Eset 7 is slow.

doctorx

as i stated in another thread, eset 7 is the slowest of the bunch.  I run win8.1 with 16G ram and 24 TB of disk with ssd as boot volume.  I get studdering.  I have tried to disable as much as I can.  It seems to want to scan everything even with the exclusions list active.  I tend to enable only certain high risk extension.  I am really bummed because this is still my favorite av but have not been happy with performance.

I have reinstalled it and await your help on it.

Going to 4 will have bugs and more problems. It will also leave you less protected and unsecure.

I would not sacrifice protection for speed.

You said it seems to want to scan everything regardless of exclusion list.

Which exclusion list are you referring to ? Did you know there are more then 1 exclusion list for different types of protection ?

Maybe you added your programs to the wrong list.

If you get stuttering, does it stop if you disable HIPS or Real-time protection ?

A Sysinspector log would be valuable in viewing what other programs or drivers may cause slowness or unexpected results.

Thanks for posting doctor.

doctorx,

Please keep in mind the holidays, i know a few ESET employees that are out till January. Some may be unavailable until Thursday morning.

The moderators will most likely still be checking here every few hours, but some may not have full access to all resources.

Please be patient with this issue and we should be able to get you some assistance.

doctorx,

Please keep in mind the holidays, i know a few ESET employees that are out till January. Some may be unavailable until Thursday morning.

The moderators will most likely still be checking here every few hours, but some may not have full access to all resources.

Please be patient with this issue and we should be able to get you some assistance.

no worry's... I dont plan on being on the computer much the next few days anyways.  I do have hips enabled... I have turned it off, but it wants to reboot which i can do in about an hour.  Can I email you my xml config? or PM it?

• Administrators

First of all, please narrow it down to a particular protection module by disabling each, one at a time:

- real-time file system protection

- HIPS (a restart will be required)

- Protocol filtering (in advanced setup)

Do you use default settings? When exactly do you observe slowdown? (when playing games, browsing the web, running a specific application, etc.)

i have used the default in the past.. but i disable most of it now.  I see it browsing the web, and especially games.  just disabled hips... and rebooting.. i will report back.

well. with hips off, seems like the slowness is gone.  I do not see the studdering in games... fyi, the game that i was testing was batman: arkham city.  right now... nothing is scheduled and jpg are excluded.  and it is scanning my jpgs. I am getting this from the statistics page under scanned object. I have the scan all files disabled under threatsense on every place i see... and it is still doing it.

Edited by doctorx

i think i found the exclusion... apparently i misunderstood what the profiles meant.  I still had those checked for all files.  I set them how i wanted and now it took.. so that problem is solved now.  My question, what is wrong with hips now?

• Administrators

If disabling HIPS helps, do the following:

- clear the HIPS log

- enable logging of all blocked operations in the advanced HIPS setup

- reproduce the problem

- disable logging

- post your HIPS log records as well as information about your OS and installed modules here.