False Positive of MVPS hosts file

Super_Spartan
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

yes! I understand false positives in any AV but a hosts file as a false positive?? this is BS! and it didn't even pop up anything, it simply removed the file so I was running with no hosts file for days until I noticed that I am getting ads in IE which I rarely use since Pale Moon is my main browser then I checked the hosts file3 and it wasn't there and so was the entire MVPS hosts file folder

add to that the slow and buddy NOD32 v7,. and you get an excellent crappy AV

I think they are going to far, not thinking about what problems it can cause, when they widespread, and just makes a lot of false detections.

I'm considering changing to avast.

What proof do you have ESET did this.

Provide logs please, instead of slander.

Attach your scan logs with ESET labeling it as a threat and what flavor and name it was given as a virus by ESET.

It will also say " Cleaned by deleting " Or cleaned on reboot. It will have date and time and dont forget you can change the level of cleaning eset uses.

It would be your overlooking if you decided not to change the clean level from the default set.

Malware can infect the hosts file.

How do you know Malware did not attack it and change it, then ESET caught it and removed.

The host file isnt a simple text message.

Avast is horrible jessy, good luck. ;)

Edited by Arakasi

• Administrators

A lot of false detection? Definitely not with ESET which is known for extremely low number of false positives. Of course, hosts file can be detected, too, if it contains redirections known to be added by malware.

I've tried to download the file from the link above but my ESS didn't detect anything.

ESET doesn't remove a file without popping up an alert and logging the detection as well as the action taken on the file. I assume it must have been something else that removed the file.

happened again with a new Win 8.1 Pro installation

I copied that hosts file to the System32\drivers\etc

then after a while, I noticed that the file disappeared from that folder and I have no hosts file!!!!

Just formatted another time and Installed Windows 7 Pro x64

I copied the hosts file of MVPS before hand then created an image of my disk using Macrium Reflect

As soon as I installed NOD32....the hosts file was deleted!!!! WTF! MVPS has been out there for many years and known to be a legitamate / good hosts file for extra protection from ads / malware sites:

post-1272-0-96753900-1388004371_thumb.png

post-1272-0-28909400-1388004384_thumb.png

Edited by Tweak Arena

• Administrators
  • Solution

1, you used an old virus signature database. This sort of FP was fixed on Oct 28.

2, it was a modified hosts file which was detected at that time. The original hosts file from winhelp2002.mvps.org was not detected.