Android updates

ugly

No updates for EMS android since dec. 23. Four days without any updates.

What's happening ? Are ESET developers still celebrating Christmas ? 

Or perhaps malware developers have gone into winter holidays ?  :)

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

One of the strangest things about the malicious software ecosystem is that as it has grown from outlaw technologists writing destructive computer viruses into a criminal enterprise stealing money and computing resources, the times at which their activities occur begin to follow their own local business hours. In the case of criminal malware, some small dips are sometimes seen both in creation of new and updated malware and infection rates. My guess here would be that both the criminals and victims are spending less time on their computers and more time doing holiday activities.

ESET's virus lab is staffed around-the-clock, so if there's no update to the Android signatures, it is likely because no new malware has appeared requiring a signature update.

Also, please do keep in mind that the amount of Android-specific malware is a fraction of what occurs on other platforms such as Windows. As such, several days may pass between virus signature database updates, just as they did 15-20 years ago for DOS and Windows antivirus software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you for your answer,Aryeh.

After we used to get 2,3 even 4 updates daily it's hard to ignore such a long break.

I don't see the same behaviour on other mobile security applications that I like to play with.

Hope you are right and "no new malware has appeared requiring a signature update".  :)

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

If you visit the Update Info section of ESET's VirusRadar web site, you will see that signature updates have been going out as normal the last few days, with updates to detect Windows, Java and JavaScript-based malware. The last Android update was virus signature database 9208, on December 23rd, with a pair of signatures added for Android/TrojanSMS.Agent.XB.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi,

I vizit VirusRadar regularly as I like to know what new threats appear.  

Virus lab seems to focus now only on windows with constant signature updates. Luckily , as the java signatures are common for windows, win. mobile and symbian some EMS users do get some updates.

Returning to Android , a lack of updates for one week now for me is unusual and  totally unexplicable. All other vendors I've checked do have up to date signatures so I suspect new threats appeared.

IMHO this is affecting users confidence in EMS and you do not want that.  

VirusLab team seems to be back in business. :) 

Seven new updates in two days ! :o  That is great and makes me feel confident again...

Long breaks are bad for EMS health...

People running EMS need not forget their is Live-grid built into the mobile app as well.

I hope people are all using this. :)

Maybe we need to strengthen its presence in the app.

Maybe remove the advanced settings and place them on the main Antivirus section. Or maybe a Connected to live grid on the main form GUI.

I am also just thinking out loud as this was probably not the cause of lengthy update schedule. :P

• 3 months later...

Now we are celebrating Easter, so no update since 16 apr......

Tomorrow is Saint George...I guess new updates will arrive (maybe) on 24 apr ? 

Edited by ugly

• 3 months later...

Hello,

If you visit the Update Info section of ESET's VirusRadar web site, you will see that signature updates have been going out as normal the last few days, with updates to detect Windows, Java and JavaScript-based malware. The last Android update was virus signature database 9208, on December 23rd, with a pair of signatures added for Android/TrojanSMS.Agent.XB.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

hi

why my signature number be different with up link ?

note : i do update my android.

on my android show me for example 4895 .

please help.

thanks.

I just noticed that I also have VSD version 4883. Strange!

This is neither a global VSD number (they are much higher) nor is it an Android VSD number (they are much lower). :unsure:

post-3952-0-57289100-1407665257_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

• ESET Insiders

It is strange that the VSD number on the virusradar website differs from what I see on the phone 4890. Any reason for this?

Another user with a different version number! :o

It's really strange yes. Now I have VSD 4889.

If we can anything do to help you with solving this problem, e.g. providing some log files then feel free to say what we should do.

• Administrators

To my best knowledge, the discrepancy is caused by the fact that EMS 3 started to use a new kind of engine and modules, hence the signature db number is different. We are aware of this and plan to unify version numbering in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

today my db number is 4922 and different with number on virus radar ?!

Hi,

Yes the one on the virusradar site is 1926.

But Marcos gave us this answer and the reason why they differ...

To my best knowledge, the discrepancy is caused by the fact that EMS 3 started to use a new kind of engine and modules, hence the signature db number is different. We are aware of this and plan to unify version numbering in the near future.
Edited by SweX