Benefit of CyberSecurity Firewall over the out-of-box firewall in OSX Mac

What are benefit of Eset CyberSecurity (ECS) Firewall over the out-of-box firewall in OSX Mac?

• Does ECS work with the default application firewall?
  • Does ECS handle incoming connections better than the built-in?
  • Does ECS deal with PF and packet scanning and if yes, does it keep a local blacklist?

Background:

I use v 4 of ECS on a few Macs for a while and a couple of other Windows computers run Smartsecurity for a few years without any issues. OSX has default application firewall and using Waterroof I have modified a few rules in the packet firewall (IPFW) in OSX. in 10.7 and 10.8 the IPFW has been superseded by PF firewall.

Thanks.

Edited by polocanada

• 3 months later...

What! ~ Over three months and this was not answered, not even once!

That appears as a disappointment, :( as these are very good questions, all politely asked.

I would have asked them, but polocanada has done a fine job. Thank you! :)

Did not see this one myself.

It may have never received the attention it deserved. Let's see if we can get someone on it, now that it has been bumped to the front of the line.

Thanks for the bump Ugly2.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I am not one of the Mac experts at ESET, but here are the basic features of ESET Cybersecurity Pro for Mac OS X's personal firewall:

• Define personal profiles with different settings
  • Choose the level of firewall protection from three predefined profiles: Public/Home/ Work Zone
  • Allow/Block all incoming/outgoing connections of selected applications, services or port numbers
  • Exclude any IP address from being blocked by firewall

Note that this is for ESET Cybersecurity Pro.  ESET Cybersecurity (non-Pro) does not provide any firewall functionality.

For sales and marketed-related questions, you may wish to contact ESET's sales team directly at +1 (866) 343-3738.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky