New install of SS7, first scan taking a long time

I just installed Smart Security 7, previously I was running Windows Security Essentials.   The "First Scan" has been running for over 1-1/2 hours.  For the past 30 min, its been on 97-99%.   Is this "normal"?   Will every scan take this long?   I havent used ESET in about 6 years, I remember it being a fast, lightweight AV.   

Good evening demonlight.

The first scan is suppose to take longer then consecutive scan.

It uses a technology called Smart Optimization.

It checks every single file on your computer on the first scan, this can take 1-5 hours +

The next time it scans, it will only be scanning files that have changed since the last scan, thus making the scan times increasingly faster.

By changed, i would have to elaborate a lot as what i mean by change is very broad. Hope you get the jist though. :)

This thread should help you understand the percentage your watching for your scan :

https://forum.eset.com/topic/1194-progress-bars/?hl=%2Bscan+%2Blong#entry6770

Thanks for your interest and i assure you, the AV you have now is good and is still a very fast and lightweight AV. You will notice in the coming days :)

What AV did you come from ? Just curious ? May have a few words on it.

Thanks !

Have a look over at the old wilders forums at a post which has additional details on smart optimization.

Apparently this is a proprietary ESET technology or set of code, that they use.

hxxp://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=298427

Credit goes to Mr Folsom. +1

Thanks to him.

:)

Good evening demonlight.

The first scan is suppose to take longer then consecutive scan.

It uses a technology called Smart Optimization.

It checks every single file on your computer on the first scan, this can take 1-5 hours +

The next time it scans, it will only be scanning files that have changed since the last scan, thus making the scan times increasingly faster.

By changed, i would have to elaborate a lot as what i mean by change is very broad. Hope you get the jist though. :)

This thread should help you understand the percentage your watching for your scan :

https://forum.eset.com/topic/1194-progress-bars/?hl=%2Bscan+%2Blong#entry6770

Thanks for your interest and i assure you, the AV you have now is good and is still a very fast and lightweight AV. You will notice in the coming days :)

What AV did you come from ? Just curious ? May have a few words on it.

Thanks !

Thanks for the detailed response.   As stated in my first post, I was using MS Security Essentials.  After reading several reports of it becoming weak AV, I decided to come back to ESET.

Ah , MSE.

Tis a great Free AV, but the additional features and types of malware that ESET detects and removes, definitely trumps MSE.

Welcome back to the best demon ! ;)

Welcome Rockin-Eset and demonlight. My rule of thumb is to allow 2 hours for a FULL/In-depth scan-of course it takes less time than that, but that works for me. B)  I think in hour equivalents when dealing with PC tasks.  

Edited by TomFace

After the first scan, I did a "Quick Scan".  This took a little over an hour.   I noticed the quick scan also scanned my other drive (E:).   By default, is there a scheduled time when these scans take place?

Like Arakasi said you can set up your scan according to YOUR schedule. My scheduled in-depth scan is during my off hours. I really like the ability to set up a "triggered" scan, such as after a threat detection-I have a in-depth scan set up. You can set them up for a weekly run or as often as you want.The smart scan is good for a "quickie".

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3207&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1388843613161

Edited by TomFace