Eset causing Number Keys on keyboard to type wrong numbers

Since yesterday, when I am in ESET, and only when I am in ESET, the number keys on both my laptop keyboard and also on the connected separate keyboard, malfunction such that the number shown on the monitor/screen does not correspond with the number-key I have pressed.  This applies to both the number-keys along the tops of the keyboards as well as the number keys on the 10-key section on the right-hand side of the keyboards.  It is somewhat random, but sometimes it just repeats the last number input from two to several times - and again, this occurs no matter what number-key I am pressing. Sometimes, the typing of a number-key produces a decimal point, although I have not touched that key at all.

For instance, if I press the keys 0123456789, it will type something random like 11185.555

When I was trying to input my credit card number, I tried typing in a bunch of numbers and then cut/pasting them around to get the right number, and sometimes, it would paste the numbers, and then when I tried hitting the back arrow key to get to a place to paste, hitting the back arrow key produced numbers!  Randomly!  

I went to my START >CONTROL PANEL >DEVICE MANAGER (etc.) to check on the keyboards, and that said the keyboards were working properly.

And again, it is only when I am in ESET that this is occurring.  When I exit ESET, the keyboards type numbers properly.

PLEASE HELP SOON!  I need to pay bills online!

• Administrators

Do you use the latest EIS v11.1.54? Would using the numeric keys above letter keys work as a workaround in the mean time ?

I assume this issue occurs when accessing your bank site using Eset's Banking and Payment Protection feature?

I just accessed my bank web site using same via IE11 w/o any like issue. Perhaps this is a FireFox or Chrome issue? Try accessing your banking web site using IE11 via Eset's BP&P and see if that works.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also noticed this issue.

It occurs in Internet Explorer 11, Chrome and Firefox.

It occurs whether I use the numeric keypad or the keys above the qwerty keys.

I disabled the Payment & Banking Protection, but it re-enabled itself the next day!!

The errant keystrokes occur in all three cells; Access ID, Password and Security Token

This occurs with both Bendigo Bank (with Security Token) and Commonwealth Bank (without Security Token)

Edited by Rod_Grant
added banks used

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Rod_Grant said:

I have also noticed this issue.

It occurs in Internet Explorer 11, Chrome and Firefox.

What version of ESET do you use? What operating system?

• Administrators

Please provide me with logs gathered by ESET Log Collector. Also report the issue to your local customer care since this forum is not meant to be a support channel that would allow for tracking particular cases.

Hi please find the log file I have used numeric keypad and the normal digit in the laptop several times typing in the normal digit key the right digits enterd but after i have used the numeric keypad it is wrong digits from all digit key.

I post this issue to my local support also

eis_logs.zip

It might also be helpful if people start posting the type of keyboard they are using:

1. Manufacturer

2. Type of connection; PS/2 or USB

3. Type of driver being used. Windows default keyboard driver or manufacturer provided driver.

-EDIT-

4. Are you using any other security software that has anti-keylogger capability, e.g. Trusteer Rapport, or keystroke scambling capability, e.g. KeyScrambler?

This might help Eset narrow down the source of the problem. I suspect this problem might be related to a specific subset of keyboard devices.

Edited by itman

18 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please provide me with logs gathered by ESET Log Collector. Also report the issue to your local customer care since this forum is not meant to be a support channel that would allow for tracking particular cases.

Marcos, I can't find a file called Eset Log Collector - where should it be located?

As far as key boards, I have tried two;

1/ Microsoft Wireless Multimedia 1.1

2/ Dell USB (the model number might be DP/N 0M98M2)

7 hours ago, Rod_Grant said:

Marcos, I can't find a file called Eset Log Collector - where should it be located?

As far as key boards, I have tried two;

1/ Microsoft Wireless Multimedia 1.1

2/ Dell USB (the model number might be DP/N 0M98M2)

Hello Rod. See https://support.eset.com/kb3466/ as per Marcos's instructions, then send him the ELC logs via PM (Private Message...you can do so by hovering over his name and then select "message"). Be sure to open a case with your local customer care.

Edited by TomFace

Hi, I hope this log are useful  running with admin rights, I made test six time when I start the test using only the normal built in number key on the keyboard all times the right digit occur next test with the built in numeric keypad first time the right digit occur after this time every time wrong digit was printed AND wrong digits from all digit key on my laptop

I´m using a laptop ACER

This issue occur when I have upgrade ESET software to 11.1.54.0

Sorry the logg fie are to bigg 42,2MB!!

Best regards

Hi, I hope this log are useful  running with admin rights, I made test six time when I start the test using only the normal built in number key on the keyboard all times the right digit occur next test with the built in numeric keypad first time the right digit occur after this time every time wrong digit was printed AND wrong digits from all digit key on my laptop

I´m using a laptop ACER

Best regards

Another thing that should be checked with people having this problem is via Windows device manager, verify that Eset's keyboard driver is properly installed:

Eset_Keyboard_Driver.thumb.png.e943f293dbad3117e1adb5906b018878.png

Edited by itman

3 hours ago, Borgen said:

I´m using a laptop ACER

Best regards

You can upload them to a cloud service (like Microsoft's One Drive) and send Marcos the link.

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators

Did you restart the computer after upgrade to v11.1? I mean a true restart (e.g. by clicking "Restart computer" in ESET's gui), not a hybrid one via the Start menu. Try restarting the computer via "shutdown -r -t0" and let us know if the issue goes away. Does uninstalling v11.1 and installing it from scratch resolve the issue?

Hi Thanks for the input the restart from shut down and start after this, ESET inform to restart the computer and I did that and this restart solved this issue.

Sorry for taking your time.

Really thanks for all effort from the forum.

"Are you running Windows 10" and "Is Fast Boot on?" should be way higher up the list of questions. Turning FB off has sorted a wave of issues in my shop.

5 hours ago, johnnybon said:

Turning FB off has sorted a wave of issues in my shop.

Same here.

On my device the problems were most pronounced after a Win 10 cumulative update. It appears that it internally messes up Win power settings. In one instance I was ready to start tearing down the PC for repair. The device would not power up regardless of what I tried. Never had anything likewise happen in all my PC days. Unplugging the power cord from the power supply and plugging it back in final did the trick.