System Thread Exception not handled (edevmon.sys) Windows 10 (1803)

I just activated the VM-modus für Microsoft Edge. Unfortunately Windows diden't start any more after this. First message: "System Thread Exception not Handled by edevmon.sys". After an automatic new start ("sampling more information about the problem") I got the message Windows should be repaired, error code 0xc00000f and several options like "Try again", "start BIOS setup", F8 for repair (nothing happens choosing this option).

Please note, the error messages may be variant from the original english text, I had to translate them from my german Windows version!

The former threads to this topic with the hint to install an alternative driver version can't be used, because Windows don't start....

• Administrators

This would happen if edevmon.sys is removed from the disk without being properly uninstalled from the registry. It is not clear and doesn't make sense to me why enabling WD Application Guard for Edge would cause such crash.

If you boot from a live cd/usb medium, does edevmon.sys exist in c:\windows\system32\drivers ?

This I was willing to try but yesterday I haven't any time. I will boot with Linux and look for it.

It doesen't make sense, but I diden't do anything else but activating Appl. Guard for Edge....therefore it needed a restart and the adventure starts. I will post my results as soon as possible. Thanks for your first hints.

If I don't find it: where can I get this file and it is possible just to copy it back to it's place?

Edited by Not a looser

On 7/22/2018 at 9:51 PM, Marcos said:

This would happen if edevmon.sys is removed from the disk without being properly uninstalled from the registry. It is not clear and doesn't make sense to me why enabling WD Application Guard for Edge would cause such crash.

If you boot from a live cd/usb medium, does edevmon.sys exist in c:\windows\system32\drivers ?

Just I'd looked for: it's still exists !

How I should proceed?

• Administrators

I'd suggest supplying a complete memory dump from a crash to customer care so that the case is properly tracked and analyzed by developers.

After a time of busy work with no time at home I could start the repair now. My idea to rename the old driver and copy the fixed one to the system32/drivers/ failed because of the hibernation file. My Linux mounted the boot device therefore only in the "read only" mode. The necessary Windows reboot to shut down the hibernation mode failed of course.

But sometimes a wonder occurs: I've tried several times the F8-boot-mode to start Windows in the safe mode, but no options were shown. Today I tried again and it worked by surprise! So I could rename and copy the "new" driver. After this windows booted properly, all works normal. NOD32 was oK, offers the update to 11.2.49. Up to now it's resolved.

I'm sorry not to be able to send the dump file, but the Linux-ro-mode prohibited also to copy this file.

I still hope this kind of driver version is still in general part of the update files für Windows 10 to provide no errors like this any more.

Thanks for your hints, I still hope using Eset again another 8 years without any trouble.