Stopping pointless error message?

Hey guys, I'm evaluating ESET Endpoint with ERA.

First impressions of the client are good but there are a few little things that are nice to sort out for our end users.

First one is simply how do I stop it coming up with (to me) pointless messages like "Server not found" when I logon to a laptop that isn't connected to the LAN or to the Internet?

I'd have thought it's kind of obvious that if the machine isn't on a network it isn't going to be able to get updates so to us we won't need to see that pop up :)

Hi MusicWallaby, if I can add my two cents, it's an error by design. The product will need to be connected to an update source to get its updates, as it's the updates that ultimately define how secure the software is. 

Within the settings is an option to either connect it to a mirror/proxy combination that can distribute the updates on a closed network.

The preferred way is to download the latest definitions, put them on a usb device, and then tell a mirror/proxy computer to look for updates that are on a USB, and then distribute them among the closed network.

I'm sure there is a way within the settings to not alert you to this, but it's critical that your product gets updates.

6 minutes ago, johnnybon said:

Hi MusicWallaby, if I can add my two cents, it's an error by design. The product will need to be connected to an update source to get its updates, as it's the updates that ultimately define how secure the software is. 

Within the settings is an option to either connect it to a mirror/proxy combination that can distribute the updates on a closed network.

The preferred way is to download the latest definitions, put them on a usb device, and then tell a mirror/proxy computer to look for updates that are on a USB, and then distribute them among the closed network.

I'm sure there is a way within the settings to not alert you to this, but it's critical that your product gets updates.

Thanks mate and yes, of course, fully understand that, but that's not really the situation here.

If I take a laptop home, switch it on, but don't connect it to my home Wi-Fi it feels kind of pointless getting told "Couldn't contact the update server".

I'm trying to avoid hundreds of tickets from confused staff when it's pretty obvious that if you're not connected to a network you won't get updates on your antivirus :)

It's just normal coming and going with intermittent network/internet connectivity like people do with laptops these days.

Edited by MusicWallaby

2 minutes ago, MusicWallaby said:

Thanks mate and yes, of course, fully understand that, but that's not really the situation here.

If I take a laptop home, switch it on, but don't connect it to my home Wi-Fi it feels kind of pointless getting told "Couldn't contact the update server".

I'm trying to avoid hundreds of tickets from confused staff when it's pretty obvious that if you're not connected to a network you won't get updates on your antivirus :)

It's just normal coming and going with intermittent network/internet connectivity like people do with laptops these days.

Haha we did exactly the same.

To resolve it, we basically set ESET into silent mode on endpoints, and that it doesn't pop up on the users screen so that it only alerts us if anything critical happens. Then within the Remote policies on Remote Admin, we set it to not warn us about things such as intermittent connections, or that Windows Defender was reporting it as not working when it was, that Windows wasn't up to date yet etc.

Much easier and cleaner for us, and also means you can do scans in the background with minimal bother to the user.

21 minutes ago, johnnybon said:

Haha we did exactly the same.

To resolve it, we basically set ESET into silent mode on endpoints, and that it doesn't pop up on the users screen so that it only alerts us if anything critical happens. Then within the Remote policies on Remote Admin, we set it to not warn us about things such as intermittent connections, or that Windows Defender was reporting it as not working when it was, that Windows wasn't up to date yet etc.

Much easier and cleaner for us, and also means you can do scans in the background with minimal bother to the user.

Could I be lazy and ask which specific setting that is in the client?  Lots of options..!

4 minutes ago, MusicWallaby said:

Could I be lazy and ask which specific setting that is in the client?  Lots of options..!

Unfortunately I'm not at a computer with access to the Remote Administrator at the moment, but I suggest installing that and then releasing policies to your clients. There is a built in policy for silent install/running I believe.

• Administrators

Let me understand your use case, when you come home you will never want to connect your notebook to the Internet?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Let me understand your use case, when you come home you will never want to connect your notebook to the Internet?

Hi Marcos, thank you, and no, but if I switch a computer on and simply want to use it without an internet or network connection, I don't want to be hit with "Server not found" messages when ESET tries to update.

We have hundreds of laptops and our users have varying degrees of IT literacy and this kind of message is a bit of a false alarm if the only issue is that someone isn't connected to the internet.

Just normal laptop use, online, offline, random hotel wi-fi etc.

I've never used or seen an antivirus that pops up a warning it can't update when it isn't connected to a network :)

• ESET Insiders

Hi

I agree with @MusicWallaby

Like when I sm going to a meeting at a customers site, I am not necessarily connected to wifi, as I just use it to take notes. In cases like this, it does not make sense to show a message that it can't connect to the server. 

Maybe it can be adjusted to just show this message when connected to wifi or lan. 

• 1 month later...

I agree with this. Our techs keep getting "During execution of Update on the computer COMPUTER-NAME, the following event occurred: Server not found." when their computers wake up from sleep and actually have access to a network. I would like a way to choose which notifications get sent rather that just choosing "Minimum verbosity for notifications"