New Eset User Community

Advice

Dear Team:

I am starting writting us from this place because I dont find any email to put this suggestion for our Blog: welivesecurity or if you could to explain me throw here I wil be very Glad.

Could you tell me if the company explain in some where how to do a correct hardreset to delet any Malware and also how to do before it like for a example to make a complet backup (Telegrsm chats it make me difficult to do it) without risks of losing information or carrying malware...

Second: Could you suggest which could be the correct configuration of a phone to next a security research could work more propely to find vulnerabilities after we are infected with a malware, example: having a phone without much apps?having two phones? By cleaning something like cache, that dont have much important information to detect the troyan? But especialy dont get to lose some tracks..

Third: why is difficult to detect sometines troyans if you know all the files that you need to work the system at all?

Fourth: Which techniques you work to detect malware or it could be the most important to took a easy detection, for example: Dinamic or static monitoring analysis Malware?
In this case could we work in a service to make this monitor remote of my phone by aleatory to detect them?

Finally could you inform me about what it means this services? It means that you will have an email from our servers?

www.eset.com/int/business/enterprise/dynamic-mail-protection/

Best Regards.

PD: My mother language is spanish, if you can put me in contact with:
www.eset.com/int/business/enterprise/dynamic-mail-protection/

• Administrators

Hello,

1, If you perform a factory (hard) reset of a mobile phone,  you lose all data stored in the internal memory. On the other hand, backing up all data also brings a risk of including possible malware that might be on the phone. I would say that backing up only multimedia files and documents that you recognize (ie. without installed applications) should be relatively safe .

2, What you can do for better protection: use a phone from a trusted maker, install applications only from Google Play, install applications that you really need and have a good rating from a lot of users, use an antivirus and keep it up to date.

3, Whitelisting objects (apps in this case) is far more difficult than blacklisting malicious ones and it's basically impossible. If you ran into  a 100% legit application not recognized by the AV maker, it would be blocked. It is beyond any AV maker to analyze all applications (be it in GP store or the others), determine whether an application is benign to permit it and to keep pace with new applications being added every day.

4, Most of detections (also called DNA smart detections) are nowadays based on a dynamic analysis of malware that is performed by advanced heuristics in an isolated virtual environment upon scanning a file.

5, V7 server products support ESET Dynamic Threat Defense (EDTD). In case of a mail server, with EDTD enabled suspicious files (attachments) are first sent to ESET's EDTD server for analysis. In an EDTD sandbox, the sample is run and evaluated by various mechanisms, including the Augur machine learning system that leverages neural networks. You can choose what type of files can be submitted as well as the retention period (e.g. files can be removed from EDTD servers immediately after analysis). Based on the result, such email is either delivered to the addressee if the attachment was evaluated as clean or it's blocked on the mail server.

For more information about Augur, refer to https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/06/20/machine-learning-eset-road-augur/. For a list of techniques developed and leveraged by ESET products, please read https://www.eset.com/int/about/technology/.