How to EIS 11.2.49.0 ?

Hello,

EIS latest version is not notifying me when there is a new windows update, How can I enable this feature?

No EIS database virus notification again, where is now? 

Thanks

Came

Edited by camelia

• Administrators

As for notifications about missing updates, my Windows 10 is currently fully up to date so I can't test it right now. However, I don't think that any changes have been made in this regard that could stop the notifications from working.

Re. notifications about module updates, if you installed v11.2.49 from scratch you need to enable them in the advanced update setup. They are disabled by default.

• ESET Insiders
1 hour ago, camelia said:

Hello,

EIS latest version is not notifying me when there is a new windows update, How can I enable this feature?

No EIS database virus notification again, where is now? 

Thanks

Came

Windows notifications are working for me with this version.

On 7/24/2018 at 2:42 AM, Marcos said:

As for notifications about missing updates, my Windows 10 is currently fully up to date so I can't test it right now. However, I don't think that any changes have been made in this regard that could stop the notifications from working.

Re. notifications about module updates, if you installed v11.2.49 from scratch you need to enable them in the advanced update setup. They are disabled by default.

@Marcos I didn't install v11.2.49 from scratch, update over the top from the past version, this is my current configuration

EIS.jpg.99e23dcef1e3f1cbeb6d7e7b9a2e3ca5.jpg

The notifications about modules updates enable or disable??? Because in this post shows me they way this option should be and the setting are the same as mine

https://forum.eset.com/topic/15706-no-more-notifications-about-updates/?tab=comments#comment-77633

On 7/24/2018 at 3:19 AM, anton83 said:

Windows notifications are working for me with this version.

Can someone please post an screenshot about how is your configuration about windows notifications?

Thanks

Camel

Hello camelia. Take a look at this KB https://help.eset.com/essp/11.1/en-US/idh_config_windows_update.html

I use Win 7 and receive notifications via Windows update and EIS. This is my current setup in EIS. Go to Setup>Advanced setup>Tools>Windows Updates.

784144220_WinUpdate.thumb.jpg.512323f6fc9b93f8da56c32720ddda3f.jpg

itman covered the ESET updates in https://forum.eset.com/topic/15706-no-more-notifications-about-updates/?tab=comments#comment-77633

Best regards.?

Edited by TomFace

Hello,

This is the @itman settings, about getting notifications about successful updates, because I still not see them in the lower corner of my  screen

On 6/6/2018 at 5:52 PM, itman said:

Make sure "Disable notification about successful update" is unchecked as shown in the below screenshot: 

Eset_Update_Notification.thumb.png.5d3656c4d4e218bb5432c0bad15e1704.png

This is my setting: NOW... Find the differences ?

01esetnotifications.thumb.jpg.1b03f6b7fc7cdd0b819a35904d2b38f1.jpg

Since EIS never notified me about KB4345421, I have changed from critical updates to important updates... Are this settings OK for the next patch Tuesday?

02esetnotifications.thumb.jpg.2311f8cf47d699ab68367e7eba42d4a7.jpg

I am so upset and disappointment about this issue that I had to call ESET Mexico support, BUT they are clueless about their own products!! ??

Please help I have had this issue for weeks, and it is driving me crazy

Thank you

Came

Edited by camelia
typo

As far as Win Update notifications in Eset 11.2.49, I also have not been receiving any. I have that setting currently set to "recommended" and did not receive any notification in Eset about the last Win 10 1803 cumulative update which was a recommended one.

On the other hand, Win 10 1803 Win Update feature didn't auto download this latest update or notify of its existence either. So the problem might be in Win 10 1803 itself and possibly other OS versions. Or, with the Microsoft Win Update servers for that matter. It goes without saying that Microsoft has totally screwed up the entire Win Updating processing.

10 minutes ago, itman said:

As far as Win Update notifications in Eset 11.2.49, I also have not been receiving any. I have that setting currently set to "recommended" and did not receive any notification in Eset about the last Win 10 1803 cumulative update which was a recommended one.

On the other hand, Win 10 1803 Win Update feature didn't auto download this latest update or notify of its existence either. So the problem might be in Win 10 1803 itself and possibly other OS versions. Or, with the Microsoft Win Update servers for that matter. It goes without saying that Microsoft has totally screwed up the entire Win Updating processing.

Or maybe it is a EIS bug...

What about EIS virus definition update maybe is another bug? ?

Edited by camelia

14 hours ago, camelia said:

What about EIS virus definition update maybe is another bug?

Are you 100% positive you'e not seeing the update alert appear? By default, this type of alert appears and disappears very quickly.

Edited by itman

I would check duration, transparency and ALL settings in the desk top notifications via advance setup>user interface>alerts and notifications.

https://help.eset.com/essp/11.1/en-US/idh_config_alert.html?zoom_highlightsub=alerts+and+notifications

In addition, the updates should be listed in the logs tools>more tools>log files>events.

Edited by TomFace

8 hours ago, itman said:

Are you 100% positive you'e not seeing the update alert appear? By default, this type of alert appears and disappears very quickly.

Until now I am 100% positive, maybe because I was in another settings menu.. ?

7 hours ago, TomFace said:

I would check duration, transparency and ALL settings in the desk top notifications via advance setup>user interface>alerts and notifications.

https://help.eset.com/essp/11.1/en-US/idh_config_alert.html?zoom_highlightsub=alerts+and+notifications

In addition, the updates should be listed in the logs tools>more tools>log files>events.

Ok here is my settings the article shows, where is the error?

03EIS.jpg.2026469360692bd6f79fed3021b158e4.jpg

Thanks

Came

I never said you had an error. I only thought if the duration was too short or the transparency too dim you may not have seen it (the notification) in time or only as a ghost image. I think your settings should be OK.

Here are mine just for comparison:

1402873752_Updates8.1_18.thumb.jpg.2162a2b537bb7a0ff21c69b3ed11690d.jpg

I have my verbosity set to "informative". https://help.eset.com/eav/11.1/en-US/idh_config_alert.html

Diagnostic – Logs information needed to fine-tune the program and all records above.

Informative – Records informative messages, including successful update messages, plus all records above.

Warnings – Records critical errors and warning messages.

Errors – Errors such as "Error downloading file" and critical errors will be recorded.

Critical – Logs only critical errors (error starting antivirus protection, etc...).

Actually, due to your thread I just realized that I also was not seeing update notifications...with the upgrade to 11.2.49.0 (a clean install) I forgot to re-enable the update notifications (in the "Updates" section under My Profile) as the default is off/notifications disabled (I believe).

So thanks to you!;)

Best regards.

Edited by TomFace

@TomFace I will follow you...  set to "Informative" now. I hope it works,

The first day of this month  I've gotten a notification about module updates, but since then no more ? ?

03EISWeird.jpg.e30d0724ed38c0d87588d19fdda0e553.jpg

Edited by camelia

10 hours ago, camelia said:

@TomFace I will follow you...  set to "Informative" now. I hope it works,

The first day of this month  I've gotten a notification about module updates, but since then no more ? ?

03EISWeird.jpg.e30d0724ed38c0d87588d19fdda0e553.jpg

What I use works for me......I'll keep my fingers crossed....check your log (events) file against your updates list (program "update") to be sure you are up to date (update-wise).

If it were a widespread issue, we've would have seen a flurry of forum activity.

Best regards.

Edited by TomFace

19 hours ago, TomFace said:

What I use works for me......I'll keep my fingers crossed....check your log (events) file against your updates list (program "update") to be sure you are up to date (update-wise).

If it were a widespread issue, we've would have seen a flurry of forum activity.

Best regards.

Are you in windows 7 SP1?, because under Windows 10 nothing is working ?

7 minutes ago, camelia said:

Are you in windows 7 SP1?, because under Windows 10 nothing is working ?

Win 7 SP3....did not do Win X by choice.:P Sorry, can't help you there (with X).

Edited by TomFace

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, camelia said:

I am running Win 10 x(64) 1803 and Eset IS ver. 11.2.49.

To begin with you mention "module updates" and then post a screen shot showing a virus definition update notification alert. Module and virus definition updates are separate activities; see my below posted screen shot.

Eset_Log.thumb.png.9d6da84a0344061378c1e1de547b1571.png

You should be receiving Eset virus signature updates periodically during the day as shown in the screen shot. Eset module updates only occur as needed. I have only received two since July 18th.

First check your Event log  for "Detection Engine" update entries as shown in the above screen shot. If none are shown since Aug. 1, then open the Eset GUI and click on the "Update" tab.  Shown on that screen will be both the date of last successful detection engine update and the date when the last check for same was made.

I can also confirm that there is no issue in ver. 11.2.49 in regards to available Win Update notification.

I verified this by enabling Windows Defender periodic scanning. This from previous experience will always trigger an Eset GUI notification at system boot/restart time if a Windows Defender signature definition update is available via Windows Update. Sure enough, it triggered an Eset notification that a WD signature update was available at today's cold system boot.

BTW - I believe the way Eset checks for Windows Updates is by querying the Windows Catalog web site. I state this because I usually receive Eset's notification of pending Windows Updates much sooner than waiting for Windows Update to inform me that an update is available.

Hello @itman

And sorry for the late reply. ?

Can you see this notification every time EIS updates?

01EsetUp.jpg.a8c7ca36c03c2f7a1d99d46a14fdccd7.jpg

I am able to reproduce the notification because I am working in shadow mode most of the time https://www.shadowdefender.com/

But when exit "Shadow mode" and restart computer and I don't see it

Installed components: Is everything ok? ??

Detection Engine: 17860 (20180810)
Rapid Response module: 12629 (20180810)
Update module: 1014 (20180123)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1541.1 (20180803)
Advanced heuristics module: 1188 (20180422)
Archive support module: 1277 (20180727)
Cleaner module: 1161 (20180723)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1138 (20180625)
Firewall module: 1378 (20180509)
ESET SysInspector module: 1273 (20180523)
Translation support module: 1701 (20180712)
HIPS support module: 1324 (20180712)
Internet protection module: 1334 (20180522)
Web content filter module: 1058 (20170406)
Advanced antispam module: 7768 (20180808)
Database module: 1098 (20180530)
Configuration module (33): 1685.14 (20180801)
LiveGrid communication module: 1047 (20180717)
Specialized cleaner module: 1012 (20160405)
Banking & payment protection module: 1135 (20180625)
Rootkit detection and cleaning module: 1019 (20170825)
Network protection module: 1676 (20180710)
Router vulnerability scanner module: 1051 (20180730)
Script scanner module: 1042 (20180723)
Connected Home Network module: 1020 (20180503)
Cryptographic protocol support module: 1028 (20180626)

Events: Is everything ok? ??

03EsetUp.thumb.jpg.c35e2ef9a553b740f2c40ebbd4be9445.jpg

On 8/5/2018 at 1:22 PM, itman said:

I can also confirm that there is no issue in ver. 11.2.49 in regards to available Win Update notification.

I verified this by enabling Windows Defender periodic scanning. This from previous experience will always trigger an Eset GUI notification at system boot/restart time if a Windows Defender signature definition update is available via Windows Update. Sure enough, it triggered an Eset notification that a WD signature update was available at today's cold system boot.

BTW - I believe the way Eset checks for Windows Updates is by querying the Windows Catalog web site. I state this because I usually receive Eset's notification of pending Windows Updates much sooner than waiting for Windows Update to inform me that an update is available.

Lucky you but not my case ?

Best Regards, 

Came

Edited by camelia
typo

• Administrators

You've mentioned that you have Shadow Defender installed. Did you add ESET folders to the exclusion list?

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security"
"C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security"
"C:\Users\%user%\Application Data\ESET\ESET Security"
"C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\ESET\ESET Security"
"C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\ESET\ESET Security"

3 hours ago, camelia said:

Can you see this notification every time EIS updates?

Yes.

3 hours ago, camelia said:

I am able to reproduce the notification because I am working in shadow mode most of the time https://www.shadowdefender.com/

But when exit "Shadow mode" and restart computer and I don't see it

Well, that is weird. If anything, I would expect to see the issue with shadow mode enabled.

Try @Marcos noted exclusions, but I have my doubts if this will eliminate the problem. Might be certain elements of Eset's GUI do not work properly with Shadow Defender installed.

Hello,

I have to wait for Microsoft August 2018 Patch Tuesday and this time EIS notified me about new updates, I only have to wait more time for possible newer updates later this month to confirm IF EIS under Windows 10 latest build and fully patched is notifying without any issue.

06EsetUp.jpg.75506e539b4a3e53615f184c454ef5bb.jpg

On 8/10/2018 at 11:47 AM, itman said:

Yes.

Well, that is weird. If anything, I would expect to see the issue with shadow mode enabled.

Try @Marcos noted exclusions, but I have my doubts if this will eliminate the problem. Might be certain elements of Eset's GUI do not work properly with Shadow Defender installed.

Tried @Marcos suggestion just for out of curiosity and I found out EIS is not updating when the computer is idle (Computer is on, but I wasn't doing anything with it) I have to update it manually (Clicking on "Check for updates" )

Soooooooooooooo my problem is EIS does not update when IDLE, EIS updates after a restart or when I turn on my computer!  Do I have to open other New Topic about this issue?

Only after reboot or when I turn on my PC,  EIS updates... weird is not? ?

Came

1 hour ago, camelia said:

Tried @Marcos suggestion just for out of curiosity and I found out EIS is not updating when the computer is idle (Computer is on, but I wasn't doing anything with it) I have to update it manually (Clicking on "Check for updates" )

Soooooooooooooo my problem is EIS does not update when IDLE, EIS updates after a restart or when I turn on my computer!  Do I have to open other New Topic about this issue?

As long as the PC is powered up and not in sleep mode, Eset should update in varying intervals; anywhere from 1 - 5 hours.

You might want to open a support ticket with your local in country Eset support source.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, camelia said:

Sooooooooooooo my problem is EIS does not update when IDLE, EIS updates after a restart or when I turn on my computer!  Do I have to open other New Topic about this issue?

Only after reboot or when I turn on my PC,  EIS updates... weird is not? ?

Came

The easiest way to determine when Eset updates and when it tries , at least for me, is shown below. It's found by clicking "update" from the home screen

673629196_Updates1.png.c22cc5ef2003052db78136da169adc2d.png

Updates can also be checked in the log files under "Events"

346768815_UpdateLog1.png.1977e2e4bf429fc0d4ac4f559f425057.png

Do you by any chance run full screen programs? I ask because I don't think Eset will notify you on full screen.

977362198_Updates2.png.a6270823f46a16eaa26709d4f3a8e488.png

If you've already been through all this please ignore. Just a guess on my part.

Based  on what @camelia has posted recently, it appears to me that something is "borked" with her Eset default periodic scheduled update task highlighted in the below screen shot. This task is supposed to run every 60 minutes to check for Eset updates.

Note that she is receiving Eset updates at boot time. This activity is controlled by a different default Eset scheduled update task also shown in the screen shot named "Automatic update after user logon."

Eset_Update.thumb.png.19841f4700da54a65e10f3c03c94c46e.png 

@camelia what you can do to attempt to fix this is to select the above highlighted schedule update task and then click on the "Default" tab. I believe that will set the selected task back to default values. Note I haven't ever used this option so can't vouch for what it does or its effectiveness.

Another possibility is some other software that is installed; e.g. Shadow Defender, is preventing the periodic Eset scheduled update task from executing properly.

Edited by itman