ESET Internet Security 11.1.54.0 High CPU High Memory usage

I've updated ESET from version 10 about a month and half ago, well, that's when my laptop started acting weird. 

it does not happen all the time but it happens randomly.  sometimes i can work on my laptop for several days without noticing any performance degradation, but sometimes i can hardly work on it at all unless I disable ESET's realtime protection.  When it acting up, the system was very sluggish, right click on task bar took about five minutes to show up the menu.  starting an application also takes minutes to startup.  My laptop runs on windows 10 with all the updates, and it has two SSD disks and 32 GB memory. 

the process explorer showed the ekrn.exe spending 12% cpu (fully occupying a single core), it prevents other applications to work properly: browsing internet (page failed to load), starting up applications, working with outlook, word, etc.  The process explorer also shows the ekrn.exe mulching up memory from few hundred MB to 10GB, then back down to few hundred MB and then back up to 10GB.  it does this over and over.  at one time i used the process monitor to monitor the ekrn.exe and it showed it was accessing a file constantly: c:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\registryFileStorage_globalB.cfg    (there was another registryFileStorage_globalA.cfg).  what is this file anyway?  the file is over 1GB large.

a couple of weeks ago i uninstalled ESET completely and reinstalled it.  it was ok for few days but then started malfunction again.

Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks!

Joe

• Administrators

Please generate a dump of ekrn.exe via the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> create (dump) when you notice a high memory use by ekrn. Then gather logs with ESET Log Collector and provide us with the generated archive for analysis.

the memory issue happened again today (the memory crept up to 4.04 GB and stopped and then went down and up again).  i tried to create a dump file, but it showed an error "an error occurred during memory dumping."

• 1 month later...

I followed the instruction to uninstall ESET and reinstall it.  it has been about a couple of weeks and so far so good.  Eset's cpu and memory seem to be normal and no up and downs.

thanks!