Viruses not detected when they arrive in Outlook 2016

Hi!

I have a hosted Exchange 2013 e-mail account at my provider and I use Microsoft Outlook 2016 to access it on my PC.

I am currently evaluating ESET Internet Security 11 because I like its extensive Outlook support but I have a problem: When I send test viruses (e.g. EICAR in RAR-archive) to my e-mail address ESET does not detect the virus e-mail immediately when they arrive in Outlook 2016. Even if I click on the email the virus is still not detected although all archive scan options etc. are turned on.

It looks like I need to restart Outlook to make ESET then detect the test virus and move it to the infected items folder. Is this behavior expected?

BTW, I use Kaspersky at work and it detects viruses immediately when they arrive in Outlook, I don't even have to open the email. So I expected ESET to be able to do this too.

Any help is welcome and thanks in advance.

Anguel

• Administrators

Honestly, this is the first time I hear about an issue like this. With MS Outlook integration enabled, all received, sent and read emails should be scanned for malware . I'd suggest checking the list of plug-ins that are loaded in Outlook and making sure that your previous Av is not there. If that's not the case, contact Customer care that should provide you with a logging version of the plug-in that should help pinpoint the issue. Do you receive email via MAPI from an Exchange email server?

Thank you for the reply. Today I tested again without changing anything and suddenly everything works fine! I can't tell if the problem was caused by some Outlook update (one was installed yesterday) or something different, I had also restarted the PC yesterday but this did not help.

Now everything is as expected and I really like ESET so far.

Thank you once again,

Anguel

15 hours ago, Anguel said:

I am currently evaluating ESET Internet Security 11 because I like its extensive Outlook support but I have a problem: When I send test viruses (e.g. EICAR in RAR-archive) to my e-mail address ESET does not detect the virus e-mail immediately when they arrive in Outlook 2016.

The first thing to verify is if Eset web filtering is actually scanning incoming e-mail. The easiest way to do so is to left click on the Eset GUI on the desktop lower taskbar and select "Protection statistics" after receiving new Outlook e-mail.  Select "E-mail client protection." The Object count shown should be a non-zero value or increase in value over what it was previously.

9 minutes ago, itman said:

The first thing to verify is if Eset web filtering is actually scanning incoming e-mail.

Thanks a lot, now it is non-zero and e-mails are properly scanned on arrival. I will check this if the problem occurs again.