USB freezes on ESET NOD32 11 / Windows 10 1803

carmik

System: windows 10 home 64bit (1803)

NOD32 Antivirus 11.1.54.0

Just switched to NOD32 after a long time of using Kaspersky, Webroot, Norton Security. Upon connecting a specially formatted USB stick (Easy2boot) a dialog popped up asking whether to clean it or not, which immediately afterwards became unresponsive.

System freeze does not happen on "normal sticks". How can I avoid this freezing?

• Administrators

Please post a screen shot of the dialog that popped up. Also provide step-by-step instructions how you created the usb stick so that we could try to reproduce it.

At the moment I am in the midst of an operation that should not be interrupted, so I'll refrain from trying to connect this usb again. Will try to post a screenshot later on. In any case, the dialog box that popped up was the usual scan/do not scan this usb stick. The rest of the system remained operational, however the ESET gui froze and had to end. I restarted it from programs and operated just fine afterwards.

As for the procedure: grab the easy2boot installer from hxxp://files.easy2boot.com/200003255-d4473d53c9/Easy2Boot_v1.98.exe

Having installed an empty stick on a system, run this installer and select "Make E2B drive". This makes some special repartitioning on the stick. For instructions see hxxp://www.easy2boot.com/download/

I'm using this as a general rescue boot usb stick, having loaded macrium reflect, systemrescuecd, acronis true image, seagate disc wizard, memtest86+ etc. Obviously the procedure you are going to use will create a stick without any boot images, but I believe you might be able to reproduce the issue.

I tried and failed to reproduce this issue. This stick contains two partitions, so nod32 popped up two dialogs. No freezes this time.

Please consider this issue solved.