Please solve the bugs in ESS 7.0.302.26

Hi ESET guys and everybody.

ESS 7 has introduced 2 bugs and a "change" that even though as an average user are not very painful to me, they're still very annoying. I'm wondering if an update is coming or should I revert to ESS6 for the moment?

Let me say that I've configured the Firewall to Interactive mode upon installation.

First bug (also mentioned HERE ) is the "empty popup window" that I think belongs to the firewall module. However recently it doesn't appear anymore, which i think is because of the 2nd bug:

Second bug (almost explained HERE ): I'm not seeing the interactive firewall messages anymore; and it's not just in games. Few days after installation firewall asked me and I allowed web browser and other common programs to communicate, but now all programs are simply blocked and ESET firewall doesn't ask for action. I'm manually adding rules for now.

Third "bug" is, in ESS 6 and before I never got Windows UAC confirmation messages, but in ESS 7 whenever I want to turn off the Firewall or Antivirus, or press the Advanced Setup dialog's OK button, as well as some other actions, a UAC prompt pops up asking me if I want to let a program called "ESET Elevated Client" make changes to my computer.

Best Regards.

Guest tomazyk

Third "bug" can be solved if you  uncheck option "Require full administrator rights for limited administrator accounts" in User interface section.

post-1281-0-02188000-1388576042_thumb.jpg

Local security policy is probably at fault on that third one as well. Which is a setting the user adjusts on windows, not ESET.

The 2nd quoted...

I'm not seeing the interactive firewall messages anymore; and it's not just in games. Few days after installation firewall asked me and I allowed web browser and other common programs to communicate, but now all programs are simply blocked and ESET firewall doesn't ask for action. I'm manually adding rules for now.

What mode is the firewall in ?

Your first bug doesnt appear anymore, so what mode are you in now ?

Thanks for suggestion, tomazyk. That seems to work for the third thing, however I never had to change that setting in ESS 6.

Arakasi questions: I have set firewall to Interactive in installer's advanced mode and I havent changed it. (Actually once after seeing the above bugs I changed it to Automatic then back to Interactive but it didn't help)

I haven't considered wiping and reinstalling ESS because I saw other people on this forum with the same problems (and also for the pita of uninstalling), should I give it a try?

Give it a try, re-installing Eset product is not that much of a pita like people state.

Use this as a guide for firewall : hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3190

Some settings in the program can be exported & re-imported. However i would not export the firewall settings if that is the culprit.

• 1 month later...

Second bug (almost explained HERE ): I'm not seeing the interactive firewall messages anymore; and it's not just in games. Few days after installation firewall asked me and I allowed web browser and other common programs to communicate, but now all programs are simply blocked and ESET firewall doesn't ask for action. I'm manually adding rules for now.

Something similar has happened to me several times already, only hours after first installation, - I do get the popup asking me to all or block, but when I click on the advanced settings to customize the rule, nothing happens. Cursor rapidly (and almost unnoticeably) blinks for a fragment of a second, but the window doesn't "expand", and I don't see the other options. It's extremely frustrating.

I am sure it's some sort of a bug related strictly to the interface, but I couldn't find any pattern at all. It just seems totally random.

edit:

I got it.

It happens when some of the "subwindows" of the main advanced settings for the entire SS are open, namely the "rules editor" for HIPS and firewall, and also the IDS exceptions (and probably more of the same kind).

Having the general advanced settings window for the entire SS doesn't cause any problems itself.

Edited by Octopuss

• 1 month later...

I am having the UAC issue when logging in using a limited user (on Windows 7). What can I do in this case ?

So the user is always asked for the administrator password after logging in, in order for the ESET Elevated Client to run.

The "Require full administrator rights for limited administrator accounts" setting is unchecked.

Any help is appreciated.

• Administrators

Limited users are not allowed to modify program settings on purpose. Users with administrator rights can prevent UAC prompts by disabling the box shown in the screen shot in the post #3.

Limited users are not allowed to modify program settings on purpose. Users with administrator rights can prevent UAC prompts by disabling the box shown in the screen shot in the post #3.

As I said, the "Require full administrator rights for limited administrator accounts" setting is unchecked. The limited user still gets the UAC prompt after logging in. 

Note that this happens when the limited user logs in, not when he tries to modify any settings.

As I said, the "Require full administrator rights for limited administrator accounts" setting is unchecked. The limited user still gets the UAC prompt after logging in. 

Note that this happens when the limited user logs in, not when he tries to modify any settings.

norey, the only thing that option is for, is accessing setup for ESET's program. It requires limited accounts to enter a user name and password of an account with full admin privileges just to enter setup.

Admin accounts don't receive a prompt when entering setup, and they always receive a prompt when adjusting a setting that interacts with core windows services.

The prompt you are getting is totally different and probably reacts with services enough to require an admin account.

You will need to turn off your UAC in windows or provide the limited account with the permissions for whatever is occurring to stop your login prompt.

Edited by Arakasi