Unable to reset Remote Administrator Appliance 6.4

Hi All,

had  a bit of a meltdown after the odbc issue and I am trying to reset the appliance so I can restore the mysql database from backup.

The reset fails with mysql login errors. 

Any advice to get the reset to work?

Thanks

• ESET Staff

I would recommend to deploy new appliance, and import database there. Or are there any local changes you made on appliance?

Regarding reset, If a recall correctly, cleaning database is one of last steps -> so maybe you can already re-configure that appliance, or it is not available?

The import on new appliance fails, my concern is the certificates that are on the existing appliance. I Dont want to have to reinstall the agent again on all machines as this had to be done manually originally, with none of the push options and the silent installs did not work either.

If i try and reconfigure the appliance it fails with mysql errors. unable to login as root on localhost?

• ESET Staff

In case migration fails during database export/import, my recommendation is to try:

1. deploy ESMC 7.0 appliance but do not configure it
  2. restore your database backup in newly deployed appliance, under the same name (era_db). Password for root account in database will be default "eraadmin"
  3. Once database is imported, configure appliance using web interface. As a result, appliance should behave as if migrated.

Second alternative is to restore database in original appliance. From your description of problem, it seems that is it not possible to reset root password to MySQL database. There might be multiple problems, including database malfunction or data corruption. I guess it should be possible to reset password manually to default "eraadmin", which will be used during next configuration.

Thanks I have made some progress.

I reset the existing appliance and found the database would not provision and remains blank.

After trying various manual imports appears something weird with the database it created. Dropped the database and created  anew one and imported fine.

Appears i need an era sql user. Based on another appliance I built. 

Any idea where to find the era sql user password so I can create it manually and make sure it has permissions?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks followed your suggestion 

1. deploy ESMC 7.0 appliance but do not configure it
  2. restore your database backup in newly deployed appliance, under the same name (era_db). Password for root account in database will be default "eraadmin"
  3. Once database is imported, configure appliance using web interface. As a result, appliance should behave as if migrated.

worked well.

Thanks.