Sudden BSOD while Browsing

plenum
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hello,

I recently made the swap to NOD32 and everything seemed alright until recently.  In my 5 days of use (which included "heavy" applications, light browsing, varied usage) things have been okay for the most part.  Just now however, I had a BSOD hit me out of nowhere and I believe NOD32 is linked.

Circumstances of the Situation:

• Did a regular boot into Windows (nothing special).
  • Started browsing on Firefox (had 2 tabs open which were a little heavy on flash usage).
  • While scrolling through a tab, entire system froze (visually) then BSOD'd.
  • Nothing else was running in the background besides Firefox, basic drivers, NOD32.
  • I have had no major program changes besides installing NOD32.

I'm baffled as to how this happened.  I haven't had a BSOD in about 4 years (same computer) and have carefully monitored my system programs/stability.  If you're curious, I did a proper clean-up with my old Antivirus (Avast) and reviewed troubleshooting steps for a BSOD (on your support site).

What I currently have is the minidump file and full memory dump.  As it's rather large, is there a way I can safely submit this for review?  I can also provide a sysInspector log for a detailed list of my specs.  Here's a brief rundown for the curious:

Specs Overview:

• Windows 7 x64 SP1 (latest updates)
  • Maintaining a stable set of drivers (audio, visual, ethernet)
  • FireFox v26 was used (Extensions: AdblockPlus, NoScript, Web of Trust)
  • Latest version of Flash installed
  • Latest version of NOD32 installed

Right now trying to log another occurence is highly undesirable (via NOD32's own reports).  It's been bad timing and a really bad initial experience with NOD32.  I have no idea what triggered this and whether it can happen again during important business.

Have there been any similar reports lately or any news of updated modules?  I'd hate to feel isolated and cut-off for a product I just bought.

Edited by plenum

Thanks Arakasi, I managed to upload my file but no word yet.  Hopefully something interesting will surface--I'll keep this post updated with any developments.

If anyone else has something to add or had a similar experience, feel free to jump in!

Plenum, BSOD's are 9/10 times caused by hardware. The other 1/10 may be from malware.

Drivers are usually the cause of the hardware failure. ESET Nod32 might of had a driver conflict causing hardware to lock up and get confused about how to handle itself. Marcos will see this in the dump files.

However, 4 years running is a long time without a single BSOD. It could indicate hardware end of life or failure as well.

I would be watching closely, a hard drive of 4 years. Their lifespans are usually somewhere between 2-6 years on average based on usage.

Some are bad from the factory and fail within months. Memory might be the second cause.

Have you ran Seatools or WD lifegaurd with Short DST or Generic read tests ? You can also try HDTune for surface scans only, but the SMART reporting is nice.

Would be interested in what driver caused this, if Marcos shares...

Again hope it all gets resolved. :)

Edited by Arakasi

Thanks for the additional feedback Arakasi.

I've considered this in the back of my mind but I'm confident things should be alright hardware-wise.  Though my PC's been steady over the years, a couple of parts were upgraded over time.  I'd consider it relatively modern and time-tested with good specs (maybe not the latest generation on a few things).

Here's a brief overview if you're curious:

• CPU:    Intel i7 920 2.66 Ghz
  • RAM:   6 GB DDR3
  • HDD:    Western Digital Caviar Black, 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache
  • Video Card:  GTX 580

I haven't run recent memory and HDD diagnostics, but the last time I did (about a year ago) things were alright.  I'd suspect more symptoms would've occured if there was a hardware issue.  I regularly run heavier applications and haven't noticed anything so far.  Still, I'd be very interested to see what the BSOD says or hints.

Thanks for your response plenum,

glad your getting acquainted with the forums.

Your probably right and it will be a driver conflict or crash, we will see.

Nice little system you have.

I'm more interested in what board you have ;)

So this is interesting, seems like a brief review has detected no immediate linkage to ESET.  Thankfully a closer look is being done.  I guess it could be a nasty update to recent programs or even looming hardware failure.

Until then, I'll maintain NOD32's diagnostic logging and research into any bad program updates (could be linked to firefox or even flash).  I'm hoping to get an idea of what caused this in the 2nd dump review. 

Will keep everyone posted!

EDIT:   A cursory check around the web found a few BSOD experiences after the December 2013 Windows Updates (seems most were with Windows 7).  Not sure how "true" this is given the variety of system setups out there, but it is something to note.  I'll keep checking for anything else.

Edited by plenum

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to report the final update/resolution:

It appears my video card driver was the source of the BSOD.  This was interesting since I had a 4-month old driver that was nice and stable (kept it this way for certain applications).  In any case, things can happen and I went ahead and updated my drivers--I'm confident this should resolve the issue.

For those that are curious, my driver was Nvidia's v327 release (september).

I'm just happy the root cause has been found.  NOD32 has been running great!

EDIT:

After some research, it appears this is entirely linked to a recent issue with Nvidia drivers and Fermi-based GPU's (400-500 series).

The latest version (332.21) allegedly fixes this (even specifically notes this) but I've had it happen again.  Did a check into the dump files and it seems it's the same driver.  If anyone else is encountering a similar problem, this is likely the cause from recent botched Nvidia drivers.

Related topic:  https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/621899/geforce-drivers/desktop-internet-browser-freeze-or-tdr-thread-w-geforce-460-560-gpus/

Edited by plenum