ESET "product is outdated" nag

Per this thread:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/9227-how-to-i-disable-this-recent-upgrade-to-new-version-window-that-is-appearing/

I am receiving this nag screen:

eset.png.6cd428fe6032f9da5ddd62879c941f96.png

I am a paying customer.  I do not need to be reminded that there's a new version.  I am quite happy with version 8.  Thank you.

eset2.png

Edited by mockingbird

• Administrators

It appears you have ESET NOD32 Antivirus v8 or older installed. Since V8 will have reached its EOL by the end of this year and does not provide complete protection against emerging threats as new versions, we urge users to upgrade to a newer version, ideally to v11.1.54.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

It appears you have ESET NOD32 Antivirus v8 or older installed. Since V8 will have reached its EOL by the end of this year and does not provide complete protection against emerging threats as new versions, we urge users to upgrade to a newer version, ideally to v11.1.54.

Marcos

I have UNCHECKED the option to alert me to new program versions...  I understand it will be EOL, I don't care.  Why are you IGNORING the unchecked option?

3 hours ago, Daedalus said:

you don't want to be protected...

The OP doesn't want to be forcibly protected, and he paid for this "right". All he/she is asking is that the program he paid for to behave according to the settings. 

What is so difficult to comprehend?????

52 minutes ago, claudiu said:

The OP doesn't want to be forcibly protected, and he paid for this "right". All he/she is asking is that the program he paid for to behave according to the settings. 

What is so difficult to comprehend?????

Wow how do you know he has bought ESET legally? 

And if the OP does not want to be "forcibly" protected he can as well uninstall ESET, before he complains that some Virus/Malware got onto his system while having an ESET installed . -> equals bad reputation for ESET to anyone he tells. While it is his own fault.

• Administrators

It doesn't matter if the OP has purchased the product or not. Probably he or she did and we don't have any reason to question it. The thing is v8 will have reached its EOL by the end of this year which means:

• Regular detection engine updates may continue but are not guaranteed.
  • No technical support or patches are available for this version. Basic Support may continue but is not guaranteed.

Generally we strongly recommend using the latest version for maximum protection. For instance, v8 lacks several important features, including advanced scanning of scripts, AMSI scanner, UEFI scanner, Ransomware shield, streaming updates and some other. For more information about ESET technology and protection features, please read https://www.eset.com/int/about/technology/.

28 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The thing is v8 will have reached its EOL by the end of this year

End of this year is in 7 months ; till then V8 is as good as new and is supposed to have basic support as mentioned here:

https://support.eset.com/kb3678/#eis

It is up to the paying user to decide how to use the product; it is possible the user uses a different software to protect against Ransomware, doesn't have UEFI , etc.

Think about having a 2 years old Ford, and each morning you find a sticker on your car, from Ford company asking you to get the latest model, which  is better.

ESET either has to stop supporting old version or has to stop nagging paying customers with older, still supported versions.

Is that simple.

Yes...it is the users choice to do whatever s/he chooses to do. I find it curious:wacko: that you did not quote all of Marcos' post. For example you did not include...

1 hour ago, Marcos said:
  • No technical support or patches are available for this version. Basic Support may continue but is not guaranteed.

I do not know mockingbird's reason for this foolishness. Nor do I want to know as it's none of my business. It is his/her choice to do whatever s/he chooses.

v8 good as new? I think not.:blink:

We all have the ability to do whatever we choose. But we also have to be ready to pay the consequences of our actions. Whatever that may be.

It's that simple.

Edited by TomFace

34 minutes ago, TomFace said:

This will /may happen 7 months from now: as of today , v8 is up and running. The last I checked , v11 did not perform better in AV Test /  AV Comparatives compared with v8, so the OP may have a legitimate desire in using v8.

PS: I would use v8 myself, unfortunately I cannot activate it anymore.

Edited by claudiu

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

License keys are not tied to a specific version of the software, but to the program itself.  For example, if you have a valid, legally-purchased license for ESET NOD32 Antivirus, you can use it to install ESET NOD32 Antivirus Version 8, 9, 10, or 11.  It would probably even work with older versions as well, although I wouldn't recommend it as you lose a lot of protection capabilities the further back in versions you go.  As Marcos noted, ESET has added a lot of functionality to protect against the types of threats now being seen.  Older versions of the software just are not as effective against those, requiring more weighty updates instead of calling CMPS or LiveGrid, which should have less resource impact.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 5/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, claudiu said:

This will /may happen 7 months from now: as of today , v8 is up and running. The last I checked , v11 did not perform better in AV Test /  AV Comparatives compared with v8, so the OP may have a legitimate desire in using v8.

PS: I would use v8 myself, unfortunately I cannot activate it anymore.

17 minutes ago, Aryeh Goretsky said:

Hello,

License keys are not tied to a specific version of the software, but to the program itself.  For example, if you have a valid, legally-purchased license for ESET NOD32 Antivirus, you can use it to install ESET NOD32 Antivirus Version 8, 9, 10, or 11.  It would probably even work with older versions as well, although I wouldn't recommend it as you lose a lot of protection capabilities the further back in versions you go.  As Marcos noted, ESET has added a lot of functionality to protect against the types of threats now being seen.  Older versions of the software just are not as effective against those, requiring more weighty updates instead of calling CMPS or LiveGrid, which should have less resource impact.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Answer from "Suport":

"If you're attempting to activate ESET NOD32 Antivirus Version 8, you will need to use your username and password instead of your license key.

Whatever  I buy today, has only licence key.

2 hours ago, claudiu said:

Answer from "Suport":

"If you're attempting to activate ESET NOD32 Antivirus Version 8, you will need to use your username and password instead of your license key.

Whatever  I buy today, has only licence key.

See https://support.eset.com/kb2388/  and  https://my.eset.com/convert

• ESET Moderators

[Mod Note:  As a reminder, members of the ESET Security Forum must follow the Terms of Use.  Some off-topic messages removed.]

Hello,

For assistance in converting a license key into a username and password, call your local ESET distributor or office, or contact ESET Support using the form at https://www.eset.com/int/support/contact/.  In addition to helping you with license conversion issues, they can explain the features and benefits of using up-to-date versions of ESET's software to offer the best possible protection for your computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

This thread has steered away from its original topic, so to sum it up:

• v8 as good as new till the end of the year - not true, since it lacks many protection layers added since
  • not possible to activate v8 - not true, our customer care will gladly send you your username and password based on your license key
  • v8 ignoring the "do not offer update" settings - while it may seem like it, not true. Back in the days, if we decided to issue incremental upgrade between two builds of the same version (say v8), the users could either download it manually, or have it offered automatically. This feature was not used to upgrade between versions (such as v8 to v9). The setting always was and is honored. However, since then, we have developed a more effective way of delivering upgrades, even between versions - and in order to ensure the highest level of protection to all our users (even those on older versions who had to manually check whether there was a new version available), we backported this upgrade feature to the older products as well - thus, it is a different method that is unrelated to the mentioned setting.
  • the analogy with the car dealership asking you to get a newer model is not accurate, since you would have to pay for the car, but this upgrade is free and is in the best interest of our users

Hopefully this clears up all of the unanswered or half-answered issues brought up in this thread.

Regards,
T.