Windows 10 Spring Creators Update and Nod32 AV

On ‎07‎-‎05‎-‎2018 at 8:09 PM, MrWrighty said:

I have had the ui crash on me with this combination.

Oh dear that doesn't sound so good.

Any chance one of the people working at Eset could respond to this thread?

Is Nod32 AV v 11.1.54. fully compatible with Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803? Aside from maybe this ui issue MrWrighty mentions.

Up to now I've had no problems running NOD32 version 11.1.54 on Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803.

Windows 10 32 bits 1803 spring creators update & NOD 32

I have the same problem: when the computer goes out of sleep while NOD 32 updates take place, I get this message: "security alert".

I have to restart the computer for NOD 32 to work properly again

2018-05-05 17_59_32-.png

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Gascogne said:

Windows 10 32 bits 1803 spring creators update & NOD 32
I have the same problem: when the computer goes out of sleep while NOD 32 updates take place, I get this message: "security alert". I have to restart the computer for NOD 32 to work properly again

Does temporarily disabling protected service in the HIPS setup and rebooting the machine make a difference?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Gascogne said:

A simple reboot of the computer temporarily solves this problem !

It's a question of time when it reoccurs. I'd suggest temporarily disabling protected service in the HIPS setup and rebooting the computer.

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Gascogne said:

Yes but it's still embarrassing and so it's a bug of NOD 32!

We don't blame Microsoft because we don't have a 100% proof yet but so far the root cause doesn't appear to be on ESET's part.

All of this doesn't sound very good. I think I'll just try an stay on version 1709 for a while longer.

Thankfully my system was actually able to receive and install the May 8th cumulative update (KB4103727) and not install Creators Update 1803 aloung with it.

Of course it keeps nagging me to update to 1803, but that's Windows 10 for you..

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, Marcos said:

We don't blame Microsoft because we don't have a 100% proof yet but so far the root cause doesn't appear to be on ESET's part.

Is ESET working with MS to figure this out? At the place I support, there are three computers (and will be more as the Spring update rolls out) running Windows Pro 32bit and NOD32 11.1.54 getting the security alert "Antivirus function not functional" message from ESET. Disabling HIPS and restarting doesn't help; we still get the not functional alert along with an alert that HIPS is turned off.

Thank you

• Administrators
1 minute ago, FGol said:

Is ESET working with MS to figure this out? At the place I support, there are three computers (and will be more as the Spring update rolls out) running Windows Pro 32bit and NOD32 11.1.54 getting the security alert "Antivirus function not functional" message from ESET. Disabling HIPS and restarting doesn't help; we still get the not functional alert along with an alert that HIPS is turned off.

Yes, we have reached out to Microsoft and provided them with all stuff they requested for investigation. Some other AV vendors been reporting more severe issues after upgrade to v1803 and Microsoft allegedly temporarily stopped providing the update to their users while the issue is being investigated.

After ther last Windows 10 update to   Version 1803 (OS Build17134.48)  I get this message ......

ESET NOD 32 Antivirus
Your system is exposed to risk. For
more information, click on this
notification.
5.42 PM

I  down loaded  the latest install file   ...  " eset_internet_security_live_installer.exe "   on   24/05/2018

with these properties

image.png.72b1fc7bcb5987fe645c3f383635f46f.png

I carried out the suggestions of   " Unistalling   then Reinstalling " from that  File.

The procedure performed smoothly, if a little slow.

I still get this notification  sometimes after a few minutes, other times after some hours.

the "more information" in that notification  is worthless  ¿¿   How can this be fixed ??

Incidently   although I have re-insalled    ESET Smat Security,   all EST Windows refer to  NOD32,   is this normal?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Chris Todd said:

After ther last Windows 10 update to   Version 1803 (OS Build17134.48)  I get this message ...

If you are using a 32-bit Windows 10, then it's a known issue which is being investigated by Microsoft. Rebooting the machine should fix it for a while. You can try disabling protected service and rebooting the machine which usually mitigates the issue. I'd recommend upgrading to 64-bit Windows 10, if possible.

Thanks for the prompt reply.    Thougt.... I have  windows defender running,   would this exacerbate this problem.   I have messed with computers for a long time and have attained some knowledge .... as the saying oes ... " a little knowledge is dangerous " !

23 minutes ago, Chris Todd said:

Thougt.... I have  windows defender running,   would this exacerbate this problem.

I assume you have it enabled to perform "Periodic Scanning" only? If so, the answer is maybe.

When WD is so enabled, it loads its full engine into memory at boot time and it stays there. Only the MS "God" knows why they do this. As such, it is consuming memory resources that are in short supply on a Win 10 x(86) installation. However, it has yet to be established if the current NOD32 issue is related to lack of available memory or if it is a memory access violation of some type occurring.

3 questions

1) OK,  my system is Exposed to risk.... how dangerous is this state.   I am not monitoring the screen all the time,   during a full backup for example (using  EASEUS Todo backup) which takes over 3 hours.  Is my system liable to be attacked bt a virus or other malware?

2) Is a RESTART the only way to get out of this situaation?

3) Maybe odd topic ...  I re-installed  ESET Internet Security,    yet on opening I am shown   NOD32

image.png.8d249a88a5e288820513cbca40f47254.png

on a second maching using the same install file,  it says  Internet security as expected.   I Upgraded and paid for  Internet Security   from NOD32  in August last year.  Is this normal?

13 hours ago, Chris Todd said:

Maybe odd topic ...  I re-installed  ESET Internet Security,    yet on opening I am shown   NOD32

You can install NOD32 in place of Internet Security if you have a valid Internet Security license. The reverse is not true. You can't use a NOD32 license key to activate Internet Security.

Did you uninstall NOD32 prior to installing Internet Security? Suspect you didn't and the Internet Security installation terminated when it found that NOD32 was installed.

13 hours ago, Chris Todd said:

Exposed to risk.... how dangerous is this state

If you followed @Marcos instructions on how to fix this NOD32 issue on Win 10 x(86) 1803, you should only disable the "Protected Service" option within the HIPS settings. Do not disable the HIPS entirely. This should eliminate the problem where NOD32 realtime protection is inexplicitly and randomly being disabled. As such, you are at minimal risk when using NOD32 this way since only Eset's kernel process is not being run as a protected process light antimalware service. Additionally, Eset has other self-protection features other than this option.

Edited by itman