ESET NOD32 for Linux Desktop version 4.0.87.0 crashes browsers and applications

2 hours ago, makesart said:

It's also crashing the desktop (cinnamon desktop - linux mint, and others)

I have this problem with version 4.0.87 while it works fine with version 4.0.85

On 6/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, Marcos said:

We have prepared a new version 4.0.88 which addresses the issue. It hasn't been thoroughly tested by QA yet but we've installed it on Ubuntu 18.04 x64 and didn't notice any issues with browsers. It will undergo QA testing soon and then will be released for the public.

In the mean time, you can download a 64-bit installer from here.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:38 PM, makesart said:

It's not just browsers, which has already been stated in the tickets. Your reply only mentions the proposed fix "didn't notice any issues with browsers".  It's also crashing the desktop (cinnamon desktop - linux mint, and others).   I hope that is being addressed.  The amount of difficulty this has caused me is significant. Do you have any idea how much time it took to isolate this and identify Eset as the issue??

So, it's STILL not through QA?  Did they have to write an entirely new catalog of test scripts?? 
How do I get a refund?  I haven't had a single day's use of the Linux versions. I renewed and updated the same day.  This is taking a ridiculously long time to address. QA was already working on it when you posted Thursday, as you said: "It hasn't been thoroughly tested by QA yet...". So either
     1.) They're still testing, and it's taking a while because Linux Users aren't a priority,
     2.) They're still testing, but updating Linux users of the status isn't a priority,
     3.) QA failed it for release, and updating Linux users of that isn't a priority, or
     4.) QA hasn't started yet, because Linux users are not a priority.
So, which is it?

I didn't pay for an untested version that may or may not have all bugs fixed, so "In the mean time, you can download a 64-bit installer from here." is not helpful.

Edited by makesart
forgot to address download link given

• Administrators

None of the above. A fixed version was provided by developers on Thursday evening. I've installed it and made sure that the issue doesn't manifest and then made it available for users here in the forum. Testing like everything else is planned in advanced; it's not that we compile a newer version and it will be tested overnight by robots. Testing is done by staff, not automatically by robots. Since it's weekend now and testing hasn't finished yet, I can't promise that everything will go well and that the new version will be released next week. If everything goes well and no further issues are found, then there's a good chance we could release it next week at earliest. Generally speaking, releasing a new version within a week since it was built is quite fast when speaking about software. More complex software products take event months to be properly tested and released.

As for a refund, contact your local distributor from whom you purchased the renewal. I expect it should be possible within 30 days since purchase.

4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

None of the above. A fixed version was provided by developers on Thursday evening. I've installed it and made sure that the issue doesn't manifest and then made it available for users here in the forum. Testing like everything else is planned in advanced; it's not that we compile a newer version and it will be tested overnight by robots. Testing is done by staff, not automatically by robots. Since it's weekend now and testing hasn't finished yet, I can't promise that everything will go well and that the new version will be released next week. If everything goes well and no further issues are found, then there's a good chance we could release it next week at earliest. Generally speaking, releasing a new version within a week since it was built is quite fast when speaking about software. More complex software products take event months to be properly tested and released.

As for a refund, contact your local distributor from whom you purchased the renewal. I expect it should be possible within 30 days since purchase.

I'm an IT engineer of 20 years. My QA teams could have had this tested, based on existing test scripts with some minor adjustments to directly address these bugs, in 24-48 hours for any issue of this limited scope. Unless you haven't been testing previous versions, there were no existing test scripts, and you had to start from scratch, then this should have been complete. I don't need you to supply me with guesses about QA processes that you gleaned from an internal email. I simply need factual updates. That's not complex or unreasonable.
So, clearly it was Number 2 of my list.

I purchased it directly from ESET. ESET products I have been impressed with. Support forums, not so much.

I installed the newer 4.0.88 version successfully and am not having any more trouble with Firefox. Although, I had to activate the product manually and even though the agents are checking in, remote admin is not reporting any ESET installations on those systems. Are there any other configurations or updates to the agent required to complete the setup?

• Administrators
20 hours ago, kytech said:

I installed the newer 4.0.88 version successfully and am not having any more trouble with Firefox. Although, I had to activate the product manually and even though the agents are checking in, remote admin is not reporting any ESET installations on those systems. Are there any other configurations or updates to the agent required to complete the setup?

The version v4.0.88 provided above is for home users, ie. it's not EAV Business Edition which can be managed by ERA. If everything goes well, v4.0.89 for both home and business users will be released next week.

10 hours ago, Marcos said:

The version v4.0.88 provided above is for home users, ie. it's not EAV Business Edition which can be managed by ERA. If everything goes well, v4.0.89 for both home and business users will be released next week.

Hello Marcos

Great news

Strong hug!

Serial.com

Olá Marcos

Ótima notícia

Forte abraço!

Serial.com

@makesart
eset is one of the few if not the only company still providing such av for linux so...
also as an IT you should know that linux is much more complex than windows because of all the variety of distros and desktop systems i know that nod32 is not free nor opensource but talking about refund when we know that you will still be using it and replying over here is... any way... your reaction is just not fair... also when it come to beta/release/stable etc. in linux world most of the time it takes months before a new versions is released as stable !!! its not a home cooked app that you check over scripts. and finally you are not left without solution v4.0.85 is still usable, i even wonder is you know what did they change from 85 to 87... you are not representative of the linux customers at all ! ... but in the other hand we always need someone like you to make things move lol :P at the end of the day thanks hahhaha

@Marcos
v4.0.88 have fixed the bug i confirm
v4.0.87 is still in the main site download as mentioned before ?? you are loosing some customers here...
v4.0.89 is there a test channel or something ?

Thanks

Edited by intika

2 hours ago, intika said:

@makesart
eset is one of the few if not the only company still providing such av for linux so...
also as an IT you should know that linux is much more complex than windows because of all the variety of distros and desktop systems i know that nod32 is not free nor opensource but talking about refund when we know that you will still be using it and replying over here is... any way... your reaction is just not fair... also when it come to beta/release/stable etc. in linux world most of the time it takes months before a new versions is released as stable !!! its not a home cooked app that you check over scripts. and finally you are not left without solution v4.0.85 is still usable, i even wonder is you know what did they change from 85 to 87... you are not representative of the linux customers at all ! ... but in the other hand we always need someone like you to make things move lol :P at the end of the day thanks hahhaha

@Marcos
v4.0.88 have fixed the bug i confirm
v4.0.87 is still in the main site download as mentioned before ?? you are loosing some customers here...
v4.0.89 is there a test channel or something ?

Thanks

Hello @ntika

It seems that the opinions of users, supporters and customers Eset is irrelevant, as they do not open public tests on their own website.

Parece que a opinião dos usuários, simpatizantes e clientes Eset é irrelevante, pois não abrem testes público em seu próprio site.

5b2923341fcc3_Capturadetelade2018-06-1912-33-15.thumb.png.9e4c7610977312d7ef6ba6059672642a.png

5b2923713726d_Capturadetelade2018-06-1912-32-12.thumb.png.86ee145f2833f1d5d6868df60af8db92.png

Serial.com

4 minutes ago, Serial.com said:

Hello @ntika

It seems that the opinions of users, supporters and customers Eset is irrelevant, as they do not open public tests on their own website.

Parece que a opinião dos usuários, simpatizantes e clientes Eset é irrelevante, pois não abrem testes público em seu próprio site.

Serial.com

yes indeed i just checked the beta program also after posting my message

• Administrators

We indeed have ESET Insiders program where we offer users newer versions of consumer products for Windows before they are made available for the public. Then there may be closed groups for specific users who are provided with business products for internal testing. When beta versions of other products are available, they will offered for testing as well.

The statement that ESET does not provide versions for public testing is not true. As far as I know, whoever wants to become a member of the Insider program can freely apply for membership.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

We indeed have ESET Insiders program where we offer users newer versions of consumer products for Windows before they are made available for the public. Then there may be closed groups for specific users who are provided with business products for internal testing. When beta versions of other products are available, they will offered for testing as well.

The statement that ESET does not provide versions for public testing is not true. As far as I know, whoever wants to become a member of the Insider program can freely apply for membership.

It is not what the images from the post above show. Right? Or is not the site presented this for beta?

I doubt that at this moment there are no test versions (BETA) that could be shared and tested by many so that it does not fall into the same situation as this version 4.0.87 that still remains on all Eset sites to be downloaded and installed, even with errors and problems.

The registration was done, but at the "moment" there is nothing available.

Is the link (https://eset.centercode.com/welcome/) for beta testing not for home users?

Is there another site for the BETA test version? What are the links?

5b29647f5ccce_Capturadetelade2018-06-1917-15-20.thumb.png.cf723bf28ce22fa90711e7ad1ab313d0.png

Between saying that there is a beta available and there is indeed one, there is a huge distance.

Serial.com

Edited by Serial.com

I am not pleased how the damage control of this problem has been handled. The proper course of action would have been to disable updates to 4.0.87 once the issue came to your attention. Instead more and more people are allowed to become infected with this problem.

I wish to thank @Bigdaddy who offered the link to the previous version. Yet, another thing that was obvious step in damage control but you failed to take action.

Make sure that you'll fix the 32bit version too. It's not just 64 issue.

You deleted my post? In what way was it inappropriate that I asked why there hasn't been an update to this and why isn't a link yet to the version that on June 10, you said should be here.  Two weeks ago now.

There was no inappropriate language, personal attacks, factual inaccuracies, or advertising. But, they're still no update here about the release as you said it would be. So I'm guessing that's what's inappropriate? Asking for an update?

So I finally made the switch from Windows to Linux.  I'd been a happy ESET user on Windows for years, and was glad to see that there was a version of AntiVirus for Linux available.

Downloaded it today, installed it, and found Firefox and Thunderbird crashing instantly upon startup.  Did a Google search and found this thread.

I have a simple question.  If ESET is aware that there is this problem with version .87, why is it still on your website?  With absolutely no disclaimers saying that a problem has been found with it?

On 6/20/2018 at 2:19 PM, pitkin said:

Any browser crash so far with this new 4.0.88 version. Thanks a lot

I just installed .88 now and am running Firefox and Thunderbird without a problem, so far.

Hello ESET Team,

V4.0.87 is TOTAL WAR...

Installed at 27. June 2018 on 31 Systems - all crashed!!! Two firms totally slowed down.

Checked on LinuxMINT (any flavor).

Linux-Kernel V4.4.x / V4.10.x / V4.13.x.

Crashed programs.

Firefox / Opera / Thunderbird so far...

NFS transport to NAS-server totally slow !!!

File-Browsers closed sporadically (e.g. CAJA / THUNAR)...

Login-Sreens are ALTERED!!! Why that? Complete other login-screen design used and same more...

ESET NOD32 makes daily deep-scan on every machine - found on an system 763 TROJANS and moved the files to quarantine - !!! Checked with other scanners - nothing.

Two administrator on duty since 18 hours!

What !?

STRAGIC-IT

Technical Master-Admin

H.Strobel

• Administrators
1 hour ago, STRAGIC-IT said:

Installed at 27. June 2018 on 31 Systems - all crashed!!! Two firms totally slowed down.Login-Sreens are ALTERED!!! Why that? Complete other login-screen design used and same more...

Does installing v4.0.88 make a difference? At any rate, version 4.0.90 is going to be released by the beginning of next week.

1 hour ago, STRAGIC-IT said:

ESET NOD32 makes daily deep-scan on every machine - found on an system 763 TROJANS and moved the files to quarantine - !!! Checked with other scanners - nothing.

Do you mean that ESET detected false positives? If you are not sure about a particular detection, submit the file(s) to ESET for a re-check as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb141.

Hi Marcos,

we decide to wait 2 Month to the next installation. The people are not amused about this desaster.

Not testet any other version from ESET now.

V4.0.85 detect no trojans! CLAMAV negativ, Windows-AVAST negativ.

This files stored since July 2017! Only V4.087 detect this trojans on the first run.

Now, we are happy that all machines are working correct. We will check it in the next days.

Hello Marcos,

we decided yesterday to check V4.0.90 ... ok, no more crash with OPERA / FIREFOX / THUNDERBIRD or CAJA (File-Manager)... same to NFS transfers... stable and high...

BUT - sporadically crash in the program itself... we open an log to view the ON DEMAND CHECK... works... BUT if we take to clear the log the program closed immediatly and stay closed! Only an new start from the machine bring it back.

This is sporadically... we will watch this behavior...

Greetings

STRAGIC-IT

Technical Master-Admin

H.Strobel