Jump to content

Failed to rename File error

Recommended Posts

One of our clients is having a reoccurring but infrequent issue of ESET displaying the following error: "Failed to rename file"

The following has been done so far:

  • ESET products removed with uninstall tool and reinstalled
  • ESET cache settings cleared
  • Repair of ESET installation
  • Procmon log collection – Error did not appear during log capture
  • Windows Indexing Exception added

The error looks to be infrequent and only show every few weeks at random, we initially thought this might be caused by an application that the client uses however they do not wish to add the application or its installation directory to exclusions.

Is anyone able to confirm the following:

  1. Have you seen this error anywhere else and what was the fix for the error?
  2. Is there any way of supressing the error without disabling other alerts.
  3. Is there any native logging in ESET that would show what the cause of this error is.



Edited by Tyler Reilly
Adjust wording
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello @Tyler Reilly , 

we noticed this error as well, usually it happens when Windows indexing service touches our files during the update process, which does not happen on each update, but just on some of them.

This issues is addressed in new builds (not yet publicly available)

Edit: A colleague told me, that you are a business user, what I didn't realize, sorry for that. I will try to update this thread, when I will find out the version of EES where, it should be fixed.

The easiest workaround is probably to exclude ESET folders from indexing, or just to wait for the service release.

Regards, P.R.

Edited by Peter Randziak
Business user
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...