Allow Port 8770 on macOS

mfichera

Mac users have reported seeing a Firewall Notification regarding port 8770. We currently have a firewall rule allowing traffic on that port in all our Firewall Profiles, so I'm not sure why eset is prompting the user regarding this port. I'll attach screenshots of my Firewall Rule in case it is misconfigured.

From ERA

image.thumb.png.eabe7b1558ba738f9f88a4390ac66a44.png

image.png.712b3602b97d56bd5805cfdad2ccb6ec.png

image.png.90434d8546080560ad8126938e0ccfbb.png

image.png.d945be6d7dd0a2f2683b0498621714fe.png

• ESET Moderators

Hello @mfichera,

I guess, that the issue is that you have the port 8770 specified both for local and remote sides, those are evaluated with AND logical operator.

So you need to specify it only for one of the sides depending if you want to enable the incoming or outgoing connections to the port.

Regards, P.R.

Interesting, I'll have to modify the rule and then update the post. This also means I've probably set up all my firewall rules incorrectly...…..

@Peter Randziak Let me ask a question. If I create a firewall rule to allow a connection. say NFS or port 8770, should I create both a local rule and a remote rule?

Are the local rules for incoming connections and the remote rules for outgoing connections?

• Administrators

What should be that port for? Didn't find it listed at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944.

If your Mac connects to another machine, don't specify the local port. If it's your machine that provides a specific service and other machines connect to it, specify the port as local and leave the remote port blank.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, Marcos said:

What should be that port for? Didn't find it listed at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202944.

If your Mac connects to another machine, don't specify the local port. If it's your machine that provides a specific service and other machines connect to it, specify the port as local and leave the remote port blank.

TCP 8770 is used by Bonjour, Airdrop and Photos for transferring digital images....and every off site Mac we have receives a popup asking us to allow port 8770.

Edited by mfichera
clarification