Windows machines showing as 'unmanaged'

ESET version:
ESET Remote Administrator (Server), Version 6.3.148.0
ESET Remote Administrator (Web Console), Version 6.3.114.0
CentOS (64-bit), Version 6.7 

Installed ESET Remote Admin 6 Agent on Windows 10 Pro 1803

I have installed the Agent on two Windows 10 machines but they are still showing as unmanaged.
I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the agent and removing them from the webconsle but they keep coming back as unmanaged. 

I have done this on over 100 other PCs in our office and have not had this happen before.

Just wondering what is the common cause of this happening?

• ESET Staff

So it seems AGENT is successfully connecting. In such case, there are two most common issues:

• AGENT is connecting, but with different device name. For example if you synchronized devices from AD, but device reported different FQDN (name) than it has in AD tree. In such case, I would recommend to search for device not by name, but maybe by IP address. I would also recommend to use Renaming task so that devices in console are renamed to their current FQDN/ComputerName. That would help especially in case devices are changing name often.
  • AGENT is connecting, but it updates state of different device, This might happen in case installation of AGENT was cloned, i.e. AGENT was not installed cleanly, but instead whole machine has been cloned. In such case, all clones will be presented in console as one device (the original one), and all clones will be unmanaged. Remediation is to use so called Reset cloned agent task or reinstall AGENTs on cloned machines. I would also point out that if this is the case, new ESMC 7.0 (successor of ERA) has automatic support for handling cloned devices.

Thanks again Martin

- I did not have AD sync enabled so I don't think that is the cause of the issue. Since seeing your message I have enabled  AD sync to see if it would help but unfortunately it has not.

- The agent was not cloned either. The agent was installed on newly built Windows 10 machines, using the same agent we have used for all of the other installs.

I'm still trying to work out why this is happening all of a sudden.

Would it be best to install ESMC 7.0 to see if that would help?

We currently have ESET Remote Administrator (Server), Version 6.3.148.0 installed on CentOS (64-bit), Version 6.7 .

Is there a guide on doing the update as I have not done it before

• ESET Staff
6 hours ago, Waltered said:

Thanks again Martin

- I did not have AD sync enabled so I don't think that is the cause of the issue. Since seeing your message I have enabled  AD sync to see if it would help but unfortunately it has not.

- The agent was not cloned either. The agent was installed on newly built Windows 10 machines, using the same agent we have used for all of the other installs.

I'm still trying to work out why this is happening all of a sudden.

Would it be best to install ESMC 7.0 to see if that would help?

We currently have ESET Remote Administrator (Server), Version 6.3.148.0 installed on CentOS (64-bit), Version 6.7 .

Is there a guide on doing the update as I have not done it before

In you case, I would recommend to migrate whole appliance to new one. Steps are described in following documentation topic.

Technically you will deploy new appliance (as the old one), and instead of configuring it using web interface, you will use console "menu" to migrate database from old appliance to new one. Be aware that this will migrate only ERA, not changes you possible made locally on appliance. Once migrated, you will have to force AGENT to connect to new appliance, by means of network/hostname configuration. You should definitely backup/snapshot original appliance before starting process.

It is also possible to diagnose original issue from enabled full trace log and possibly export of specific data, but that would require assistance and if you decide to go this way, please contact your local ESET support to assist you.