'Update or remove incompatible applications' in latest google chrome for EIS

• ESET Insiders

Today, I noticed this for the first time while I open the google chrome. Any idea why this is showing & what I should do

Screenshot (105).png

• Administrators

Something caused Chrome to crash and since ESET was injected in it, Chrome reported it as incompatible even if ESET might not have been the culprit.

• ESET Insiders

EDIT, delete this comment

Edited by SM03
Duplicate

• ESET Insiders
7 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Something caused Chrome to crash and since ESET was injected in it, Chrome reported it as incompatible even if ESET might not have been the culprit.

Wired.
I've been using Chrome & ESET since the very beginning of each of these products & never seen this kind of incompatibility issue in between this, neither seen anyone to report such. Where can I report this to the ESET officials to fix this?

• Administrators

You don't have to report it to ESET because it was not necessarily ESET that caused the crash. It might have been another 3rd party software which attempted to inject into Chrome, causing it to crash.

It's actually a new feature in recent Chrome versions that report 3rd party applications as incompatible in the event of a crash. Future versions of Chrome will block injection completely.

• ESET Insiders
11 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You don't have to report it to ESET because it was not necessarily ESET that caused the crash. It might have been another 3rd party software which attempted to inject into Chrome, causing it to crash.

It's actually a new feature in recent Chrome versions that report 3rd party applications as incompatible in the event of a crash. Future versions of Chrome will block injection completely.

okay, TY Marcos.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been happening to my Google Chrome browser now for the past 3 days. It completely closes the browser.  ESET or Google needs to get a handle on this.  I don't want to be in video conference or live broadcast and it crashes because of this.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Hipstar said:

This has been happening to my Google Chrome browser now for the past 3 days. It completely closes the browser.  ESET or Google needs to get a handle on this.  I don't want to be in video conference or live broadcast and it crashes because of this.

If your Chrome is crashing, it is unlikely because of ESET. You can try disabling advanced scanning of browser scripts in the web protection setup to prevent ESET from being injected into Chrome and see if it makes any difference.

FYI to anyone receiving this alert.

For starters, I would not disable anything in Eset. This is because:

Pedro Bustamante, Vice President Products & Research at Malwarebytes, elaborated further and told BleepingComputer that Chrome is not actually checking whether a listed incompatible app is causing the crash. Instead they use a blacklist and simply check if those programs are installed, and if they are, list them after a crash.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/bitdefender-disables-anti-exploit-monitoring-in-chrome-after-google-policy-change/

Personally, I would start using another browser. If everyone did that, I believe Google would "get the message," stop this ridiculous baloney, and start working with the AV vendors instead of against them.

I had the same issue just now which is why I was looking through Eset troubleshooting. I saw a link to these forums and came here to search for a solution. I too have been using Eset and Chrome for years with no issues. Like everyone else posting about this issue, my system crashed and I got the message about Eset being incompatible with Chrome. It disturbs me that Google suggests we should remove Eset. I hope there's a solution found soon. In the meanwhile, I will use another browser. Sorry, Google, if I have to choose between Chrome and Eset, Eset wins. 

Can Eset do an addon that you install in Chrome that would do the same protection?

I personally use Microsoft Edge (for my need it's ok). Ort maybe Eset protect less because I use Edge?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 8/30/2018 at 3:30 AM, MartinPe said:

Can Eset do an addon that you install in Chrome that would do the same protection?

No, the same level of protection cannot be achieved with an extension. Injection into a browser is a must to keep the current level of protection.

I personally use Microsoft Edge (for my need it's ok). Ort maybe Eset protect less because I use Edge?

To my best knowledge ESET doesn't inject into Edge because it runs sandboxed.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

To my best knowledge ESET doesn't inject into Edge because it runs sandboxed

To set things straight, that is not the reason.

Edge uses the same sandbox that IE11 uses - AppContainer. Eset has no problem injecting its .dll into an AppContainer instance of IE11. In prior versions of Eset, it did try to inject a .dll into an Edge. It was blocked by the Code Integrity Guard mitigation of Windows Defender Exploit Guard. The Code Integrity Guard mitigation prohibits injection of any code that is not Microsoft signed. This mitigation is set on by default in Edge and there is no way to override it. Either Eset did not want to purchase a code signing certificate from Microsoft to sign their .dll or Microsoft refused to sell them one. Suspect the later is the case. 

• Most Valued Members
On 10/4/2018 at 10:34 PM, brandobot said:

This is also affecting us. Is there a way to prevent or fix this?

For now as far as I know , no , you could exclude Chrome from being scanned by ESET , or you could switch to another browser like Firefox or Palemoon.