Firewall questions

• ESET Insiders

I would like to know how everyone else is using the firewall. I have been installing in learning mode and then switching to interactive mode at the end of learning mode. It has been many years since I have tried automatic mode and at that time I found it to block too many things. How is it with version 7? I realize I can test it myself but I would like a bigger sample of information from others. Thanks.

I can only speak for myself, I use automatic mode because I like the program to do the thinking for me (I am retired). That being said, I do not do a lot of crazy things, or add a lot of new programs.

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3190&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1387548758474

It works for me. B)

• ESET Insiders

Thanks for the link. I iwll likely give it a try in automatic mode as the interactive is a bit tedious. It is especially painful in the middle of a full screen 3D app.

Since I don't download a lot of software anymore these days, right after I installed V7 I started all programs I wanted to have internet access and clicked allow so a permanent rule would be created when I saw the firewall popup.

And when I was done with that it's just 10-15 programs or so, I put the firewall into policy based-mode so every connection attempt will be blocked expect for the programs that have a rule for them. It's a mode I really like it works great for the way I use my PC.

Hello everybody.

I have recently purchased eset NOD 32 anti virus 5 and I plan on purchasing eset NOD Smart Security 5 for a Toshiba l700-T33B in Mainland China.  Can anybody tell me if the eset NOD anti-virus 5 program that I have is the same thing that is already included in the Smart Security 5 software? 

Also, if I purchase the eset NOD Smart Security 5, will eset automatically upgrade that to version 7 for free? 

What about the eset NOD 5 antivirus program I have just bought?  Will eset also upgrade that to version 6.1 for free

Thanks.

Edited by Andrew Scott Chichura

Good day Andrew

Know that your purchasing a license, not software.

The license username and password, or key can be used accross any version.

Your nod32 key will work on version 5 and 7

Your smart security key will work on version 5 or 7

You can obtain any version from ESET here :

How do I download and install older versions of ESET products ...

Since I don't download a lot of software anymore these days, right after I installed V7 I started all programs I wanted to have internet access and clicked allow so a permanent rule would be created when I saw the firewall popup.

And when I was done with that it's just 10-15 programs or so, I put the firewall into policy based-mode so every connection attempt will be blocked expect for the programs that have a rule for them. It's a mode I really like it works great for the way I use my PC.

Swex, I have never set up (firewall) in interactive mode, but then again I do not do much downloading or loading of new programs. Is there anything for me to gain by switching to interactive mode to set up rules (for a short time), then going back to automatic mode? Having not ever done that, am I at any greater risk just using automatic? :unsure:

I figured this post was way to confusing so I decided to delete all of it. I might re write it differently later. Sorry.

Edited by SweX

Thanks SweX-sometimes I think TOO MUCH! :wacko: My computer life is rather boring. :mellow:

No you don't think too much, don't say that :)

The way I see it, if it is boring or at least feels like it's boring then you got a well working setup, and a well working computer that doesn't need maintenance all the time.  ;)

Edited by SweX