License question

xxJackxx

• ESET Insiders

I have a 3 user license for Smart Security. Are we no longer allowed to use the ESS licenses to activate NOD32? I wanted to give it a test run and it says invalid license. It does not expire for 3 more months.

Good day Jack,

Licenses are tied to the version of ESET.

Smart security license will work on any version of Smart security, but not on Nod32 or CyberSecurity.

Edit-Correction: Smart security license should work on nod32. AFAIK

A nod32 license will work on any version of nod32.

As far as i know, this is the rule of thumb.

Edited by Arakasi

• ESET Insiders

Misfortunate if that is the case. You used to be able to use it for a lessor product.  :(

Edited by xxJackxx

Misfortunate if that is the case. You used to be able to use it for a lessor product.  :(

It must have been before version 4, because i don't recall that being the case.

However, you can easily call support and have them switch your license to a nod32 subscription. I am sure they would be accommodating.

Recently when I was having connectivity issues, to help eliminate items, I did use my SS7 license to install, run and test NOD32. Also, when I just renewed my license, when asked Matt in ESET sales/svc did say a SS7 license could be used for NOD32. Like Peter said, (I guess) a downgrade to NOD32 is ok (at least it worked for me).

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

If i recall correctly you can use ESET Smart Security license for ESET NOD32 Antivirus (not vice versa) as far as ESS is more complex solution that EAV.

That has been my previous experience, but not this time. Was there a policy change or am I just having a technical issue?

It should still be the case afaik. :)

With an ESET Smart Security license you can use ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus (NOD32 seen as a downgrade less features and cheaper)

And with an ESET NOD32 Antivirus license you can only use NOD32 (as ESS would count like an upgrade more features more expensive)

Or does this only work with licenses bought from ESET or ESET distributors, and not with licenses bought from resellers like Newegg for example? Just thinking out loud if that makes a difference......

Yeah they are an North American distributor afaik, maybe you could email them and ask what they know about (if they have changed anything with their license system) and tell them that it have worked fine doing this before with your current license and that it doesn't work now when you try. If you do email them then include a link to this thread since they have been active on the forum now and then too.