Tray menu options poll

Tray menu options poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the the tray menu options do you access most often?

• Home
    • Statistics
    • Block network
    • Temporarily disable protection
    • Temporarily disable firewall
    • Advanced setup
    • Log files
    • Open ESET Smart Security
    • Reset window layout
    • About
  2. 2. Which of the the tray menu options do you access rarely or never and find them not useful?

• Home
    • Statistics
    • Block network
    • Temporarily disable protection
    • Temporarily disable firewall
    • Advanced setup
    • Log files
    • Open ESET Smart Security
    • Reset window layout
    • About
  3. 3. What option do you find useful and would like to add it to the tray menu?

• Update now
    • Quick scan (equivalent to a complete startup scan)
    • Other (specify in a post)

Or if you simply buy another license all together when you have an active already.

Another scenario.

I could list more but i still agree update should be added too.

I have. More then i can count on my hand.

You install and activate the 30 day trial.

Then you recieve a username and password after you buy.

Then this feature us used.

I am an authorized distributor so i see it more SCR.

Are we or I mixing this up here unless resellers can do this differently in their own way of course. And are we talking about the same thing even?

When I renew I go to my distributors website chose renew and pay, that's all I need to do. The user/pass remains the same. So there's no need to change anything in the product or pick an option in the traymenu.

I'm having one of these confusing moments I think  :D

Edited by SweX

Are we or I mixing this up here unless resellers can do this differently in their own way of course. And are we talking about the same thing even?

When I renew I go to my distributors website chose renew and pay, that's all I need to do. The user/pass remains the same. So there's no need to change anything in the product or pick an option in the traymenu.

I'm having one of these confusing moments I think  :D

Additional selling options Swex.

Web Portal to login and setup. Sometimes we receive correspondence in some form or fashion that provides the clients credentials in the scenario that we are installing the product for them :)

Hence the term reseller, I will buy a license, and then turn around and sell it to my client for the same and i provide the license to them.

So the feature may not be for the single home user, however there is still a broad and vast range of people that install ESET for others, whether it be distributor or partners, maybe even network administrators. :o 

• Most Valued Members

Or if you simply buy another license all together when you have an active already.

Another scenario.

I could list more but i still agree update should be added too.

I understand the new license or expansion of an existing license but still in most cases, obviously not all, your current credentials are used. 

As a distributor it makes sense that you would run in to this issue far more then the average user.

With most software that I purchase the registration is somewhere on the program menus or on the "About" screen. Some are more prominent then others and most do not display once the product is registered. I have never had a problem finding where to enter the registration info. 

It just seems to me that with the limited tray menu space the "Activate your Product" item could be on the "About" screen. Maybe it could read  "About/Activate" or something similar on the tray menu. 

Be well

• 2 months later...

I access most often: Home

I access rarely or never: Log files

Other specified: Enable Gamer Mode with mouse click via tray icon or with keyboard combination.

Edit:

And an option to use Rollback via tray icon would be great, for easier and faster navigation.

Edited by ESSfan

• 4 months later...

Hi, I would love to see an option to show Network Connections on my ESS tray menu. It's the one feature I check the most (to make sure no rogue app is taking my bandwidth -among other stuff..-

Hi, I would love to see an option to show Network Connections on my ESS tray menu. It's the one feature I check the most (to make sure no rogue app is taking my bandwidth -among other stuff..-

OK, but I think that this is an option that (especially not such advanced users) don't check very often.

Other specified: Enable Gamer Mode with mouse click via tray icon or with keyboard combination.

Nice idea (with the hot key), but if it will added it would be nice to made it configurable.

And for @all IMO the best things to improve the tray menu would be the following. But because I know, that they can complicate support, I want to say that these two things should be separated from the other (default) tray menu options (e.g. in a submenu) and these other options also shouldn't be replaced, but they should still be there in the context menu ((quite) at the same place).

You should either...

• make a "often used" or "favored tools" part, which will automatically list the most often accessed tools or actions or
  • make a configurable part in their, where the user can configure (from the advanced settings) what tools or actions should be listed there (I would suggest that this list is empty for default and an empty list should just be hidden in the tray menu, so that it won't be displayed at all for many users that don't want to use this feature)

Anyway I always liked that you can configure the ESET software so much and for the tray menu it would also be a great thing.

And of course you can also made a "hybrid" of the option before, where the list will be updated automatically, but the user can configure the list and "pin" things. Such a hybrid is shown below.

Here is what it could look like:

post-3952-0-30016800-1409598748_thumb.png

Edit: Added mockup to show how it could look.

Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea...Looks good especially the "Configure this list" option.

Very thanks. I hope it will be implemented in this or a similar way.

If so all users could add the thing(s) they need often or (with the automatically created "Often used" list) the program could also do this by itself.

Great idea...Looks good especially the "Configure this list" option.

or (with the automatically created "Often used" list) the program could also do this by itself.

Yes I like that way, and I believe that would be best and easiest to implement. Just like how the "frequently used" works today, only that this includes a little bit more. :)

Edited by SweX

Yes, but actually "frequently used" is only static. So it doesn't care what the user really frequently uses.

And in my idea this would care and it would be configurable, so nobody can blame ESET anymore and say "But this option isn't in the tray menu! Please add it.", because he can just adjust it by himself.

And because ESET is already very configurable (which I like) this would be a good "extension" of the configurability.

Edited by rugk

Yes, but actually "frequently used" is only static. So it doesn't care what the user really frequently uses.

I haven't noticed or thought about that so wich options do you see as frequently used that don't change ? 

Edited by SweX

I haven't noticed or thought about that so wich options do you see as frequently used that don't change ? 

Home(page) and Statistics.

This is the same for every user. Just look at the first possible answers for the first or second question in this poll. There they are!

So in really it is a "faked" frequently used.

And for me I can say that I don't use "statistics" frequently.

Unlike me then, I use statistics everyday. I thought it was there since I actually do use statistics everyday.  :D

Yes being able to customize is always nice, its just that one part of the program will be very cluttered if you want the user to be able to chose from basically any location.  :unsure:

Would it not be easier just to have two checkboxes like "show the 5 most frequently used in the menu" and "show the 10 most frequently used in the menu"  Or you think 10 is too few as well ? 

Edited by SweX

Yes being able to customize is always nice, its just that one part of the program will be very cluttered if you want the user to be able to chose from basically any location.  :unsure:

Would it not be easier just to have two checkboxes like "show the 5 most frequently used in the menu" and "show the 10 most frequently used in the menu"  Or you think 10 is too few as well ? 

Ehm cluttered? What would be cluttered?

And no not all location, maybe just the location at the left and all big buttons there (incl. Tools), additionally I would add "Activate product"," About" and "Help". So they don't have such many to choose from.

I also talked of the automatic mode where the frequently used list will automatically created. The basic setting for this could be like you explained, but anyway I prefer a fully customizable menu. But it could be an addition to the automatic mode (and this two "modes" together I called hybrid in my first post here).

BTW in my picture are 8 entries and this looks quite good, but 10 might be the maximum IMHO.

• Most Valued Members

Frequently Used has never changed no matter what I use. If it actually worked it would show that I frequently use Update.

Ehm cluttered? What would be cluttered?

And no not all location, maybe just the location at the left and all big buttons there (incl. Tools), additionally I would add "Activate product"," About" and "Help". So they don't have such many to choose from.

I also talked of the automatic mode where the frequently used list will automatically created. The basic setting for this could be like you explained, but anyway I prefer a fully customizable menu. But it could be an addition to the automatic mode (and this two "modes" together I called hybrid in my first post here).

BTW in my picture are 8 entries and this looks quite good, but 10 might be the maximum IMHO.

I meant depending how many different entries you could add to the menu. Yeah maybe 10 should be the max limit.

Frequently Used has never changed no matter what I use. If it actually worked it would show that I frequently use Update.

I actual click on "open eset smart security" every singel time and then browse to where ever i'm going, it just takes 1-2 sec longer depending on where im going in the UI.  :D

I actual click on "open eset smart security" every singel time and then browse to where ever i'm going, it just takes 1-2 sec longer depending on where im going in the UI.  :D

Anyway to make it accessible from the tray menu would be a great option.

Edited by rugk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...