Internet Security keeps scanning my files at startup

Have an idea of what's going on. @Marcos, correct me if I am wrong.

I believe Eset works similar to most other AV products in that after a signature definition update occurs, a Smart scan would be run. This Is SOP and done since a new signature could detect existing resident malware. The first thing Eset does at system startup assuming a measurable time lapse has occurred is to update it's signatures. As such, a Smart scan would be run afterwards.

From what I can determine, there is no way a user can alert this behavior if this is what the OP is observing.

1 hour ago, itman said:

Have an idea of what's going on. @Marcos, correct me if I am wrong.

I believe Eset works similar to most other AV products in that after a signature definition update occurs, a Smart scan would be run. This Is SOP and done since a new signature could detect existing resident malware. The first thing Eset does at system startup assuming a measurable time lapse has occurred is to update it's signatures. As such, a Smart scan would be run afterwards.

From what I can determine, there is no way a user can alert this behavior if this is what the OP is observing.

I believe you are referring to a system start file check after an update (which is a default scan in the scheduler). I do not think that is what the OP is referring to. If it is a full scan (according to your guess), there would be more reports of unwanted scans assuming your guess is correct...I also understand what a start up scan is (it's not really a "smart scan" (although smart optimization may be enabled))...it's basically invisible to the user and that is NOT what the OP is reporting. I think the OP needs to follow Marcos's lead...I also think there may be more to it than we already know.

Edited by TomFace

11 hours ago, TomFace said:

I believe you are referring to a system start file check after an update (which is a default scan in the scheduler).

No, I wasn't referring to that scan. In ver. 11, it specifically states it is only run after Eset module updates.

Now it is entirely possible Eset does not do a quick scan after signature definition updates but that would be the exception. Every other AV I have used in the past did do a quick scan after a signature definition update.

Another possibility is if the OP inadvertently enabled "Idle State Scan" in the Malware Scan section of the Eset GUI. This will perform scanning when the computer is idle.

I will send Marcos the exported settings when I will have hands on a machine again. Today I didn't have.

Edited by doctorWho

5 hours ago, doctorWho said:

I will send Marcos the exported settings when I will have hangs on a machine again. Today I didn't have.

Eset GUI settings don't dynamically change on their own. The only way they can be changed is via user manual input. So there is no reason to wait for a system hang to send you exported Eset settings.

Also this is the first you mentioned anything about your system hanging. Are you stating that Eset scheduled scanning is hanging/locking up your PC?

2 minutes ago, itman said:

Eset GUI settings don't dynamically change on their own. The only way they can be changed is via user manual input. So there is no reason to wait for a system hang to send you exported Eset settings.

Also this is the first you mentioned anything about your system hanging. Are you stating that Eset scheduled scanning is hanging/locking up your PC?

Wrong typing. I wanted to type "hands", not "hangs". I am so sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 6:07 PM, Marcos said:

I meant especially real-time protection and the on-demand scanner.
Would it be possible to provide me with an exported configuration of the installed ESET product at least?

I sent you pm with the file two days ago. I am wating for your replay.

• Administrators

The config was ok. Please contact your local customer care to troubleshoot the issue further. To start off, provide them with logs gathered by ELC.