cannot run eset from my sign in

I really really need some assistance with this.  I have emailed eset with my trouble and received no response.  I have had numerous programs on my computer changed so they are no longer useable.  cant even open them.  all exe files are stuffed. if I put in a disc of any kind I can hear it being "read" but as far as the computer is concerned there is nothing in there.  tells me to enter a disc!  now if I go into the computer via my sons sign in.... all the same programs are as they should be.  the disc still doesn't work though and whenever I have connected a portable hard drive to back it up.... it doesn't exist either in the computer... ive tried to restore but there is apparently no restore point now...  ive run eset from my sons sign in and its been useless and found "possible" threats that it will then do nothing about...  when ive asked it to search the whole computer.  ive tried searching downloads to find something I don't recognise and cant see anything.  initially ive come to my computer to find most of the desktop icons changed to mp3 icons.  ive managed to change the default to internet explorer so I can open a web page...  ive got no money to take my computer to someone to check it out and really ive had the virus checker turned on and supposedly active so this doesn't happen! 

Hi Melanee,

Thank you for posting in ESET forums.

After thoroughly reading your post, i would have to give you my honest opinion; It sounds like you have multiple malware, potentially unwanted software, and broken services, registry items, and windows defaults that are compromised.

It would take an experienced tech to sort through your computer and restore to working order.

The fastest way to regain some minimal functionality would be to create a new profile for yourself and transfer some of your data over.

This would be one step in clean up, but not the only.

Do you have an active subscription to ESET, whether Nod32 or Smart Security ?

ESET has tech support by phone to assist in removal of malware, but repairing the operating system and restoring missing files might be out of scope.

I would suggest downloading the latest updates with ESET and running a full scan (Smart scan), from within Safe mode. Many of the malware should be removed if those conditions are met.

We can answer questions here and provide some free minimal support, but may not be within boundaries of completely restoring you to working conditions.

I hope i have helped. Feel free to check back as others may have some ideas, and official ESET response could be informative as well.

Edited by Arakasi

Sorry to hear about all your issues Melanee, did this just start to happen or have it been going on for a while?

Now this may sound like an obvious question but have you performed a system scan on your computer with ESET?

Or maybe that is what you mean when you say "asked it to search the whole computer"?

Like Arakasi said you must have more than baddie on there creating all that mess.

Follow his suggestion to scan with ESET to see if things improve.

Stupid question since you would probaly have done it if you had one, but do you have backup from a time before this started to happen that you can restore to?

If you don't have a backup, then what I would have done personally (if you know how to) I would save all what needs to be saved and start from scratch, or let a tech or maybe you got a family member or friend that can help you out to do that for you just to be on the safe side and be sure nothing is left behind.

Also, useful info to know is what OS you use e.g WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8. And what version of ESET NOD32/ESS that you have installed ?

I can't help it but to think that it doesn't sound like your current installation of ESET is working properly  :unsure:

• Administrators

I have had numerous programs on my computer changed so they are no longer useable.  cant even open them.  all exe files are stuffed.

That either means that the files were improperly infected with a virus which rendered them non-functional or they got corrupted due to a disk error.

if I put in a disc of any kind I can hear it being "read" but as far as the computer is concerned there is nothing in there.  tells me to enter a disc!

This rather sounds like a hardware problem with your DVDROM or a disk failure. I'd try inserting a disk that you can reliably read in another DVDROM.

...and found "possible" threats that it will then do nothing about...

Could you please post complete records from your ESET Detected threats log and on-demand scan logs so that we know what files were detected and what was detected?

i have an active eset/smart security which constantly updates automatically.  ive just got back on after having to repair the computer saying it had a disc repair.

i will try to answer each question...

I have downloaded the latest update for smart security through my sons sign in on this computer.  I will do this again but im not sure how to post it on here. 

as for backup, yes i did. onto a portable hard drive which when i plug into the computer now it doesnt recognise it at all.

ive tried to back up with the hp program on the computer and it gets right to the point of burning it to the disc but doesnt see the disc.  as for checking its a working disc on another device... done that and yes a disc that works elsewhere is not picked up when i put it in my computer.  i suspect the virus has actually stuffed both my portable hard drives also which means all the back ups i did are for nothing anyway.  

before i had to do the disc repair, i downloaded the exe. file fix and the rogue application remover.  the exe said it worked but the second one just wouldnt work.  i am now trying to find it again on this sign on...

its window 7  there are no restore points for most of the programs... if there are any restore points at all its from the past month while ive been trying to fix the computer.

it just said on this sign on that no rogue application has been detected...  i will update as i go  :(

Sounds like maybe your upper and lower filters may have gotten corrupted. You can try this, but not sure if it will help.

Press the Windows logo key+R to open the Run dialog box.

Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
       In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
       On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
       In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
       On the Edit menu, click Delete.
       When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
       Exit Registry Editor.
       Restart the computer.

Post back if you dont see a Lower Filters entry.

You can also try reinstalling the Optical disk drivers...

To do this, follow these steps:

Press the Windows logo key+R to open the Run dialog box.

Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.

When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.

Restart the computer.

After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

Let us know if that helps with your Optical drive not working.

Can I share a pic of what popped up on my computer screen when I entered regedit? Its basically a view downloads-Internet explorer box. says

name

regedit.exe 417kb

so you want to run our save this program?

Actions

run save

it also lists the exe-fix.bat, the eraremover & many other exe files. If I click on any of them there's a flash of a screen appearing and disappearing and it adds it again to the view download box.

I first tried it from my sign in and got the above result. On my sons sign in there are no lower filters in that folder

Edited by MelaneeG