to allow universal Apps! just check that options see if it helps?

That only applies to Metro apps:

Quote

Metro apps are touch-screen-friendly apps written especially for Microsoft's WinRT programming interfaces. 

ARM-based Windows RT devices, such as the Surface tablet, will require Metro apps. Devices running Windows 8 are expected to be able to run both Metro apps and Win32 apps.

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/Metro-apps

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...