ESS gui is blank

Running 7.0.302.26 on a Windows 8 netbook.  Got up this morning, powered up the netbook.  The systray icon is showing a green letter 'e' in a green bordered white square instead of the usual letter 'i' in a green square.  Right clicking the icon gets the usual items, but when I attempt to open the gui, all I get is a blank window.  I tried restarting, and this did not solve the problem.  Help!  

This time I 'restarted' instead of powering down and powering up, and that appears to have fixed it.  When the problem was happening, rt clicking the systray icon actually did not show the usual items, it showed 'enable protection', which I clicked on and nothing happened.  The bottom  items in the menu did show (can't remember if 'activate your product' was there or not, though).  The 'about' function showed properly and clicking the help button brought up the help window properly.

Anyway, it looks like things are functioning correctly again, but I will run a smart scan anyway. I should have checked Windows security to see if it showed ESS was working, but task manager did show that the service was running.  

I'm not going to mark this as 'solved' because I would like to see what the experts say a person should do in this case if a computer restart doesn't happen to work for someone.

Edited by Near_Far

Hi Near_Far,

I have seen this happen on many occasions.

The two most prominent are ...

configuration problems, and my resolution was to uninstall and reinstall cleanly using safemode and ESET uninstaller

computer had pre-existing malware, and my resolution was to clean the infected computer first and then reinstall, as i thought the malware was specifically targetting windows security service or ESET itself.

uinstalling and reinstalling gave the same results. Not till i cleaned the PC manually was i able to install and have 0 issues.

Sorry for your troubles, let us know was a full Smart Scan says on your computer. :)

Just ran a Smart Scan, came up clean.  HitMan Pro found one tracking cookie and the same dds file (from some Malwarebytes troubleshooting I did a while ago) that it's been complaining about from the get-go.  Things look fine.  I did check event viewer and it mentions the gui error regarding ESS.  

I had some issues last week with Windows updates getting stuck and I had to roll back to a previous restore point.  I've been reinstalling those updates one at a time.  Maybe ESS's gui didn't like the most recent one.  Anyway, it looks allright now.  Maybe all it needed was 'restart' rather than shut down/power up.  I've found that with this Windows 8 laptop, there is a difference.