live grid pop-up

Hi

Just wondering if there is any way i can stop eset from popping up informing me i am not on live grid.  I work mostly offline - word processing, etc.  When i go online, i automatically do a manual eset update.  I have 1 PC on w-10.  The other on W-7.  Thank you.

You want to keep LiveGrid enabled at all times since its part of Eset ransomware protection.

Also just because your not connected to the Internet via a web browser does not mean that your network connection is not active. It is unless you manually disable it or "pull the Ethernet plug" or disable your Wi-Fi connection. 

Edited by itman

4 hours ago, jems said:

Hi

Just wondering if there is any way i can stop eset from popping up informing me i am not on live grid.  I work mostly offline - word processing, etc.  When i go online, i automatically do a manual eset update.  I have 1 PC on w-10.  The other on W-7.  Thank you.

Hello jems. Good to see you again. I agree with itman about NOT disabling LiveGrid® and I do not believe that's what you are asking. If I am understanding your question correctly, you might wish to take a look further at this KB https://help.eset.com/essp/11.1/en-US/idh_config_environment.html

You'll want to go to User Interface Elements>Statuses>Application Statuses>Edit>General. I think you'll find what you are inquiring about there.

That being said, I too do much work off line and only connect to the web when I choose to. I have learned to ignore the yellow caution indicator because I know I am off line at the time. It's my choice to NOT disable any alerts/indicators/advisories as they tell me ESET is doing its job and is active. So when I do connect to the web, it updates/connects as it should as shows me that it did.

Best Regards.?

Edited by TomFace

Thanks itman & Tom.  Yes, Tom - i agree - i can live with the popup coming up.  I don't understand how i can be "attacked" if i am offline.  Does that mean live grid is not diacbled when i disable.  My impression of my anti virus suite is that it is protecting me in the background.  I can live with having the not connected pop-ups, - just that it seems odd that Live Grid cannot be working when offline, but an attacker may.  contradicts.  Forgive my ignorance.  I like eset.  And i appreciate the input.  Thanks, Jems.

BTWay - on my W-7 machine, Update starts as soon as i go online.  My W.10 machine has to told to download updates when i go online.  Settings on both OS the same.  Is there a reason for this.  thanks.

BTWAY - my eset live geid IS enabled.  It is because i am offline that it says it is not enabled, which i understand.  Just to clarify.

Hello Eset Forum.  I have been using eset for a while now.  i have gone to other AV providers, but have found the eset forum hard to beat.  Just feel like i did not get an answer to above 2 posts.  So switching on 1 of my PCs (on W-10).  Will keep my W-7 on Eset.  BUT!!  i usually come back - again - the forum for an ordinary user like myself USUALLY draws me back.  i still would heartily recommend EIS.  So keep up the good work, Eset.  i will continue to periodically look at the forum.

• Administrators

You indeed got an answer by TomFace. If you don't want to be notified when LiveGrid is not available, do the following:

You'll want to go to User Interface Elements>Statuses>Application Statuses>Edit>General. I think you'll find what you are inquiring about there.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, itman said:

Also just because your not connected to the Internet via a web browser does not mean that your network connection is not active. It is unless you manually disable it or "pull the Ethernet plug" or disable your Wi-Fi connection. 

I think what jems is referring to (not being answered) is what itman posted the other day.

jems responding 7.24.18 11:10PM

"I don't understand how i can be "attacked" if i am offline.  Does that mean live grid is not diacbled when i disable.  My impression of my anti virus suite is that it is protecting me in the background.  I can live with having the not connected pop-ups, - just that it seems odd that Live Grid cannot be working when offline, but an attacker may.  contradicts."

jems, if you are NOT connected to the internet you cannot be attacked by something new from the internet. Not being connected will make LiveGrid® unavailable and you'll get the yellow indicator as we discussed earlier. If you re-read itman's post, it says if you are not using a browser (IE, Firefox...etc), you "could" be still connected to the internet, unless you disable (disconnect) your connection. It's like having the TV on (connected to the internet), but tuned to a nonexistent channel/watching snow (not using a browser) . The TVs still on, but no show is on the TV.

Of course, if you previously picked up some malware while you were online, that would already be in your PC regardless if you are connected or not to the internet presently.

Hopefully I'm correctly explaining itman's post and we're glad you are back.:P

Best regards.:)

Edited by TomFace